1981 Shadow Cat Restoration thread >

1981 Shadow Cat Restoration thread

Notices

1981 Shadow Cat Restoration thread

Old 07-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 Shadow Cat Restoration thread

This thread will track my restoration of an 81 Shadow Cat that I just bought. Enjoy my misery.

It starts off about 5 years ago when I was told about this cat that was basically sitting, rotting away. I contacted the guy, met up, looked it over and at the time it needed a lot of work. Was asking 15K and to me it wasn't worth it. The boat was always in my mind, mostly due to driving past it nearly everyday. In the past I even worked at Hockenjos marina along side Elbie before he passed which was where they were sold out from.

July 7th, 2011
I decided to contact the guy and see where he was at. Basically told me to make an offer as to what I would pay and we would go from there. I went that evening, checked it out which was now in much worse shape due to being uncovered for 6+ years. Interior was gone, soft floor, plants growing etc... but it was apparently put away running so I figured I would take a shot. I offered a bit more then I wanted but felt it may have been my last chance. So I offered $2000.

July 14th
Offer was accepted and at this point I had to figure out how to get this big ass boat (to me) off its rotting trailer and to my house. Thought of a rig I came up with to pull the motors in the fountain and after some calculations I "figured" it could work for a whole boat....

July 15th
After work I ran around and gathered up whatever supplies I needed to hoist the boat and rig my V trailer to temporally work for a cat. Couple of 6x6's later I was off to the boat. About 8pm myself and 2 friends set up the pallet racking, chains, come-a-longs etc.. After a lot of creaking, we got the boat off the rotted trailer it had lived on for years and onto my temp, home made rig. After a 12 mile trip I pulled into the driveway @ 11:30pm

July 16th
Time to see what I got myself into... I already know the floors are coming up in the very near future which will likely show I need transom/stringers. These are basically the "before" pictures. At this point, I got the Hy-drive hydraulic steering working as well as the trim on the motors... The fuel pumps work and motors turn freely but still need to pump out the 6+ year old gas before I try to light them. Motors are 1988 300hp V8 Evinrudes. They may be crap but at least they are made in America.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You Crazy SOB.. but in a good way, I'm gonna like this thread for sure.
Those Big E's aint bad.. just do not rev them over 5900 they are happy at 5800 all day long but the lowers are the ones to let go... so be easy on them. And the sound they make when you free the exhaust up. they Idle like a T/F dragster and scream like an Indy car from back in the day.
I know a guy who has an F1 OMC V8 still at home... whatta screamer and 400hp is easy from those.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
You Crazy SOB.. but in a good way, I'm gonna like this thread for sure.
Those Big E's aint bad.. just do not rev them over 5900 they are happy at 5800 all day long but the lowers are the ones to let go... so be easy on them. And the sound they make when you free the exhaust up. they Idle like a T/F dragster and scream like an Indy car from back in the day.
I know a guy who has an F1 OMC V8 still at home... whatta screamer and 400hp is easy from those.
Thanks for the support and heads up on the lowers. They are currently welded because the guy kept breaking them. It should be a "fun" project. I feel as if I can appreciate the boat more if I "rebuild" it myself. Never done anything like this before so it should be an experience.

Cleaned/vacuumed the interior to get ready to pull bolsters and floor tomorrow after I attempt to get the V8's running. Once running and comp check is done they will be pulled until its done. More pics Sunday.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Registered

I say congrats George. As you know, Shadow cats are close to my heart. If you ever need somebody to put in labor for a day, I am your guy. Just supply the Bud Light! You have my number.

Did you talk to/contact Rich Luhrs at all?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Registered

Default Great Project

Prostock, please make sure you post plenty of pictures please. I don't think there are many real shadows left, Tim Sharkey might know a little about this boat, I think I remember him posting about it. a real classic.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by prostock85
Thanks for the support and heads up on the lowers. They are currently welded because the guy kept breaking them. It should be a "fun" project. I feel as if I can appreciate the boat more if I "rebuild" it myself. Never done anything like this before so it should be an experience.

Cleaned/vacuumed the interior to get ready to pull bolsters and floor tomorrow after I attempt to get the V8's running. Once running and comp check is done they will be pulled until its done. More pics Sunday.
The lowers are the same as on the period V-6 models... so parts are there.

Back in the day over here guys raced those engines single on 21 ft cats... triple digits easy...until they got banned for being unsafe... total weight for them was around 1500 lbs...
Old 07-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Registered

Came in for a bit and figured I would update.

July 16th

Basically did a once over and got an idea what worked and what didn't. Junk pile is growing..

July 17th

Pulled bolsters and partial floor. Dug out foam from port tank area. Also started to strip the boat of its factory wiring. More junk..

Last edited by prostock85; 07-17-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool....keep the pics and info coming along.
Congrats
Old 07-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude this project scares me twice as much as that LDD thing you got me into.......Good luck and if this doesnt cause a divorce you need to marry that girl....call me when its all done, and not a minue before...
Old 07-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered

Haha...Thanks Ant

Pete, I may have to take you up on that one day.... Trying to make the fall Hudson fun run.

July 17th part 2

Pulled most of the floor in the cockpit area and had a few surprises. The weirdest one was what looked like someone cut the glass with a saw, and left it that way causing the underlying wood to obviously rot. So that will be an area that needs attention. Other then that, so far the stringers look good and solid. Also drained approx 80 gallons in old gas to remove the twin 76 gallon tanks. Under the tanks was full of nasty water. What is odd it that water could easily get to and around the tanks but once there had no where to go. There is an irrigation pipe that runs from the driver/pass foot well through the tank area and into the bilge, but doesn't allow any water to leave tank area, just through it... The front and rear boards in which held the tanks are also rotted. Luckily it looks like an easy fix but first I still need to pull motors and check the transom.

Last edited by prostock85; 07-17-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.