Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
24' Sonic twin o/b resto >

24' Sonic twin o/b resto

Notices

24' Sonic twin o/b resto

Old 06-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary, I spent a LOT of time drinking at the bar in the background of your pix waiting on the Miller ferry.....

Congrats on your new boat!

SCT
Old 06-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 1,969 Likes on 780 Posts

Shannon, yes sir.

So far it's the Atlantic one and the Sonic zero. Made it out the inlet into the ocean for a bit by knew something wasn't right with the lower unit on the port motor. Pulled the plug and first thing out was teeth off of the forward gear. The L/H unit of course. But, built it from junk and tried some things that evidently did not work
I knew weather was coming when we put in and my timing would have perfect on two motors. On one......., was just a bit outside

Enjoy the pix's. The weather caught us a 1/2 mile from the trailer.
Interesting too we were doing 6.5 MPH's on one motor until we entered the inlet and rode in the incoming tide. 10.5 MPH's equaling a 4 MPH current w/the tide..

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 06-25-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic

Also looking forward to the waters around Ft. Myers Beach, Sanibelle, Captiva, Kayo Costa etc

I would be up for the trip to the west coast also, did it last year, and probably gonna do it again this year, late summer.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:56 AM
Registered

Default I think I'm gonna have to change the name of the boat.

It's named "Cocky" for now but may change soon unless my luck does first. My $560. set of LH gears showed up last Friday and we ran the boat a 2nd time Saturday.
Pretty ****ty day on the water. Both motors starving for fuel, to the point that the starboard motor wouldn't even run in gear so we came back AGAIN on one motor. This time the port w/the new gears.
Once on the trailer I spun the LH prop by hand and felt grinding.
Pulled it BACK down yesterday and it munched the ($560.!!!!) gears AGAIN. This time it even took out the reverse gear WHICH is not included in a LH replacement set.
Argghhhh.

New name could be something like.............., uhm.... I don't know? "Shoot me in the head"?, "Kick me in the balls"?, "REALLY?", "WHAT?"

The piggy bank is empty so now it sits.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Twin, that sucks! Sorry to hear. I had my expensive induction into the boaters club sunday. Hit an unmarked rock shoal, tore my skep off, ruined a custom 4blade ss prop, bent a prop shaft and thankfully that appears to be all...
Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Registered

Thanks.

But, totally self inflicted. Way presumptuous on my part in what I thought I could pull off. The boat is basically done and is correct. The motors are as well other than the LH unit and maybe the VRO pump's. Last run both motors were acting like they were starving for gas which is quite possible. I had the tank out and cleaned but it went back in and then spent 2 yrs upside down so who knows what may be in there??? Will check the water seperating fuel filters as soon as I can psyche my self up to dealing with clouds of mosquito's, 90* temp's and 100% humidity for a couple hrs. Worked 1/2 a day last Saturday and lost 5 lbs.
About out of gray matter and green.
The power heads have 7 hrs on them w/o a hitch (and are correct) but the rest of the crap that I dug out of boxes and screwed to them........maybe not so much
A temporary change of course may be to re-power the boat w/a pair of clean/stock loopers until the piggy bank re-fills so I can buy new parts for the current motors. That'd get us on the water and doing what what me moved down here 5yrs ago to do

I start thinking single I/O replacement until reading what some of those guys are going through to get their boats to run good

We'll get there.

PS, sorry to hear about your bad luck.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Registered

Finally something to smile about. Spent yesterday on the boat. Weather was perfect, atlantic was running 2' or so (!!) and motors are finally starting to run. Saw 75 indicated w/set up way off. Motors are too high and boat hops unless you run down tab. Port motor still has issues and seems to be limiting itself to about 5K-ish. W/the starboard pulling 6200+ and the set up being so far off and to still see 75, I'm happy.
Ran 15 - 20 mls in the ocean between 45 and 65 and had a blast!
Stopped and swam in 35' of water and you could see the bottom..
Was really tough to stay so close but until I get EVERYTHING sorted....
Here's some pix's.
"BEFORE"

"AFTER"

Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Registered

Looking Good... keep at it !!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Twins, I freakin love that boat!!! Glad your getting to enjoy it even though it isn't perfect yet, and I bet the rooster tail was fun
Old 08-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats,

So now that your running right, when am I coming up to run with y'all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.