Motor rebuilding. Need advice.. >

Motor rebuilding. Need advice..

Notices

Motor rebuilding. Need advice..

Old 11-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Has anyone ever mounted a blower on a Stock Merc 330hp with any kind of success and reliability?
When I bought my 28 Apache it was advertised as having Hawk 525sc's... 40 hrs of running later there was a cam issue... to my surprise the engine that was supposed to have been just replaced had been replaced with a stock 330 long block --- and get this to match the other one that had been replaced earlier.
There was no good stuff in them -- all cast and small port heads with of course the hawk 525sc acc's -- super chiller, 174's, 850 holley and stainless marine exhaust to make one think they were the real deal. So for 40 hrs I was pushing those things a bit and wondered why wasn't I getting the speed number that I thought I should with 525+ hp.

We figured the at 5lbs boost those 330's were probably running about 425hp which would account for the speed number. New cam, dual plane man and Q-jet and installed them in my Scarab -- still running today at 330 hp...

Can they take some abuse? -- a bit -- but they certainly are meant for it....

Last edited by delsol; 11-27-2014 at 07:45 AM.