Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Greetings to the 70's gang >

Greetings to the 70's gang

Notices

Greetings to the 70's gang

Old 08-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i must agree great read. Also welcome aboard Bill Vogel Jr.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFever29
i must agree great read. Also welcome aboard Bill Vogel Jr.
Hi Bill , Long time no hear or see, glad you found OSO, there are many great stories and many more to be told. You and I used to have a very good relationship, we always talked at the races, You were always picking my brain in a very complimentary way. We had some good races against each other, AAAAHHHHH the good old days. I just started a thread inquiring about the whereabouts of George Bartell, I would like to commission him again to do a portrait if he is up to it, He did two of me that my wife Allyson comissioned, which are great, and very special. If he is not able, maybe he could recomend someone of same mind set and quality for a very close friend of mind that I won three world championships with. All the best to you and family, I look forward to hearing from you. please email me. Richie Powers [email protected] .
Old 09-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Toad
Thanks for remembering. Here are a couple of photos. (Click the images for larger versions)

Bill Vogel

Cigarette didn't have a race deck for the 28 footer, so
Dad & I built a full-width cockpit insert to take up the extra space.
You can see it clearly in this picture.

Also Snapper Norris and Roger Hanks

Michael Allweiss here. No reason for you to remember me but my dad raced with Myles "Smiley" Johns in Production class in a 28' Magnum, Conspiracy, and then in Open Class in a 35' Cigarette of the same name. I remember your family and the Super Toad very well. I was in the mid course timing boat when you all set the world speed record in 1975. My dad and Smiley actually crashed that day! And I think we may have even visited your home on one of trips out West maybe in 1976??? I have a vague recollection of swimming in your folks' pool too??? Welcome aboard!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Registered

Richie,

To this day my dad's Bartell portrait still hangs in our law office. Timeless piece. Very cool.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike A.
Richie,

To this day my dad's Bartell portrait still hangs in our law office. Timeless piece. Very cool.
Hi Mike: I am happy to say I located George, and spoke with him yesterday. He just finished 30 custom portraits for the monterey historic races and is a little burnt, but was excited to hear from me again, and we started recalling all the past times, and celebs. associated. He has consented to do a portrait for my very close friend, it`s a surprise so can`t say name. You are so right, about his portraits, he captures everything and makes the portrait very special. Question : are you and your dad going to the old fart thing in Oct. if so you need to talk studebaker into coming with you.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered

Bill theirs also another website called donzi.net where browney and michael aronow pop in from time to time..
Old 10-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Registered

Hey Billy: Is your profile correct -- do you live in Yorba Linda, CA? I do too -- for the last 30 years! This is my first post here -- still writing columns and articles for the boating mags.

#88 "Ringleader" -- Bob Brown
Old 10-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Registered

This stuff is priceless. we need more of it on here. I've still got my very first powerboat magazine i found in my dads old filing cabinet, and it is from 1974 i think and has a picture of Super Toad in it, I think it was the Henessy cup?. I could check.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Registered

Bill. Good To See Are Well . I Build Small Cats For Fishing Now But Still `love The Cats. Errol-- Web Site Laniercustomboats.com
Old 05-21-2022, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Bill. I was wondering if you'd be happy to chat about those days? I'm doing a little research and trying to get to know all the charcaters and you of course, were in the thick of it!

Would love to chat if you have time?

David