Notices

GLOPRA Pictures

Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Anyone remember this Cig Mistress with the raised rear deck, it was sold and went to Ohio around 1988. Is it still on Lake Erie ?
Attached Thumbnails GLOPRA Pictures-cig-mr-bill.jpg  
Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by legend
Classes: A, B, C. D, Production, Mod, Sport, RWYB (Local) , Powder Puff (Women Driver) and then they changed from there to over priced racing "NASCAR Boat Racing" or production classes, V,Super V's ect. and then to nothing. The little guy was gone. Prize money over pride, Volunteer's, Economy, Interest in the sport or just the change of time.
The BBPBRA ran essentially the same format.I remember the days when there were about 20 A Class boats racing...21-24ft vees with single outboards or small blocks.In its prime,the Northeast Divisional Circut would draw 50 or more boats per race!Would love to see it comeback!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
You could race 25 or 30 APBA & club races around the country if you chose to. We ran all the APBA & most of the club races for years.
The fastest boats didn't always win.
You had to finish over a hundred miles in the ocean & navigation was key. No such thing as GPS.
Those were the days for sure!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

----To back up H20s picture, the Mistress was a 1979. Had speedy 3s and crash-boxes, dry exhaust, and mixed up motors when sold. One 540 and one 454. Also had 4 tanks and all the stuff to move fuel around, as well as full teak package. I was also told by the guy that bought it that he found out it was a Kevlar hull. I owned it 3 years and never knew that.
----I heard thru the grapevine that it may have been painted black after I sold her, but not sure on that point. Id love to know if the boat still exists.......Bill S
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That is Frank Cichon and Bob Nielson in Golden Eagle photos 1 and 2. And mom (Kathy White) pops up again in 4 and 7. she raced with Bobby for year early on when she was a single engine boat.

Bob T's Golden Eagle out of Eastlake Ohio. True Racer
Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Registered

Joe Marco's Black Magic was an Excalibur. The later bought and raced a 28' Single Cigarette under the same name and number.

The #77 boat was named Black Magic from Ohio. It was a popular boat in the Club. Someone will probably chime in before I remember what the make was. P&D, Martini, Excalibur ect. I think a couple of them also made a 26.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1979 Lake Erie
I think it was the former Steve Babin's 36' Cigarette "Triple B"-"Rocky Bye".
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by innerrage
would love also to see it come back and let the little guy in a 21 ft to 23ft run in a limited class.
Unfortunately Andy [cig3] myself & the rest of the Silver cup team tried to bring back the fun in racing, It lasted for around 6 years. With only the same handful of volunteers & workers it burns you out physically & burns a BIG hole in your wallet as a official.
You can only do that for so long today as there was not any new help coming in & the old crew just burned out.
It was a GREAT TIME while it lasted..
Attached Thumbnails GLOPRA Pictures-securedownload.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-securedownload-1.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-securedownload-4.jpg  

GLOPRA Pictures-securedownload-3.jpg   GLOPRA Pictures-securedownload-2.jpg  
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Registered

This was posted in the Velocity Forum.

Awesome old commercial. MOPRA guys will probably remember these guys/gals

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13582019286572
Old 01-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Registered

That's not the half of it. On top of the GLSCS we had GLOPRA to run as well and put on races. The Michigan clubs did the same. I was working regular job, racing, and trustee of GLOPRa along with President of GLSCS. A race weekend cost me close to 3K before it was all said and done. Times 8 to 10 races you can figure out why it all ended. There were people like Bob and Theresa Eubanks who contributed semis and trailers for support vehicles which would have cost another 50k per year. All that and we were lucky to get a thanks at the end of the weekend.

If and when I get back into racing it will be as a racer only.

We had a blast all in all. I bet we could sit in room for a week and not tell the same story twice. Some that even shouldn't be retold. Good times....

A.B.

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Unfortunately Andy [cig3] myself & the rest of the Silver cup team tried to bring back the fun in racing, It lasted for around 6 years. With only the same handful of volunteers & workers it burns you out physically & burns a BIG hole in your wallet as a official.
You can only do that for so long today as there was not any new help coming in & the old crew just burned out.
It was a GREAT TIME while it lasted..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.