1970 Sea Ray Pachanga Restore >

1970 Sea Ray Pachanga Restore

Notices

1970 Sea Ray Pachanga Restore

Old 04-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970 Sea Ray Pachanga Restore

How's it going. Thought I'd start a thread on showing the restoration of my 1970 Sea Ray Pachanga. I've been looking for one to do for quite awhile and couldn't find one close enough or in the shape that i wanted. Found it up in Pinconning,MI and $500 later she was on her way home with me. Last time the boat saw water was in 91' and the last tag was bought in 89'. She needed a total restore. Everything was beyond rotten and the previous 7 paintjobs were flaking off. Lol.
Found that someone had taken the cap off previously when the hull was painted black and the front half of the boat and an interesting interpitation of stringers and floor. The more we dug into it the worse she was. We got the paint stripped off the cap and holy hell was there alot of holes. Looks like it's had 3 different windsheilds on it and almost looks like it had some kind of canopy on it at some point judging by a evenly spaced perimiter of 3/8" holes. Nothing fiberglass and some fairing compound cant fix. lol No paint for me. New gelcoat is going on her and the new look is going to be a black hull with a white cap. Still gotta find some material to make an original looking offset stipe to. Should look pretty cool.
She was still sporting the original merc II drive and must have had some power in it at some point as the prop was a 16x29p with a heavy cup on it. Motor was long gone but all the accesories including a pair of lightly used manifolds from small blocks past.
New power is going to be a an older Arneson ASD-6 drop box with a hurth trans. (Got a great deal for a pair. Spares!) Motor wise is still up in the air depending on what i can fit. If my measurements are correct I'm an inch short or have an inch of clearence for a BBC. Otherwise i'm eyeing up an LQ4 and a supercharger or a pair of turbos.
Interior wise I'm going to keep it stock themed and keep it mostly plane jane all business looking. For seats I'm going with Avnir Sport seats. They have a lower back similar to original but are an updated look. White seats with black accents. Rear bench will be covered in white pleated vinyl with some black accents aswell. Still undecided on the carpet.

Pictures of the progress will be uploaded later tonight. I have 84 online and another 30 to upload. I'll be the first to say it, yes I know I prob over built it but it'll be super sturdy. The speed goal is around 100. :-)

Jeramie
Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jeremy- Looking forward to pics. The engine bay may accomadate a BBC but a small block will fit better. A LS based motor would be really cool.

Wannabe
Old 04-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Registered

I cheated the front bulkhead alitte bit. I moved it forward about 2" over how it was from the factory. We'll see how it fits prob within a couple weeks here. Maybe this weekend if i get my act together. lol
Old 04-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Had one of these Brand New in 1970.Was not the fastest boat out there but would out run a Donzi in bad water it was like a tank.Was late 80's repowered with a Bravo and a big block and it really ran then.The drives on them things were from the middle ages and they were almost 2-1 reductions and Heavy.And the OMC were just trouble,elec shift.Neat boat!!!! Lots of luck. JOHN SR
Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting resto and caught my eye.

I may pick up a early '90's 32' Pachanga w/BBC's that won't start.
The price is right...free...but it might be a mulch pile.

Looking forward to yours.