Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
38 Cougar Cat Endangered Species..Where is she now? >

38 Cougar Cat Endangered Species..Where is she now?

Notices

38 Cougar Cat Endangered Species..Where is she now?

Old 10-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I,m doing some research on the racing history of the Cougar.I found this info in " tin boat problem...OLD COUGAR " I think it started racing in 1984.If you have any other info let me know.

"Re: tin boat problem...OLD COUGAR

Well your all wrong

1) The black unrigged boat was built originally for Mandy Fernandez or Edd Sheer; it’s a similar design to the Seahawk/Reporter, we supplied two identical hulls to them in 1990.

2) Reporter was the old Seahawk 36', last I heard many years ago it was still rotting away in Italy, it was a fantastic boat, I raced with Steve Curtis in it during the1988 season, we came 2nd in the world championships in Guernsey behind Mr Buzzi in four-engined 46’ mono during a very very rough week of racing, had about ten monos behind us before the next cat.

3) Endangered Species was originally called Supercat and was raced in England by Barry Sampson & Bill Bonner, the engines where Bonner V12 Jags, it then was sold to Robert Cooke who raced it as Champaign Mumm & John Player Special, It was then sold to Richard Strutton and we converted it to the centre cockpit layout with canopy, Richard S never used it and I sold it to Errol Lanier in the US and it became Endangered Species, I think the owner was Clay Wilson, that was in the early 90’s"
Attached Thumbnails 38 Cougar Cat Endangered Species..Where is she now?-champagne-mumm-1987-_jpg.jpg   38 Cougar Cat Endangered Species..Where is she now?-john-player-special-1988-_jpg.jpg   38 Cougar Cat Endangered Species..Where is she now?-supercat-1984-3_jpg.jpg  

Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DWES
I,m doing some research on the racing history of the Cougar.I found this info in " tin boat problem...OLD COUGAR " I think it started racing in 1984.If you have any other info let me know.

"Re: tin boat problem...OLD COUGAR

Well your all wrong

1) The black unrigged boat was built originally for Mandy Fernandez or Edd Sheer; it’s a similar design to the Seahawk/Reporter, we supplied two identical hulls to them in 1990.

2) Reporter was the old Seahawk 36', last I heard many years ago it was still rotting away in Italy, it was a fantastic boat, I raced with Steve Curtis in it during the1988 season, we came 2nd in the world championships in Guernsey behind Mr Buzzi in four-engined 46’ mono during a very very rough week of racing, had about ten monos behind us before the next cat.

3) Endangered Species was originally called Supercat and was raced in England by Barry Sampson & Bill Bonner, the engines where Bonner V12 Jags, it then was sold to Robert Cooke who raced it as Champaign Mumm & John Player Special, It was then sold to Richard Strutton and we converted it to the centre cockpit layout with canopy, Richard S never used it and I sold it to Errol Lanier in the US and it became Endangered Species, I think the owner was Clay Wilson, that was in the early 90’s"
Errol Lanier Raced the boat in Puerto Rico and then in the US. The boat use to have an air scoop above the canopy that feed I think it was a pair of fuel injected 750's. It had flush engine hatches as the EFI's were much shorter than the blower motors Paul put in. It use to have a Leopard on the deck. Paul re sheeted the boat when he had the new canopy made. He also fixed all the broken bulkheads and stringers. He had the Agip logo and UIM Class 1 logo added then.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out running the Cougar last week.

Front video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4kvJeVT4mI

Rear video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa_E35IyYTY

Last edited by DWES; 10-13-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DWES
Out running the Cougar last week.

Front video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4kvJeVT4mI

Rear video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa_E35IyYTY
Looks great!