Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need updates!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 1,905 Likes on 743 Posts

Had to run the little boat to verify I was ready/able to walk away from that style boat. I am.
A 100 in a 19' V bottom in foot and half chop w/a 15 mph wind (weekend after these shots were taken) is about equal to REALLY,REALLY good sex. Actually the set up was so far off this trip that it was scarier in those conditions at 96 than at 100 in the slop!
Probably 20 mph's left on the table. Took it home, stripped it and sold everything but the motor. It all sacrificed it's life so that the Sonic might live
I think I'm a wk or two from splashing the Sonic. Have almost everything in hand to finish it.
Here's a couple pix's for grins.

#1. from the Allison ride.

These were all shot 2 mls from my house. Saw dolphin while out. The ramp is on a causeway that crosses the Intra Costal. At it's highest you can see 10 mls north and south in the I.C., the Sebastian Inlet bridge 10 mls away and the Atlantic 1 mile away.
Common to see long range cruises heading south under it.

The bling collection (not counting 3 others already in box's) preparing to go to a better place.

The last and I think final addition to the prop collect for the Sonic. Labbed 26" Bravo 1's.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 05-04-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Holy wow!!! thats sooooo fast. I've been dying for this thread to pop up with updates!! Awesome job on that little rocket twins, but can't wait to see the updates on the Sonic!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Registered

It's alive and wet.
Ran it today for the first time for real. Put about an hour on it just to make sure I didn't miss anything too bad. Everything worked awesome! Been a long time since I've spent any time in a bigger boat like this. No more slowing down and getting beat by wakes and I kept the motors quiet on this one and (last one had open exhaust and velocity stacks on the carbs) at 40 MPH's all you can hear is the wind and I am diggin it!!
Tomorrow we load the boat with beer and head to the islands for the day. Buffet on the stereo, my lovely wife beside me, the beach, a fine seagar and celebrate the end of 2 yrs of work.

Running Bravo 1 wheels for the first time and loven em so far. 26" @ 3500 is 40 MPH cruise and I don't think I could ask for much better than that. They are definitely steep compared to what I'm used to but I guess with the added blade and additional diameter. The motors are about 4" higher than when I started and they don't even think about spinning to get on plane like on the old Sonic. Already plugged the top two water inlets and still drop pressure in turns.
Can tell the motors are way up too because it trys to hop at low speeds and it never did that before.

The electric primers are the **** too! All new controls from what I'm used to and in new locations. Will take a while to get used to it.

Only have 3 1/2 of 10 hrs of break in so just cruising for now. Probably for the better cuz I can remember the old one trying to bite me when not paying attention.
Depending of conditions we'll probably head for the Atlantic tomorrow. Nothing like being far enough out that no one can see you to tell what you're doing

Old 06-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've been waiting to see this for so long!!!! Looks awesome twin! Glad your enjoying your hardwork
Old 06-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Very nice!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Awesome!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Registered

Thnx guys. Looking forward to spending tomorrow on it.
Hasn't sunk in yet but that should be a start.

Here's a pretty good "before" shot. This is at the Tiki Bar 3 mls from our house. Going to try and duplicate that shot tomorrow w/the "new" boat. Might be a slick one to save in the scrap book.
Been waiting to get the boat done before posting much about playing with the "big" (for me) boats again.
Can't tell you how nice it felt running it today and not hearing screaming motors in my ears and get the **** beat out of me on every wave/wake. Made do w/the little boats to get here but reality is that just slowed me way down on finishing the damn thing.
Just bought a really good, $90. Bahama's chart book that is very detailed and fun to look at and plan.....
Got my fuel flow sensors for my GPS yesterday so looking forward to playing w/set up and wheels while watching efficiency.
Seeing 40 @ 3500 today was very satisfying. Thinking I remember reading somewhere that motors are most efficient at their torque peak. W/what I've done to these motors it ought to be 4500ish. I might be able to end up w/a decent cruising range at upper 40's to 50 which would be huge for this boat.
At 40 the hull is just starting to clean up and at 50 it is running very free.
Anxious to do some tuning too to get rid of that damn smoke.

We have a week off in late September and if the planets align we may either go play in Lake Erie or head to West End at Grand Bahama Island.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 06-24-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Gary,

Bring her down to the Keys July 16!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:41 AM
Registered

Default I'm thinkin......

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Congrats Gary,

Bring her down to the Keys July 16!!!
Don't know when yet as funds are wayyy low but yeah that will be one of our first trips. We just talking last night about how much fun it used to be towing the old Sonic where ever we wanted and having a place to stay. That will cut our Key's trip expenses in 1/2!
Used to tow it to Lake Erie and when the lake was too rough we'd just go bar hopping w/the boat behind us.
When we were done we'd just crawl in the cabin

Always liked this shot. Lake was nasty so we did the Port Clinton bar tour and ended up closing this place down and then ate breakfast there the next morning. Like staying at a H.I. Express and getting a continental breakfast

Also looking forward to the waters around Ft. Myers Beach, Sanibelle, Captiva, Kayo Costa etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.