Notices

Old School Racing in 60's

Old 06-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
Holy hell! Looked like a lazy boy strapped to some rerod! Haha
Can you imagine how cold you would be after 400 miles of cold sea water on a constant spray!!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by topprop
What a cool boat! Do you know what was the top end of super nova back then? What power was in it?
Twin Ford 427 side oilers with blowers to a single V-Drive / single prop. Not sure of speed but best guess is mid 60's to low 70's. Still has the same set up all the way up to the original driveshafts today. The only change is the motors are now mildly build 454's. Oh, and it also has transmissions instead of crashboxes. The original motors (I say "original" but there was many different motors run in the boat) are junk and are still with the past owner. I couldn't afford them when I bought the boat. Even today with the boat restored like it is the old motors in pieces are still worth more then the boat. I hope one day he will just want them gone but until then I'll stick with the 454's cause they are so easy in every way.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not only did it have a seat OVER the prop, it had a beak! I wonder why fountain didn't copy the cockpit seating arrangement also???? LOl!

Those guys are crazy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502223[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Old School Racing in 60's-early-beak-boat.jpg  
Old 06-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Twin Ford 427 side oilers with blowers to a single V-Drive / single prop. Not sure of speed but best guess is mid 60's to low 70's. Still has the same set up all the way up to the original driveshafts today. The only change is the motors are now mildly build 454's. Oh, and it also has transmissions instead of crashboxes. The original motors (I say "original" but there was many different motors run in the boat) are junk and are still with the past owner. I couldn't afford them when I bought the boat. Even today with the boat restored like it is the old motors in pieces are still worth more then the boat. I hope one day he will just want them gone but until then I'll stick with the 454's cause they are so easy in every way.

A super nice boat!! Do you know why one prop on twins? Is it a space thing? Was the thought it would go faster on one wheel?
Old 06-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by topprop
Was the thought it would go faster on one wheel?
Exactley. One less prop, propshaft, struts and rudder to drag through the water. 3 to 4 mph faster then the twin version and when you are running 500 mile races that adds up.