Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Popeyes Flight Marine cat >

Popeyes Flight Marine cat

Notices

Popeyes Flight Marine cat

Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the boating knowledge on this board never ceases to amaze me! you guys are awesome
Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I built that boat for Al. Bill Sirois and I built the first #4 style drives for it by setting the drives back (my part) and shortening them (his part). I drove it at 132 (hauling azz back then). Funny story: Bill thought the engine hatch was too heavy, and asked me to build a lightweight one. We did, and Bill asked us to install it at night because of his racing schedule. Nick Miller, Art Brown Bud Kirby and I went to Bill's shop, which made an operating room look messy, and changed the hatch. At 2AM we finished and were cleaning up the shop, when Bud Kirby dropped a cigarette (no smoking shop) on the floor, and hoovered it up with 55 gallon drum vacuum cleaner. KABOOM! It exploded, and the 4 of us looked like cartoon characters, with hair blown back and black faces. It took 6 more hours to reclean the shop. Bill showed up and asked "How did it go"? No problem....................................
Old 03-25-2014, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brownie, would you write a book? These storys are why I read this site....Simply Awesome......what confuses me is NO ONE smoked back then, ha ha ha ha.....
Old 03-25-2014, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Brownie do you happen to have any pictures of the cat from back in the day? Thanks for the post those were the good ol days.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cd of the time trials but no still shots
Old 03-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by FoxLakeHO
Brownie, would you write a book? These storys are why I read this site....Simply Awesome......what confuses me is NO ONE smoked back then, ha ha ha ha.....
Brownie could probably write a book, but everybody would think it was fiction because they wouldn't believe it. I'm thinking there might just be a little humor in it too.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know what happened to the big 4 engine Geotz cat. I looked at years ago when a broker had it for sale. Cool boat. Had 4 Ford engines in it at the time. Just wondering if anyone ever did anything with it or if its been mothballed somewhere.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's a pic of the Popeyes cat that had been rigged with the outboard powerheads linked to #4 Speedy's. I took this pic in January '06 when it was parked behind the old Formula factory off Biscayne Blvd. -When Larry G had Extreme Marine there. I believe it was cut up shortly after this pic was taken.

Last edited by Biggus; 03-28-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
Here's a pic of the Popeyes cat that had been rigged with the outboard powerheads linked to #4 Speedy's. I took this pic in January '06 when it was parked behind the old Formula factory off Biscayne Blvd. -When Larry G had Extreme Marine there. I believe it was cut up shortly after this pic was taken.

I would love to see pics of how they linked the outboard powerheads to the drives! Now thats some thinking outside of the box!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it was injected 2.4 power heads on there sides linked with blower belts to a common drive shaft , there were in/out boxes on the power heads, from what I remember the flex in the hull and the drive shaft and a flex-e-flyer hull was its down fall it was later converted to inboards but it coudnt take any rough water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.