1978 Liberator 255, pole barn find >

1978 Liberator 255, pole barn find

Notices

1978 Liberator 255, pole barn find

Old 06-21-2016, 02:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 Liberator 255, pole barn find

Hello everyone. My name is Richard Jones and I am from Terre Haute, Indiana.

I just purchased a 1978 Liberator 255 with twin 260 HP V-8 350's. I believe it has Pre-Alpha outdrives with 21 pitch raker props. This is a pole barn find of mine. It has been sitting in a pole barn for approximately 11 years. The engines are seized at the moment and I am assuming it is because of sitting for so long. Supposedly it was running prior to being placed in storage 11 years ago. I have several ideas and am hoping that I can get help, opinions and advice as I move forward on this project/restoration boat. Please give me some comments and thoughts on the following questions I have.

1. What does everyone know about these boats? Good or bad boat?

2. I would like to bring back some shine to this old beauty. Any suggestions what would be best option without spending big dollars? She has lots of sun fade/oxidation.

3. Our local High School has an auto shop. I am good friends with the instructor. He is going to pull the engines and out drives for me and place them on a skid sometime in the next week or two. He will use them as school projects and rebuild them both during the next school year and drop them back into the boat in the spring. It will only cost me parts. Is there certain rebuild kits that are better to use then others?

4. Should I consider upgrading outdrives or rebuilding these pre-alpha units? What would the benefits of upgrading the pre-alpha units be?

5. Please understand I am poor and I do not have much money for this project boat. I plan on working on her during the next 1-2 years as money is available. I will be trying to keep her close to original, but any thoughts about upgrades that would be worthy that I should give serious consideration? If you have thoughts please let me know ballpark cost and why you feel it is important. PLEASE EDUCATE me. :-)

I also want to apologise in advance about refering me to other forums. I have a reading disability and I can only do short reading before I get horrible headaches. So please do not think I am being lazy. I will research where you send me but it takes me an extra minute or hour or days to read some forums if they are long. :-)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions. I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Respectfully,
IndianaJones1971

Also.... How do you post pics to this site? Either I am stupid or this function to share my boat pics is more difficult then it needs to be.
This is a link to where I have another posting with pics until someone can message me and explain how to post pics.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...pole-barn-find

Old 06-22-2016, 05:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Indiana, couple things. I am from Terre Haute (60 years ago). Are you related to Del Jones and his brothers who owned a machine shop and a small coal mine? Anyway, your boat is a Thunderbird/Formula, and was built in Indiana. Google them. The Porters, who own Thunderbird/Formula are fine folks, and I am sure they will help you.

Allan Brown (Brownie)
Old 06-22-2016, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Richard...welcome and check out my thread ...http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...or-update.html

I have a '79 255 that I am restoring. Read my post which spans 3~4 years of restoration and modifications. After you read it and have any questions ...don't hessitate to ask.

John Farabee...related to the Indiana Farabee's in Lafayette.