Fort Lauderdale in the early 70s >

Fort Lauderdale in the early 70s

Notices

Fort Lauderdale in the early 70s

Old 07-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fort Lauderdale in the early 70s

My memory is a bit dusty, but in 1973 my dad got a job in Ft Lauderdale and we moved down there, (I had just turned 6 years old). He got a job working at a marina rigging boats. They were a Wellcraft dealership, but I only recall seeing Novas there the 25s and the "NEW" 21s and I think they sold Robalo boats as well. IIRC it was on 17th st right next to the Sea world. I think it was Everglades Marine?? It was right across the waterway from the public boat ramp on 15th st. It was owned by a guy named Monroe Spodak IIRC. I remember the marina had a big fire in the late 70s or early 80's and Monroe later committed suicide. Was it in fact Everglades Marina? Thanks in advance Murf
Old 07-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 178 Likes on 115 Posts

As i remember everglades was next to sea world. I remember it being mainly inside a big wharehouse style building but i thought it was mnagnum dealer, hell that was many boat parties ago!!
Old 07-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if this helps or not??

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...oing-gone.html

Everglades Marina, Inc. is a Florida Domestic Profit Corporation filed on September 2, 1977. The company's filing status is listed as Inactive and its File Number is 544475.

The Registered Agent on file for this company is Lindsey Judy and is located at 2621 Arthur St Hollywood, FL 33020. The company's principal address is 1801 S.e. 17th Street Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316 and its mailing address is 1801 S.e. 17th Street Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316.

The company has 3 principals on record. The principals are Vicki S Baur from Broomfield CO, Terry Stahly from Bloomington IL, and Louise Stahly from Ft. Lauderdale FL.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:17 PM
Registered

Yup That was it,I know Lauderdale marine is at the end of 15th but couldn't remember if it was Everglades or Broward Marine. My Dad worked there for 2 or 3 years, and left the Marine industry, the Marina was running in the red, soon after that it burned to the ground, I remember seeing the smoke from my house and riding my bike to go watch it burn. All those great boats brnt to a crisp. He was the maintenece/mechanic of the crash rescue trucks at Ft Lauderdale International Airport after that. They were definately selling Novas around 1973-1975. I remember meeting Jimmy Buffett there and Jerry Garcia at Bahia Mar. I also remember going on a test ride with my dad in a brand new 25' Nova in Port Everglades and the port motor threw a rod through the block, (Damn ford 302s lol) and hightailing it back to the marina on one motor while taking on a LOT of water...
Old 07-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

----Right down the end of the canal was "Ted Twists". Awesome bar that later became the Southport and is still awesome!!! Remember Everglades well as I kept my Donzi 18 there for a year in 1973.Knew the owner but didn't care for him much. Oh how I would like to go back to those days!!!.......Bill S
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Registered

Ted Twists was awesome. We used to go there all the time. I remember going there with my family ant the St Paulie girls were there and took a liking to me, I was 8 or 9 and they have me all kinds of swag. I've been a boob guy ever since. I was at the Southport about 8 years ago and it was still good. I need to get back down there this winter.

My uncle was a salesman at Everglades and got my dad the job there.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Registered

I'll bet my dad launched your boat!!