Notices

1986 Avanti

Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the Avanti's rock solid in rough stuff. They don't like calm water. The rougher the better, especially the 27's and 33's.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,097 Likes on 293 Posts

Yup!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie
Actually the Avanti's rock solid in rough stuff. They don't like calm water. The rougher the better, especially the 27's and 33's.
Yesterday I wished for some calmer waters n Tampa Bay.
Didn't do the FPC Poker Run, but I met up with the group at the lunch stop. After lunch we took our time getting out of there, but when I dropped my phone in the water we spent 1/2 hour looking for it. No luck. Soon after we finally got under way, we got stuck in a terentual downpour and six to eight's serious dishwasher waters. Dark, wet, windy, cold, but My Lady safely got us back to the ramp. Beat to chit, back pain, sour knees, but the Avanti showed again her true rough water side.
Did I say rough?, I meant crazy scary.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32
Not picking one anybody but I have to chime in . I worked in the 80's for Dennis @ Jet-set marine who made the Avanti . Back in the early 80's there wasnt much out there in a way of these boats unlike today , that said I know first hand as having a hand building these boats and owning 2 - 27 ft they are one of the worst lay-up I have ever seen , wavy , delamanation issues , old munster looking deck . I know for a fact we tried to warn Dennis but he wanted to hear nothing and guess what theyre long gone . They really got bad fron 1986 on as some of his best guy's moved on .

Go ahead beat me up but the last 1996 27 ft Avanti I owned the inner cockpit liner rubbed through the bottom and always leaked as well as a 4 ft crack on the keel from the transom forward . I bought as a beater and unloaded it after a month when I discoverd the engine stringers stopped @ the fuel tank bulkhead and they were just tabbed together . For those who dont know how to build boats , the engine stringer cannot be 4 ft long and tabbed together @ fuel tank bulkhead on new const , they need to go forward

Larry
I’ve had 2 avantis in the past year 1 was a 86 avanti 27 European hull with the arch and side scoops (sold that earlier in the year) and a 88 27 which I currently have now former race boat nasty habit. They seem to be built well from what I know and held up pretty well being from the 80s not doubting you at all just from my knowledge and the ones I’ve been in contact with seem like there built well
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (11-12-2022)