1975 Cigarette 35 Awesome "Octopus" - begging for a restoration

Notices

1975 Cigarette 35 Awesome "Octopus" - begging for a restoration

Old 05-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1975 Cigarette 35 Awesome "Octopus" - begging for a restoration

Hey all!

I am new to the forum and want to introduce myself and my (maybe) project.

This 1975 Cigarette 35 Awesome "Octopus" has been in the family since 1985. I spent many a hot summer's day on Georgian Bay on the aft deck of this boat as a kid, and I (now 32) have finally convinced my father to let my brother and I bring some life back into this old boat. The boat has been sitting on a trailer since about 1991; in heated storage until 2006 and outside since. The last 8 years outside have not been kind to it, but I am trying to be optimistic. The interior and upholstery is trashed result of a raccoon making a home, and I have some concerns about some water that got into the hull during this years thaw and then froze in the engine bay. See pics.

I have done some research on the boat and I seem to have found some interesting history. I knew it was purchased by my father in 1985 from someone in Quebec who reported to have brought it up from Florida. I did some looking around for the name on the original build plate on the dash - Bruce "PeeWee" Griffin and there is where I found some interesting info to pull the thread on. Griffin was a Nascar driver back in the 80's based out of Florida that was allegedly involved in a drug trafficking and money laundering scheme. The lead FBI agent involved refers a number of times to the ring involved as "the octopus". http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.co...-in-drug-ring/ I found reason to believe that this boat might have been seized at one of the marina's that was part of the FBI investigation. Pretty cool if it turns out to be true.

Back to the boat. You have seen the pics and it is ROUGH. I know from the classic car world that restorations are a labour of love. I have no delusions of grandeur, I know that this will take time and lots of money to make perfect and it still might not be worth much, but I would hate to see a classic like this rot any further or worse get sent off to the crusher. Any words of wisdom or encouragement from the crowd?

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 05-27-2014, 04:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts

For sale? How Much?
Old 05-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Registered

Could be I suppose. PM me if your serious.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 454 Likes on 301 Posts

ouch !!! what a mess these animals can do !!!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 06:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome boat!

That said, it looks like about a 40,000 dollar resto provided you do quite a bit of the work yourself.

I hope it gets saved as it's a classic.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Registered

Good luck with the project.

Raccoons are filthy creatures. I bought a house that had them in the attic, they paid their rent with a bullet to the head after I finally trapped them. As will every one of those filthy things I see in the future.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is not necessarily a $40k resto. I have a 76 that I restored and then decided that I was far better off with a 28' center console on the same hull. The conversion thread is in the Cigarette forum. That being said, you will probably find some issues with the transom and the rear and forward below decks bulkheads in the cockpit. It just depends on the exposure outside. I also have a brand new custom made glass and aluminum windshield for the Awesome. It cost me a lot, but it is yours for $300 plus shipping. The hull is a tank with scantlings that no current builder would go near. My keel area is over 1" thick; chines are 3/4" +, and sides near gunwale are 3/8"+. Check the stringers in the engine compartment for moisture depending on outdoor exposure. My email is [email protected], and my cell is 720-297-1885. I know this boat intimately, but I also know what I do not know! By the way, when I initially restored mine, I had added a full galley and king size bed. If I can help. please contact me. Thanks. Bob N.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Registered

Thanks, Ben. Don't be surprised when you get an email from me as I start to tear into to this thing.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 242 Likes on 94 Posts

Got me thinking. HORBA has too many old race boats that we,are not getting around to restoring.

So, we just learned today that the Aoki boys will not purchase their dad's old race boat BENIHANA.

We are putting it up for sale and will list it here on OSO classifieds.

35 Cigarette, sixth 35 out of mold with many famous race wins and speed records. Bare hull and deck, original trailer, all original hardware, windshield, fuel fills, rare and original Kiekhaefer dual ram trim tabs. Awlgrip paint in cans custom matched to original color of boat.

We advised the Aoki boys to re power with modern engines and drives. Merc 700 with 6 drives. It will run faster than it did back in the 70's. This boat will be the biggest attention getter at any poker run for sure.

Photos on HORBA website www.historicraceboats.com