Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Volvo sold a item like that called speed rails, some say they did work.... The Volvo speed rails were not that large, & only were about 3/4" wide.

Originally Posted by ratman
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...2f29c433#v4-40

ive been looking for a small donzi 16 or 18, i just came across this on ebay, but i have NEVER seen any of aranows boats with an aluminum fin or reinforcement on the bottom... any one ever hear of or see this on a sweet 16? thx, rm

Last edited by h2oboater; 09-13-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
the volvo penta is what slows it doen,,now if it had a volvo e drive then it would most likely be a rocket..
You dont need a E drive just raise the Volvo drive X up 3". Made a world of difference for one of my Magnums with twins...
Attached Thumbnails donzi sweet 16 sporter on ebay with 4ft alum fins on the bottom??? wtf-mag-transom-1.jpg   donzi sweet 16 sporter on ebay with 4ft alum fins on the bottom??? wtf-mag-transom.jpg  
Old 09-14-2013, 01:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

500hp@7500rpm from a very tired looking 351 with a dual plane intake ,650 holley and log manifolds..
wow,,
just wow...

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 09-14-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
If it corrected a problem I would.If it didn't work I could just glass in the bolt holes.But if I raised the motor cut the transom re-made the hatch and it didn't fix the problem I would be upset and then do it 2 more times?????go figure.I had to put a extra fin in my drag boat to make it safe and didn't think twice. .Some boats the drives are to high so you put a drive spacer in them to lower the drive (QUICK FIX)Ford motor company hung a weight on the back of transmissions to stop a vibration,they could of re-engineered the drive trane but they didn't (QUICK FIX) Does this make it right or wrong.Things like this could be hashed out forever. If it works do it.Just my onion.JOHN SR
Agree, I would rather try the simple fix first and then go bigger if needed.

Funny, this thread just made me remember my very first boat when I was 13 or so (early 70s). It was a 9' Hydroplane with a Merc Thunderbolt...dang thing was squirrely as heck and wouldn't track very well at all. So even as a kid I came up with the idea to mount a small vertical aluminum plate at the inside rear of each sponson that stuck down about 4" or so. Worked like a charm but then I had issues with the stern and came up with a crazy idea to glass in some aluminum pipes to the very rear of the hull on each side, the front edges were angle cut and the pipes bend upwards at the transom at approx 45 degrees.

Not only did it stick like glue after that and would turn sharper and better than ever, but it also shot the coolest twin roostertails about 30 feet or so in the air as it flew across the water...LOL Fun stuff for a 13 yo with his first boat!! Need to dig up a pic of that thing!!

Funniest part is as a kid from a very rural part of the mountains in NC I had never seen another hydroplane or even a pic of one, the ideas I had were just pure instincts (what I called common sense)...as I just now looked on Google for a similar pic of the boat I had I see all sorts of hydroplane racers and you can see metal plates sticking down from the sponsons!!!

Cheers,

Dave

Old 09-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bcfountain
some people jus don't get it.
that's true, but this is the only donzi or any other 24* hull, with something like this on its bottom that i have ever seen

comparing a deep v to a hydro?

i had a center skeg on my 18 foot hondo jet boat with a modified v hull, i still wouldn't make any kind of a comparison with a 24* hull with those fins on it....

i imagine will we see a LOT of these on race boats in the years to come. lol well i mean once the secret gets out....
Old 09-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the thing with the pipes is a cool idea, i wonder if it cost you much mph
Old 09-15-2013, 12:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by h2oboater
You dont need a E drive just raise the Volvo drive X up 3". Made a world of difference for one of my Magnums with twins...
what works for one doen not work for another....you raise the center of gravity on a sixteen and your going to get all kinds of chine walking....that boat is hard enough to drive with the volvo in its current location.. the boat will also over heat,,you can get away with it on your magnum because for one itas a bigger boat and for two with a twin the water pick up is in a different loccation unless you added lwp's..
Old 09-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Registered

A buddy of mine just re did the bottom on his Larry Smith Scarab. Ex B1 race hull. Got rid of the speed rails and blueprinted it. We will see if there is a change...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.