1984 Flat Deck 38 vs 1987 Cigarette Top Gun >

1984 Flat Deck 38 vs 1987 Cigarette Top Gun

Notices

1984 Flat Deck 38 vs 1987 Cigarette Top Gun

Old 08-23-2018, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1984 Flat Deck 38 vs 1987 Cigarette Top Gun

I want opinions of which boat you would buy (1984 Flat Deck 38 and 1987 Top Gun) given the following details and they are priced within $1000 of each other:

1984 Flat Deck 38:
-comes with trailer in good condition
-has updated cockpit finishes
-needs interior cushions/cosmetic work
-supercharged 454 engines
-Kevlar Hull

1987 Top Gun 38
-comes with trailer in good condition
-has updated cockpit finishes and cabin interior
-stock/rebuilt 502 engines
-had transom work completed to repair soft spots
-Fibreglass Hull
-updated gauges.
-$1000 more asking price

​​​​​​​Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-23-2018, 02:00 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 981 Likes on 497 Posts

Me personally i'd go with the top gun for $1kmore. To me it has a better dash and cabin entrance. more up to date then the flat deck would have with the folding teak doors to get into the cabin....(if it has them)
The flat deck has the cooler old school look to it but i like the newer stuff better...
Supercharged engines are cool and you may be faster with the extra hp but then again the maintenance would come sooner then on a stock motor.
Kevlar vs fiberglass....me i would go with the fiberglass just for the ease of repair aspect of it...not too many people know how to properly work with kevlar repairs...

What drives are on the boats? TRS on both im guessing unless its been updated....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-24-2018, 09:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
Me personally i'd go with the top gun for $1kmore. To me it has a better dash and cabin entrance. more up to date then the flat deck would have with the folding teak doors to get into the cabin....(if it has them)
The flat deck has the cooler old school look to it but i like the newer stuff better...
Supercharged engines are cool and you may be faster with the extra hp but then again the maintenance would come sooner then on a stock motor.
Kevlar vs fiberglass....me i would go with the fiberglass just for the ease of repair aspect of it...not too many people know how to properly work with kevlar repairs...

What drives are on the boats? TRS on both im guessing unless its been updated....
Thanks for you input. Yes, both boats have TRS drives. How well would these hold up to supercharged engines?
Old 08-24-2018, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Blowers and trs don't play well.........find some Konrads and bolt them on to the trs gimble
Old 08-25-2018, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

I've had both.

Go with the Gun!
Old 08-30-2018, 07:52 PM
Registered

The price of the 84 is now an additional $9000 lower. Would this make a difference in your opinions? would you consider the 84 flat deck at a price $10k lower than the 87 top gun?