Notices

Side exhaust

Old 12-17-2014, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a picture of the Bertram after the event you discribed hanging on the wall at the Swap Shop.
Bill Elswick donated his prize money to Smiley's family after the race.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ratman72
Nah, that's a 36 not a 40.......there's no step on the topsides. From what I can make out, Don Aronow had created the 35 from cutting down the top sides of the 36 and using the same deck. He then sold the old 36 moulds to Bill Elswick, who called it a Performer 36. The first one out the mould was Thunder, it raced at Cowes in 77, don't know what came if it after that. Elswick then changed the top sides of the mould, so that it looked like a 40 Cig.....all very confusing but I'm pretty sure this is correct. Two more race boats were then built, Night Moves and a black one called JPS which sank in Argentina and Elswick/crew were drifting in a raft for weeks before being picked up by a Russian freighter. I think Performer got sold off but I can't really make out what happened to the 36 moulds??????? Anyone know?????? Elswick also had the Jean Claud Simon 32 Cary/Cobra moulds which he used for the Performer 32.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534517[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534518[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534519[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534520[/ATTACH]
Bob Sheer was throttling the JPS Performer or Cig. Anybody have pictures?
He suspected they wouldn't make it. He strapped the life raft to engine hatches before the race.
They had to give up their Rolexes to the freighter crew. Needless to say the old lady in the galley served up Borscht and rice for every meal. Mmmmmmmmmm.

H20, ask him how many hours in the life raft and how many days on the freighter.
Also, ask him how many seconds between throttle blips on those big seas.

This was the same race that Billy Martin mixed up his patented "Rocket Fuel".

Jeff

Last edited by hallj; 12-17-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, very sad! I've seen the pictures of the Flapjack 38 when it delaminated, I won't post it in the interests of good taste and respect, since I assume this relates to the same incident of the fatality, right?
I also have a picture of the delaminated Flapjack. That was at Pt. Pleasant, an earlier race. I always thought that was the first Kevlar race boat---
Old 12-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Registered

Sammy is just an email away. Should I ask him?

Jeff
Old 12-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hallj
Sammy is just an email away. Should I ask him?

Jeff
Sure---Sammy knows---
Old 12-18-2014, 04:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Redman
I also have a picture of the delaminated Flapjack. That was at Pt. Pleasant, an earlier race. I always thought that was the first Kevlar race boat---
Pretty sure your right there. There are several grades of Kevlar available, K29, K49, K100, K129, etc........K49 was used for the layup (probably the only one available back then), which is why the Bertram was called 49'er.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534544[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Side exhaust-bertram_49er__1977__2.jpg  

Last edited by Ratman72; 12-18-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

. From what I can make out, Don Aronow had created the 35 from cutting down the top sides of the 36 and using the same deck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534517[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534518[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534519[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534520[/ATTACH]
I feel like Brownie now.......if he read this he would say......Spread some of that on my lawn, it is pure Poppycock!!!!!

Think about it.....if Don cut the sides down on the 36 to make the 35....... how did the crease get in the side? Then how did he pull in a 9 foot plus beam down to 8 feet.

He did use the 36 wide deck on the 35's and cut the walkways off them. Depending on the day and the worker, some of those 35's had decks that were put on straight and some others did not. Don said the crooked ones had more character!
Old 12-18-2014, 07:35 AM
Registered

I thought that was why the crease was put in the side........by pulling in the topsides to take the flair out the bow and go from 9' to 7' 6"............ I thought that everything below the crease was basically the same, including the misalignment on the spray rails, although I have read that the rocker was modified as some point as well???

Yeh, the deck on Martini is skewed a little up front.

Can you shed any more light on the Performer story?

Last edited by Ratman72; 12-18-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hallj
Bob Sheer was throttling the JPS Performer or Cig. Anybody have pictures?
He suspected they wouldn't make it. He strapped the life raft to engine hatches before the race.
They had to give up their Rolexes to the freighter crew. Needless to say the old lady in the galley served up Borscht and rice for every meal. Mmmmmmmmmm.

H20, ask him how many hours in the life raft and how many days on the freighter.
Also, ask him how many seconds between throttle blips on those big seas.

This was the same race that Billy Martin mixed up his patented "Rocket Fuel".

Jeff
Jeff just talked to Bob he said they spent about 18 hours in the raft & 9 days on the freighter, & it seemed like eternity between throttle blips. Mark
Old 12-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is a story were side exhaust would have been nice. At the Stroh's Ceder Point race Bob & Davey Gillmore were racing Diamond Don's newly acquired REALLY RIDICULOUS Bertram. The night before the race while backing up the Bertram Davey hydraulic one of the engines. Bob was elected to pull the plugs & flush the engine out. Bob was not happy as his buddy Dave left him in the bilge and went to the local tavern. Bob said if the Bertram had side exhaust this would not have happened. They raced the next day only to have the PVC plumbing that was used in some the rigging to break & fill the bilge up.
Attached Thumbnails Side exhaust-bertram-38-r-r.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.