First Boat Selection >

First Boat Selection

Notices

First Boat Selection

Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
i checked into it. Its a scam I thik. Boat is ready for pick up in Topeka Kansas, says you can take possession than send it back if you dont like it and dont have to pay until you inspect it. Boats in Topkeka KS, has an Ohio reg sticker and on a Philly cragislist.
That is DEFINITELY A SCAM!!!

The easiest way to verify is to just say "Oh, thats great! My brother lives in Topeka, Kansas! Ill just have him go checkout the boat and if its everything you say it is he will pay you and tow it away! Can I get the address where the boat is located and a time he can meet you there?" I can guarantee that they will not respond to that email if its a scam!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
That is DEFINITELY A SCAM!!!

The easiest way to verify is to just say "Oh, thats great! My brother lives in Topeka, Kansas! Ill just have him go checkout the boat and if its everything you say it is he will pay you and tow it away! Can I get the address where the boat is located and a time he can meet you there?" I can guarantee that they will not respond to that email if its a scam!
sounds like you have been down that road before
Old 04-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bcfountain
sounds like you have been down that road before
Too many times to count!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Registered

Hi, If I were you I would look at a boat that requires a little love but in solid condition. A little upholstry or minor engine or outdrive work can be great bartering points that wil save you alot of money. Then work on it at your leisure. You will be surprised at how many people will help you out with their knowledge. I mean if you find a 25' Wellcraft, Donzi, Chris Craft or other great hull for 6K that leaves you alot of your alotted monies to do the work and make it your boat. I did it with my 28' Stinger and have no regrets. Every where I go I get compliments on her. Just my two cents worth...
Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Registered

Well, guy with the checkmate called me yesterday day and said his buyer backed out. I guess he hadn't asked the wife yet about the purchase, and we all know how that goes. I was surprised to hear from him...pleasantly surprised because I couldn't get this boat out of my head. We took it for a drive, and agreed to a deal, pending survey. If anyone lives around St. Louis, MO and knows a good place that does surveys let me know.

I want to thank everyone who posted in this thread. All have helped in various ways to make me think about things I normally wouldn't even consider. I was overwhelmed by the help and the responses to a newbies first thread here. I know I'll be coming back regularly to pick the brains of you guys who know much, much more about boats than I do. If any of you live around STL, and boat at Carlyle, Kinkaid, Rend Lake, Table Rock, and maybe LOTO (too commercial for me...but might make a trip), let me know...I owe ya a few beers. Pics coming.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Registered

Old 04-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Registered

Congrats! Its funny how these things sometimes workout. I love the lines of that Checkmate and it looks like its really clean (looks like new vinyl too). Let us know how the survey goes. That should be an awesome first boat!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Registered

You know, everybody kept telling me there would be plenty of other boats out there...maybe newer, etc., but I really wanted the 251, I just love the lines, and it's quick enough for me (for now) with stock power. This one was the cleanest I've seen, and you don't find a bunch of these on the market, because I was looking everywhere. While it looks new i'm pretty sure he told me the vinyl is original. Called about the survey, but got vm.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Registered

Congrats pending!! Good luck.

If that falls through you may want to look at Stingrays as well. Not so much a performance boat but my friend who was a dealer would always take them out and they seemed to have decent speed for little hp (probably a horrid ride in 3's).
Old 04-14-2012, 05:02 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the seats look like orig in great shape. be religious about putting the cover back on. you start leaving 20 year old vinyl out in the sun for a couple of days, it will start to age fast...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.