Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
24' Sonic twin o/b resto >

24' Sonic twin o/b resto

Notices

24' Sonic twin o/b resto

Old 08-16-2011, 04:43 AM
Registered

Received 1,905 Likes on 743 Posts

Thanks guys, getting there. Planning on doing the vinyl this winter. Then it should really pop.
Difficult to stay focused now that it's running good enough to use
Going to pull up the floor this weekend to check fuel p/u's and replace sending unit.
Running in the Atlantic last weekend really felt great and reminded me how much fun it is to pick a destination and go.
REALLY, REALLY wanted to head to Port Canaveral for a couple beers and to watch the cruise ships that line up and head out every Sunday but funds are too tight for that much gas right now.

And Rick, we're very close my friend.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Thanks guys, getting there. Planning on doing the vinyl this winter. Then it should really pop.
Difficult to stay focused now that it's running good enough to use
Going to pull up the floor this weekend to check fuel p/u's and replace sending unit.
Running in the Atlantic last weekend really felt great and reminded me how much fun it is to pick a destination and go.
REALLY, REALLY wanted to head to Port Canaveral for a couple beers and to watch the cruise ships that line up and head out every Sunday but funds are too tight for that much gas right now.

And Rick, we're very close my friend.

Lemme know, I wanna check out your area.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved reading the thread! I spy a change on the stern...
Old 09-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Registered

Default Thank You Sir.

Originally Posted by SLT Kota
Loved reading the thread! I spy a change on the stern...
I've done a bunch of boat modification/restoration projects but this one was quite the test.

And yeah, the stern is about to change back to my motors
Old 09-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered

Finally found an anchor light I could make work.

Filled in the OEM location on the aft deck and wanted one on top of the windshield.
The OEM location was too low to be seen over the bow by approaching boats and even worse when on the hook at night.
The windshield is the answer but couldn't find the right length that folded down.
To mount there I also wanted it taller than normal to keep glare out of your eyes while running at night and also to keep from attracting bugs to the boat.
Was looking at engineering my own telescoping light when I wandered through the marine dept at Walmart and bingo.
They now have a telescoping light that extends from I think 22" to about 40".
It is designed as removable/plug in though so there was mod #1.
#2. it was too long to keep from banging on the deck while running.

So........., tore it apart, cut it down 4", painted it black, contoured the mounting base to match the angle of the windshield, converted to permanent mount and mounted to my pivoting mount.
Black so it matches the black windshield frame and permanent/knock down mount so I don't have to store it.

I know it's a bunch of work for something simple but for what we do it was high up on my list.

I know the mount looks like a giant hemorrhoid from this angle but in the boat you hardly notice it. Was ironic too that I was channel surfing last night and saw an episode of Miami Vice w/the Chris Craft on it and it has the same light! (not telescoping)

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 09-19-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

Went to the Keys last week and popped it's cherry. Other than a new defective ignition switch, the boat ran great and had zero issues.
I'm going to drop the motors 2" though as soon as I get a chance.
The boat tries to hop at any kind of speed unless I run down tab which the old boat never did nor this one until raising the bracket/motors 4"
As is they're too high to run my Choppers which were the old boats favorite wheels. I really like the Bravo 1's I've been running too but haven't run anything else at speed yet to have any kind of comparison.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still one of my favorite older boats and really makes me think repeatedly about an O/B boat. Keep up the work and enjoy her!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

------Every time I take a look at this thread I see my 1975 DONZI El Pescador and my Spitfire. The hulls are identical. Mine have IOs and I love every minute in them. Best 24 hull on earth as far as I am concerned!!!.....Bill S
Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by olredalert
------Every time I take a look at this thread I see my 1975 DONZI El Pescador and my Spitfire. The hulls are identical. Mine have IOs and I love every minute in them. Best 24 hull on earth as far as I am concerned!!!.....Bill S
and every time I see this thread I picture the jerks sending the molds to the dump...
Old 10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

------Got that right, S.B.------Bill S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.