1980 36' cigarette mistress info could be yours >

1980 36' cigarette mistress info could be yours

Notices

1980 36' cigarette mistress info could be yours

Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Unfortunately it looks like it has been quite neglected since that ad was written. These old boats just don't hold value unless they are kept in pristine condition. The motors are a crap shoot without any paperwork. I would be quite surprised if they make 500HP with that exhaust.

Is the boat bottom painted? It looks like it is, but that could just be the picture. That leads me to believe it was left in the water for extended periods. That can be pretty hard on these boats. It also appears to have been uncovered for quite some time. Moisture is a hulls worst enemy.

I think you need to spend a weekend or two giving the boat a deep clean and see where you stand.

Good luck.
Also, I believe that when someone buys an old boat in need of TLC, they wont really make a huge profit, even if they restore it. Y
The seller might not get every $ back that he put into it. I learned that with the boat I have now, which still hasnt sold.
I just restored an old mini hawk. Is it better? Yes, but I wont get what I put into it (which was about 3,000 or more). I will only get what people are willing to pay for it, which would be 2,500 or less. People arent willing to spend 3,500 on my little boat.
People should keep that in their minds when it comes to old boats.
IMO, that boat looks like it should be cleaned thoroughly and engines tuned up.

Last edited by CigaretteSam; 10-12-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Motors and drives were redone last year and it thats how they look now? I couldnt get my engines that dirty nor my bilge that dirty if i tried in one year.

I find it hard to believe someone would spend the money to rebuild the engines and drives, and not touch the interior of the boat. The transom of the boat, and water line appears that the boat was left in the water, and probably uncovered.

I understand what you are saying about getting into a cigarette boat cheap. But guys who have been doing this a while, know what it takes to and what it will cost to get that boat back to respectable condition, cosmetically and mechanically.

Not trying to be a Dik, but you asked what we think its worth, and Im giving my opinion. List those motors for 5k each and see if they sell. Also, list the drives for 4k and see if they sell.
+1

Not trying to be an azz either, but you should have come on here asking what we thought it was worth BEFORE you bid on it if you intend to re-sell it for a profit. MILDTHUNDER is right, the guys that know what it takes to get these boats up to working condition and keep them there are smart enough to buy them already done. (some of us anyway )

The 36 Cig is a neat boat, but unfortunately this one looks like it has been abused and will take some major major coin and effort to bring back. They only appeal to the guys that want a big heavy slow wave crusher. Oldschool cigs ride great, but they are SLOW SLOW SLOW by modern standards. This makes them much less appealing for the guys who are after the most speed for the buck and the wow factor. They can go buy a Fountain that will run by it like the anchor is out for the far less money than it would take to bring it back.

You have a very neat piece, and if you bought it to restore and enjoy, then you have a great project. If you bought it to flip for a profit, you might be in for a very rude awakening.

I still think if you give it a very deep scrub, it might turn around a little. The pics that were posted looks like the boat has been sitting at the bottom of the lake for 10 years. Maybe it's better in person????
Old 10-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bigjingle, since you seem to be the lucky owner of this boat, I'm going to make a few suggestions . .

In this economy it's next to impossible to flip an old high performance boat and make money . . if you want to come out ahead on this buy that you made . . you'll need to invest some sweat equity at the minimum.

A. Clean the boat up!!
B. Make it run
C. Prove to all that it runs, moves, doesn't leak and gets on plane at some reasonable speed.
D.Get a marine survey done by a licensed surveyor to back up your claims, this also will determine if the hull , transom and stringers are solid.
E. Advertise it with good clear quality images. Anything less than this you will continue to get hammered on any forum . .
Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't think anyone here is trying to rag on you. You asked what we thought it was worth and we answered in good form with reasons. I agree that if you bought the boat as a project and have the coin and determination to get her back to her glory days, you'll have a real real unique and cool ride. On the other hand, if you bought it too flip it for a profit, at very worst I would go through it with a fine tooth comb so to speak and make sure any perspective buyer sees a god running solid classic. Regardless of what the former owner said, those motors sure don't look like 500hp motors. Intakes and exhaust look fairly stock, those are your first two big indications of work done. Clean her up real good, make sure she runs, and then run with the first $7500 someone gives you, just like was earlier stated.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigjingle
bought the boat from auction out of long island do'nt know anything about it does anyone know it or of it found pic of it on used boat hub in the ad it states it has 420 hp 454's rebuilt to 500hp trs drives rebuilt out drives and new interior and trailer has new tires any info is appreciated or the boat could be yours if interested cheep
I'm curious, what did you pay for her at the auction?

You really don't have to worry about sharing with the membership 'cause they're a lot sharper than you or I'll ever be on fair market value. This is the best source of powerboating knowledge on this planet.
If you paid more than what these members are telling you don't feel bad. I recently purchased an 82 SeaRay 2 cabin cruiser from a 90 yr old man who was the original owner on Lake Texoma.
She has 400 documented hours, every bit of paperwork and receipt since the day of the purchase, and most importantly she's spotless. She's got a bow berth, an aft cabin lower berth, walk in head, full galley, and a nice large salon. For a 27' she's got much more room in the salon and cockpit for weekending than my 38. She purrs like a kitten with 2 350 V8's, the gen set works great, the AC blows cold, and all electricals worked fine.
The interior is in mint condition and looks like it's never been used.
I thought I bought her for a song. As it turns out I paid double the fair market value in todays ratty economy.
What was once a buy and seller is now a keeper until I decide to take the hickey. I actually prefer staying aboard her than my 38 overnight on the water.
You should try taking her out on the water and enjoying her, not many get the opprtunity to enjoy a Cigarette powerboat for what you paid. Make her a keeper too.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 10-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Registered

i really wonted to know if anyone knew the boat or recognized it ive only had the boat for 2 weeks yes i do plane on cleaning it up and running it but time is limited and cold weather is coming i thought someone would wont to work on her over the winter if i have to keep it that wont bother me either i bought the boat right and and dont have any problem sitting on the investment and about hammering me i have thick skin and i know ill make money on no matter what i have to do to it
i can sell it alot cheaper and still make money everyone says it to much but no offers everyone of u would of bought the boat if u could of got for what i paid and be doing the same its all good
Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigjingle
i really wonted to know if anyone knew the boat or recognized it ive only had the boat for 2 weeks yes i do plane on cleaning it up and running it but time is limited and cold weather is coming i thought someone would wont to work on her over the winter if i have to keep it that wont bother me either i bought the boat right and and dont have any problem sitting on the investment and about hammering me i have thick skin and i know ill make money on no matter what i have to do to it
i can sell it alot cheaper and still make money everyone says it to much but no offers everyone of u would of bought the boat if u could of got for what i paid and be doing the same its all good
OK, here you go...

Send me detailed BRIGHT pics showing the bilge area including the stringers, transom, cabin area, etc AND.. a video of the engines running (and getting up to temp), plus showing proper function of major components, tabs, drive trim, props spinning both direction, etc ...AND with it running on the water including getting up on plane...and I will bring you $5000 cash.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, i'd say 5000 sould be a gift, but what do I know, I'm probablu high on price cause I have been trying to buy and sell these things since day 1 and have yet to make a profi on any of them.

Oh, and 420 Mercs usually did not come with 3" log exhaust from what I have seen

Good luck with it. THose boats are cool. $5000 is all the money for it though to a guy that knows anything about them.

You have to find the guy that just WANTS to own this boat and fix it up to make any money on it, and to do that your gonna have to wait.

Good luck with it. Guys on here will always wish you the best of luck because we have all been there.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They are definitely not 420's more like 330's with 420 flame arrestors. Look at the intake and Look at the valve covers.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

I dont think Mercury even had 420's in 1980. I think the hottest setup was the 370 that used the log manifolds. And getting 500 hp out of a NA big block with log manifolds, doubt it.

Last edited by phughes69; 10-13-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.