Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
24' Sonic twin o/b resto >

24' Sonic twin o/b resto

Notices

24' Sonic twin o/b resto

Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures look great ! Do you have a projected speed ? How much gas do you carry ? Cruising the BAHAMAS would be great W / O/B ! "HIGH LIFE"
Old 12-10-2010, 05:24 AM
Registered

Received 1,905 Likes on 743 Posts
Default Yep.......

Originally Posted by HIGH LIFE
Pictures look great ! Do you have a projected speed ? How much gas do you carry ? Cruising the BAHAMAS would be great W / O/B ! "HIGH LIFE"
I previously had an identical boat to this one.Owned it 7 yrs and with similar power. I built these motors and hot rodded them a bit while still trying to keep them as fuel efficient as possible and able to run on low octane fuel.
The boat carries 89 gls of fuel so I have to plan my trips as I end up w/a range of about 100 mls if I'm nice to it. Problem is I always end up in some nice water in part of the trip and economy goes straight in the toilet. The old boat spent it's life in Lake Erie and every weekend I could afford it I'd leave south shore of lake around Marble Head and head to Leamington Ontario on north shore. That trip was about 45 mls each way and I'd make it back to the trailer w/between 1/8 and 1/4 tank if I was being nice.
I will be taking jerry cans of fuel w/me to Grand Bahamas
The old boat ran right at 80 when all was well and I'm hoping for similar w/this one.
I think I saw you post on S/F and said your boat runs 80 w/twin 300X's. If that was you, can you post or link to some pix's of your boat?? Love to see it.
Here's a picture of this boat at about 67 before being stripped and gutted.

Rick, that trip is a large reason of why we live here and agreed.

Premier, thanks and yes. I've been researching it for a while. Our target is West End of Grand Bahamas Island. Closest point as a crow flies and I think has everything we're looking for which is: beach, marina w/shower & restroom and tiki bar/restaurant. We are going to fly or cruise over to do a recon mission before going by boat. We weekended on the old boat up north and will do same down here. We have everything aboard to do 2 or 3 days on the hook before needing to hit land for provisions. I don't like nor need the plush marinas for what I'm into. I built the boats new sun lounge big enough to hold a 8' inflatable and already have the motor for it. We also carry 2 fold up bicycles which save you a ton over renting a golf cart or car especially over there. We almost did our recon mission a couple weeks ago and a rental car on Grand Bahamas was over $125. for a day!
Attached Thumbnails 24' Sonic twin o/b resto-x6mp1f.jpg   24' Sonic twin o/b resto-3hp.jpg  

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 12-10-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll be down for that trip when i finish putting my boat back together
Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Registered

Default Cool.

Originally Posted by sixmassive
i'll be down for that trip when i finish putting my boat back together
Safety in #'s. My issue has always been finding like minded boaters w/similar rigs in the way of performance etc. When up north almost all our trips were solo as all my friends would hit the close islands that were only a couple mls offshore saving their rigs and a ton of money. Or they were trailerable cruisers that cruised at 30. My boat will stay on plane at 30 but it's a pig. Normally ended up being chief navigator/leader too so they could follow and (drink) not take any responsibility in knowing where they were going etc, etc. Did one trip where part of the group decided to wait until the next day to follow us to Pelee Island in Canadian water of Erie where none of them had ever been before. We were all (that came over the day before) drinking coffee on our boats at Pelee the next morning listening to them on ship to shore trying to figure out where they were. They got me on the radio to ask for directions. They thought they were beside Pelee and when I asked them which side they were on they replied "the left side" Then one of them bumped their kill switch shutting down their motor and the panicked captain then got on the radio calling "may day, may day" to which the Coast Guard immediately responded to!
Best part was realizing the entire marina was listening after hearing them laugh at parts of the broadcast
2nd thing is finding someone that actually thinks it's fun to stay on their boat and at anchor. I remember one time making breakfast on the beach w/my portable propane grill. Was making the Mrs. eggs, potatoes, ham, toast and of course coffee when a guy and his wife walked up to chat. They were anchored just down from us on a 45' Sea Ray. Guy looked at his wife then to me and says, "I had cold cereal this morning" and walked away
For this trip another issue would be having too big of boats also. What's snotty for a 24' Sonic ain't for a 40' Fountain.
Florida Power Boat Club does an annual trip but only boats either 28 or 30 and bigger are invite which I understand.
Haven't put all the logistics together yet but working on it. So far gas looks to be the biggest issue and expense. Next would be water. Thinking probably 2 or 3 5 gl jerry cans of gas and one for water. Once to West End it looks to be pretty well protected from there east and has many, many local islands to explore.
I have a chart and have been studying it.
Figure a week would be OK if weather was good but 2 would be better just in case.
Normally we do 2 nights on the hook and then get dock at a nice marina for hot showers etc on the 3rd day then repeat. I have a solar heated, camping shower also.
Long ways off but fun planning.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Safety in #'s. My issue has always been finding like minded boaters w/similar rigs in the way of performance etc. When up north almost all our trips were solo as all my friends would hit the close islands that were only a couple mls offshore saving their rigs and a ton of money. Or they were trailerable cruisers that cruised at 30. My boat will stay on plane at 30 but it's a pig. Normally ended up being chief navigator/leader too so they could follow and (drink) not take any responsibility in knowing where they were going etc, etc. Did one trip where part of the group decided to wait until the next day to follow us to Pelee Island in Canadian water of Erie where none of them had ever been before. We were all (that came over the day before) drinking coffee on our boats at Pelee the next morning listening to them on ship to shore trying to figure out where they were. They got me on the radio to ask for directions. They thought they were beside Pelee and when I asked them which side they were on they replied "the left side" Then one of them bumped their kill switch shutting down their motor and the panicked captain then got on the radio calling "may day, may day" to which the Coast Guard immediately responded to!
Best part was realizing the entire marina was listening after hearing them laugh at parts of the broadcast
2nd thing is finding someone that actually thinks it's fun to stay on their boat and at anchor. I remember one time making breakfast on the beach w/my portable propane grill. Was making the Mrs. eggs, potatoes, ham, toast and of course coffee when a guy and his wife walked up to chat. They were anchored just down from us on a 45' Sea Ray. Guy looked at his wife then to me and says, "I had cold cereal this morning" and walked away
For this trip another issue would be having too big of boats also. What's snotty for a 24' Sonic ain't for a 40' Fountain.
Florida Power Boat Club does an annual trip but only boats either 28 or 30 and bigger are invite which I understand.
Haven't put all the logistics together yet but working on it. So far gas looks to be the biggest issue and expense. Next would be water. Thinking probably 2 or 3 5 gl jerry cans of gas and one for water. Once to West End it looks to be pretty well protected from there east and has many, many local islands to explore.
I have a chart and have been studying it.
Figure a week would be OK if weather was good but 2 would be better just in case.
Normally we do 2 nights on the hook and then get dock at a nice marina for hot showers etc on the 3rd day then repeat. I have a solar heated, camping shower also.
Long ways off but fun planning.
Only thing I cant do on that list is stay on the boat, wife wont go unless she has a bed, maybe I'll leave her home
Old 12-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Registered

Default We need to talk cuz.......

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Only thing I cant do on that list is stay on the boat, wife wont go unless she has a bed, maybe I'll leave her home
if done right she won't let you take the boat out unless you do stay on it!
You have to plan for it, pack for it, have good weather etc, etc.
But IF you do things right....., watch out! Here's the scenario, You have everything packed, watched the weather forecast, know where you're going, get there early so you can spend the day on the beach (needs to be semi private) in the sun.
Serve her already made sandwich's for lunch while still hanging out on the beach.
Then at dinner time fire up a grill (if you have room for it) or another pre-prepared meal but a nicer one.
At this point it's turning to evening and everyone/almost else will leave. Now you guys are by your self on the beach/boat and watch the sun set w/your favorite adult beverage.
Put on her favorite beach music and if you brought a fine cigar, now's the time. Now you're both in the mood, she's blown away by you having your **** together, how well you ran the boat, etc, etc and thinks you're a stud. Well you know what happens next. The cuddy cabin with the bow hatch open, in the moon light , or on the beach,.....ROCK STAR SEX!
Serve breakfast and coffee the next morning to seal the deal.
I sold a 32' sedan flybridge to buy my 1st Sonic. The Mrs at the time was used to blow dryers and curling irons kind of thing.
She never looked back.
Course it could just be me
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Registered

Twin O/B Sonic, Yes, I have a MAGNUM Sedan w/ twin 300X's. Pictures are on Donzi.net, talk about other boats, Rescued Mag Sports, post #87 & #90. Re: gas tanks, I have 2-50 gal. tanks under cockpit floor & 2-32 gal. tanks where the motors were aft to transom, 164 gal total... for the longer cruises. "HIGH LIFE"
Old 12-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
if done right she won't let you take the boat out unless you do stay on it!
You have to plan for it, pack for it, have good weather etc, etc.
But IF you do things right....., watch out! Here's the scenario, You have everything packed, watched the weather forecast, know where you're going, get there early so you can spend the day on the beach (needs to be semi private) in the sun.
Serve her already made sandwich's for lunch while still hanging out on the beach.
Then at dinner time fire up a grill (if you have room for it) or another pre-prepared meal but a nicer one.
At this point it's turning to evening and everyone/almost else will leave. Now you guys are by your self on the beach/boat and watch the sun set w/your favorite adult beverage.
Put on her favorite beach music and if you brought a fine cigar, now's the time. Now you're both in the mood, she's blown away by you having your **** together, how well you ran the boat, etc, etc and thinks you're a stud. Well you know what happens next. The cuddy cabin with the bow hatch open, in the moon light , or on the beach,.....ROCK STAR SEX!
Serve breakfast and coffee the next morning to seal the deal.
I sold a 32' sedan flybridge to buy my 1st Sonic. The Mrs at the time was used to blow dryers and curling irons kind of thing.
She never looked back.
Course it could just be me
My wife grew up in Boca, nuff said Besides, no hatches in my deck
Old 12-11-2010, 05:34 AM
Registered

Default can't find...

Originally Posted by HIGH LIFE
Yes, I have a MAGNUM Sedan w/ twin 300X's. Pictures are on Donzi.net
your rig. Can you post a link?
Just saw the other sedan for sale and I really like it. Do you have pix's of the cabin on yours??
Old 12-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Gary!!!
We were in sarasota last week and thinking of you. I'll be a retired fireman in 6mo and 26 days. I still wanna do Bimini!
New motors in the Velocity this year and didn't get her splashed till late Oct. Got 79.2mph till we ran outa lake at Salt Fork doing a 50mph 180* turn between the ski and no wake bouys. Only 8-9hrs on them yet... She'll run solid 80s.

Pulled drives today and motors comming back out for check up cuz I can... That's how I winterize.
Fresh shortblocks w/new Aluminum heads this time.

Cant post pics here but
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBt7cGuILIg

Can't wait to see you again... I know you'll be up here sooner or later and we'll to Buckeye and Erie. Then I'll be down in the fall and make the Bahama run w/ya Bro!

Mark & Becky

Last edited by Underdog88; 12-11-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.