1981 Shadow Cat Restoration thread >

1981 Shadow Cat Restoration thread

Notices

1981 Shadow Cat Restoration thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
Looks good , plenty thick and I'd install a couple of gussets .
Why two layers of balsa over tunnel ?
The two layers were how it was built originally. What exactly is a gusset? I may already be planning on installing them, but not sure what that is.

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
OMG !!!

Why did I click on this thread ???

I am going to have nightmares for weeks !!!

WOW George !!!

I had no idea you had this project going on !

Coming along great !

Keep up the good work ...

Here is an old pic of the Apollo II that I used to race...

Sorry to bring up bad memories Tim!! What year did you race?

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
just a little o2,,before you start laying up the transom you will want to reinforce the outside of it,the heat from the resin may make it all waive,don't clamp directly to the transom,cut 2 1'' pieces of plywood and clamp the inner ply to the outer ply so it stays straight..
Thanks for the suggestion
Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Registered

Nov 28th Didn't have the correct "filler" so I used the heaver silica to at least get started. The original drain plugs were drilled into the bottom and tunnel cores with no type of sealant. I made sure there was no type of coring in the area for that to happen again. I'll also be adding a drain for the center of the tunnel. I had hoped on getting more done but it took an extra 2 hours to get the rest of my supplies. I'm almost out of resin so I may have a week off to work grinding out the rear section of the deck.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:24 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TGC-32
If I recall correctly, "Docksider" later became "Insanity". I think "Apollo" was different boat.
Sounds about right !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 11-29-2011, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: HILLSBOROUGH, NJ OCEAN BEACH, NJ & LIDO KEY FLORIDA

Who owned Apollo ?, Manny ?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Yes.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:15 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

The gussets would be glassed in triangular braces tying the tunnel to the transom .
I guess if they were necessary Shadow would have already put them in . Sometimes I should just shut up .
Looking good kid . Keep going !
Old 11-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aex
The gussets would be glassed in triangular braces tying the tunnel to the transom .
I guess if they were necessary Shadow would have already put them in . Sometimes I should just shut up .
Looking good kid . Keep going !
Gussets/knees.... I need to get this boat lingo down. I was planning on adding something down to the tunnel as well as some corner braces.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

On my Laser restoration, I ran the knees right up to the deck and tied it all in. With the abuse the OB's put on the transoms especially with set back brackets, this was a no brainer for me to build it as tough as possible...

George, in that wedge area of the tunnel, it does take a lot of abuse. There was a repair that let go on Insanity that blew that whole section out and the boat sank. Having done work on the boat just prior to that race, I was relieved to find out it wasn't an area I had worked on. It actually broke just beyond the area that I had worked on...

Old 12-01-2011, 01:52 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
On my Laser restoration, I ran the knees right up to the deck and tied it all in. With the abuse the OB's put on the transoms especially with set back brackets, this was a no brainer for me to build it as tough as possible...

George, in that wedge area of the tunnel, it does take a lot of abuse. There was a repair that let go on Insanity that blew that whole section out and the boat sank. Having done work on the boat just prior to that race, I was relieved to find out it wasn't an area I had worked on. It actually broke just beyond the area that I had worked on...
Insanity was built after George and I left and had a much lighter laminate than spec....( Based on a "better idea" that Bill Gazell had...something I would not have permitted...)

T2x
Old 12-01-2011, 01:55 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock85
Gussets/knees.... I need to get this boat lingo down. I was planning on adding something down to the tunnel as well as some corner braces.
Your boat should not be compared to others regarding the need for transom braces/gussets. Shadow Cats are full monococque construction meaning that the sides and deck are fully cored and create a solid "unibody". The cored bailing well, deck, and sides act as transom stiffeners and give plenty of support at the transom-tunnel junction....even for triple engines.

Keep up the good work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.