Motor rebuilding. Need advice.. >

Motor rebuilding. Need advice..

Notices

Motor rebuilding. Need advice..

Old 11-23-2014, 05:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 267 Likes on 148 Posts

If all you're concerned with is how it sounds at idle , look for the old flat tappet cam used in the
HP465
Old 11-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 600 Likes on 359 Posts

I like this guy, he's funny.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Schipps
Can any one help?
I have a 30 ft Baja boat with twin 454's
I have replaced the heads with huge Brodix heads , Single plane intake to match the heads, 850 Quick fuel carbs, all marine MSD cap rotor plug wires spark boxes, etc.
I have new full length headers that will be dry exhaust all the way to the tips going out the back of the boat. My blocks are at my engine builder right now getting all freshened up! My question is can anyone give me advice on a bad ass cam spec to make these engines come alive?? I want serious idle!
Doing anything with the induction side of the engine...i.e. "huge heads", single plane intakes, and 850cfm carbs will all be done in vain without first modifying your bottom ends on those Merc 330's with cast cranks, rods, and pistons. You will need to concentrate on upgrading the bottom ends first, before you do anything with the top ends or adding any induction parts to the engines. Has your engine builder informed you of any of this yet?.

Last edited by KAAMA; 11-23-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Who is your engine builder???
Old 11-24-2014, 05:16 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those 330 bottom ends work,if there in good shape and you don't run the H out of them.Got a pair in my 40 CC sport fish and I got 1000 hours on them.That is really straining them NP Cruise all day long at 34_3500 rpm.Just don't over rev them or go beyond 4800.I got a pair with 600 hrs in my 32 fountain and run them a little hard but can run all day at 3200 with a cruise at 48 mph and very dependable every know and then twist them I do agree that with all that money in the top end it would be nice to have a good crank and rods.But every one can't dump a ton in a motor and have money left to go out on the weekends.Let's face it most guys do more cruising than all out balls to the wall.I got 35 k in a pair of N/A motors but most of the time they are 3500 rpm or lower.But sound good LOL us poor guys got machine shop no engine builders LOL Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Fenderjack; 11-24-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Those 330 bottom ends work,if there in good shape and you don't run the H out of them.Got a pair in my 40 CC sport fish and I got 1000 hours on them.That is really straining them NP Cruise all day long at 34_3500 rpm.Just don't over rev them or go beyond 4800.I got a pair with 600 hrs in my 32 fountain and run them a little hard but can run all day at 3200 with a cruise at 48 mph and very dependable every know and then twist them I do agree that with all that money in the top end it would be nice to have a good crank and rods.But every one can't dump a ton in a motor and have money left to go out on the weekends.Let's face it most guys do more cruising than all out balls to the wall.I got 35 k in a pair of N/A motors but most of the time they are 3500 rpm or lower.But sound good LOL us poor guys got machine shop no engine builders LOL Just my 2 cents
And with small port heads, short duration cam, dual plane intake, etc, it's a decent and reliable package. its easy to put way too much head and cam on a 454, especially if you are not spinning it fast. The cast pieces in the 330 work for low power and low speed. The OP needs to decide on how much power he wants to make and where, then build the combo around that. As far as a desired sound at idle... I build for numbers, not for sound. But then again, a good combo always has a good sound.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its got to idle sub 1000RPM-and be stable enough to idle in gear without dying - or you'll crunch the drives.

Its probably GOT to run on pump gas (92)

Those are your base "gotta haves" for any usable boat with an I/O drive system.

Even with bottom end work it needs to be "all in" by 6K as thats as fast as your boat parts in an I/O "want to spin" regardless of your mill.

Without rotating assembly work you have to be "all in" sub 5K which means a dual plane manifold will work better.

Sounds like you are doing an auto engine type thinking for a boat potentially to leading to misery.

"Huge heads" typically dont pull through the low and mid range and usually only work with higher compression at the upper 3rd. (higher than pump gas)
and the ability to skip andy kind of reasonable idle which you can't with a boat and still shift.

Small to Medium heads, (bb1) with a reasonable roller profile with the centers shortened up to prevent reversion work best with boats- at least outdrive equipped boats.

Then as SB said whose exhaust- etc...this is a big deal. (went back and saw lightning- good header)

oil cooling now you are making power etc..

Going to watch this one close.

Good luck!

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 11-25-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added I saw lightning headers
Old 11-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

If anything I would put a oval port intake back on with the cam change,They give you added torque on square port heads
Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
If anything I would put a oval port intake back on with the cam change,They give you added torque on square port heads
agreed.

a bb1 might even be too much head.

UD
Old 11-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How has this made it 2 pages and not one person has said talk to Bob @ marine kinetics?

Yall are slippin

http://www.marinekineticsonline.com/contact.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.