Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
1981 Shadow Cat Restoration thread >

1981 Shadow Cat Restoration thread

Notices

1981 Shadow Cat Restoration thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So how are you getting it stripped off? Looks really nice and a hell of good job!
Old 08-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD ASS SCARAB
So how are you getting it stripped off? Looks really nice and a hell of good job!
I'm using a pneumatic da sander as well as a random orbital palm. 180 grit that takes forever. 3x3area is about an hour. I've gone through about 70 sheets so far on one side and the stern. For the stickers I have a paint stripping tool with a rubber eraser type wheel that easily pulls them off.

The weather is sketchy today so I may just take the other boat out to charge the batteries. If not I'll try and finish up the one side.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by prostock85
I'm using a pneumatic da sander as well as a random orbital palm. 180 grit that takes forever. 3x3area is about an hour. I've gone through about 70 sheets so far on one side and the stern. For the stickers I have a paint stripping tool with a rubber eraser type wheel that easily pulls them off.

The weather is sketchy today so I may just take the other boat out to charge the batteries. If not I'll try and finish up the one side.
I used to do Auto Body and paint. Have you tried 80 grit pads then follow up with the 180 for your final? 180 is really good for feather edging and priming and guide coating and block out. If you used 80 for inital then follow up with 180 I really think it would go quicker. Not telling you what to do because your doing a great job just trying to save you some time.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Registered

I used to do Auto Body and paint. Have you tried 80 grit pads then follow up with the 180 for your final? 180 is really good for feather edging and priming and guide coating and block out. If you used 80 for inital then follow up with 180 I really think it would go quicker. Not telling you what to do because your doing a great job just trying to save you some time.
I wanted to use something heavier to get through the paint but the store I was at didn't have anything more course in stock. Home Depot doesn't carry any stick on 6" stuff. It's all hook and loop now.

What should I use for boarding it? I was planning on going up to 600 to 320-400 to prep for paint but I've got no idea where to start. At what point do I go wet, 220, 320, 400? Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by prostock85
August 5th

Spent most of the day running around doing errands and such but got to spend a few hours with 2 sanders today. The local Home Depot didn't have any stick on 6" sanding disks so with the advice from Nordic95 I went to my local car parts place that sells auto body supplies. The had basically nothing in stock so I picked up 100 disks of both 180 and 220. I'm only using it to remove the paint on the transom and sides but figured out today that the bottom is painted as well... Looks like the boat was originally a teal/turquoise color. Time for bed so I can continue in the AM.

Fyi, I'm using a Husky DA and Dayton palm ransom orbital (both pneumatic). The DA is faster for larger areas but I feel I have much more control with the palm.

go to home depot and buy a hand electric wood planer,,long extension cord and hook it to your shop vac to keep the mess down.when using the palner go the full legnth of the hull with out stopping to keep from making waves in the side of the hull .when coating over bare fiberglass to get it ready for paint or gel get some duratec VE primer(baby blue stuff) it will fill any voids yp to 50 mil thick and sands like butter..its like spray on spot putty lol..thats only if your going beyond the gelcoat..

Last edited by FIXX; 08-07-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Registered

Wanted to drop you a line and see if I can help you. Stay away from homo depot where you want to go is either a napa or a autobody and paint store ask for a box of 80 grit da sand paper with the stick em on the back. Your DA has the standard backing plate on it. The DA paper has glue already in place just stick and peel. This will pay for it self in halft the time. When you have all the gell coat off then go with the 180 paper to rough it up for the primer. At the paint store they have this stuff called prepsol its for degreasing your surface. It removes the waxes and oil off your surface before you prime. If you dont degrease you will have fish eye all over the place and you will have to strip it off and start over. Also use the good blue shop toweles in the roll you can get them anyplace they dont leave lint behind like standard paper toweles, You are more than wellcome to call me I live in Nev I am on Pacific time region if you call before 10 pm my time is fine, I dont want give you anymore tips untill you have everything removed and in primer.
I tried to PM you but your box is full and wont take any more.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd focus on repairing the rot. When I restored my sleekcraft (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...ld-thread.html), I got caught up in aesthetics, and it wasted a ton of time. It'd be a better idea to get all that rot OUT of the boat, focus on cutting new ply, and glassing it back together. The transom is what you should be working on now, not the outside of the hull.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cash68
I'd focus on repairing the rot. When I restored my sleekcraft (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...ld-thread.html), I got caught up in aesthetics, and it wasted a ton of time. It'd be a better idea to get all that rot OUT of the boat, focus on cutting new ply, and glassing it back together. The transom is what you should be working on now, not the outside of the hull.
I agree but I don't have any spare money right now so instead of sitting idle I figure I can keep busy. Plus I needed a break from lying in the bilge area. Not only that but the weather was very suspect this weekend and I didn't want to uncover the boat to end up getting rain inside the good exposed wood areas. I don't see how it's considered wasting time since it has to be done anyways. Sometimes you just need a change in scenery (and itchiness).

Btw, I just opened your thread and realized I read thewhole thing a week or so back. You did a he'll of a job. Keep up the good work. I'm waiting for my spare vehicle to well to get some material funding.

Last edited by prostock85; 08-08-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
go to home depot and buy a hand electric wood planer,,long extension cord and hook it to your shop vac to keep the mess down.when using the palner go the full legnth of the hull with out stopping to keep from making waves in the side of the hull .when coating over bare fiberglass to get it ready for paint or gel get some duratec VE primer(baby blue stuff) it will fill any voids yp to 50 mil thick and sands like butter..its like spray on spot putty lol..thats only if your going beyond the gelcoat..
Thanks for the advice but I wasn't planning on going to the glass. I just wanted to remove the old paint for noe and possible rough it up a bit so when it comes time to prime it won't be soo time consuming. What do you recommend for filling in holes up to 1/2"?? And up to 2-3"? Thanks in advance

George
Old 08-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Registered

Wanted to drop you a line and see if I can help you. Stay away from homo depot where you want to go is either a napa or a autobody and paint store ask for a box of 80 grit da sand paper with the stick em on the back. Your DA has the standard backing plate on it. The DA paper has glue already in place just stick and peel. This will pay for it self in halft the time. When you have all the gell coat off then go with the 180 paper to rough it up for the primer. At the paint store they have this stuff called prepsol its for degreasing your surface. It removes the waxes and oil off your surface before you prime. If you dont degrease you will have fish eye all over the place and you will have to strip it off and start over. Also use the good blue shop toweles in the roll you can get them anyplace they dont leave lint behind like standard paper toweles, You are more than wellcome to call me I live in Nev I am on Pacific time region if you call before 10 pm my time is fine, I dont want give you anymore tips untill you have everything removed and in primer.
I tried to PM you but your box is full and wont take any more.
Just traded the roll of 220 I had for some 100. I'm not trying to go through the gel, just roughen it up a bit.

On a side note. My PMs are full due to the whole LDD lawsuit for a year and some back. I have about 40 PM's that I cant yet get rid of yet even though I won the case. My email is [email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.