26’ North American >

26’ North American

Notices

26’ North American

Old 01-03-2019, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 26’ North American

I have a client that is wanting us to restore a boat for him. He brought it by along with paperwork but I don’t recall the make at all. It looks like the old school powerboats “cigarette” but I don’t recall maker. The paper work states 26’ North American but I have never seen one before. So maybe you guys can chime in with your experience.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:29 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,993 Likes on 995 Posts

Here is the list of Manufacturers with North American from the USCG website
BINNORTH AMERICAN INFLATPO BOX 246BELLOWS FALLSVT
NAENORTH AMERICAN ENG759 HYDE PARK RDLONDONON
NAHNORTH AMERICAN HOVERCRAFT INC39 VETERANS DRIVE STE 20HOLLANDMI
NASNORTH AMERICAN SLEEKCRAFT INC1100 NORTH LAKE HAVASU AVELAKE HAVASU CITYAZ
NAYNORTH AMERICAN YACHTS & SHPBL515 SEABREEZE BLVD, #549FORT LAUDERDALEFL
TYSNORTH AMERICAN INFLATABLES4320 15 ST EBRADENTONFL
XNANORTH AMERICAN FIBERGLASSPO DRAWER C ST RD 1579GREENVILLENC
XNSNORTH AMERICAN YACHT SALES2812 CHRONICLEHAYWARDCA
YVWNORTH AMERICAN YACHT CENTER1681 COLUMBIA STNORTH VANCOUVERBC
ZAENORTH AMERICAN ENGINEERING759 HYDE PARK RDLONDON 73ON
ZNANORTH AMERICAN FIBERGLASS

First 3 letters are the Manufacturer HIN. I'm guessing it's a Sleekcraft. Check the first 3 of the HIN

Last edited by Griff; 01-04-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Here is the list of Manufacturers with North American from the USCG website
BINNORTH AMERICAN INFLATPO BOX 246BELLOWS FALLSVT
NAENORTH AMERICAN ENG759 HYDE PARK RDLONDONON
NAHNORTH AMERICAN HOVERCRAFT INC39 VETERANS DRIVE STE 20HOLLANDMI
NASNORTH AMERICAN SLEEKCRAFT INC1100 NORTH LAKE HAVASU AVELAKE HAVASU CITYAZ
NAYNORTH AMERICAN YACHTS & SHPBL515 SEABREEZE BLVD, #549FORT LAUDERDALEFL
TYSNORTH AMERICAN INFLATABLES4320 15 ST EBRADENTONFL
XNANORTH AMERICAN FIBERGLASSPO DRAWER C ST RD 1579GREENVILLENC
XNSNORTH AMERICAN YACHT SALES2812 CHRONICLEHAYWARDCA
YVWNORTH AMERICAN YACHT CENTER1681 COLUMBIA STNORTH VANCOUVERBC
ZAENORTH AMERICAN ENGINEERING759 HYDE PARK RDLONDON 73ON
ZNANORTH AMERICAN FIBERGLASS

First 3 letters are the Manufacturer HIN. I'm guessing it's a Sleekcraft. Check the first 3 of the HIN
Griff

i didn’t look at the hin# but it’s not a sleek craft. I just posted a pic of the only boat I was able to find on web that is like it.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:26 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 345 Posts

It's a C-26 Bluewater Swordfisher by North American Boat Corp. out of Fort Lauderdale. Hull identification number starts with NAB in 1978.

The hull is a delta design by Harry Shoell, which he designed for Sea Bird as the V-22. North American bought up Sea Bird and produced

the V-22 as the C-22 Mariner and also stretched it to become their C-26. Read history in the link below. Nice design that is inspired by late

Sonny Levi of Italy. Many European racing hulls in the 60's, 70's and 80's were delta designs, inspired by Levi.

1978 North American Boat Corp. center console models.

History of the Sea Bird V-22, then North American, Trojan and Larson by Harry Schoell.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by larslindroth
It's a C-26 Bluewater Swordfisher by North American Boat Corp. out of Fort Lauderdale. Hull identification number starts with NAB in 1978.

The hull is a delta design by Harry Shoell, which he designed for Sea Bird as the V-22. North American bought up Sea Bird and produced

the V-22 as the C-22 Mariner and also stretched it to become their C-26. Read history in the link below. Nice design that is inspired by late

Sonny Levi of Italy. Many European racing hulls in the 60's, 70's and 80's were delta designs, inspired by Levi.

1978 North American Boat Corp. center console models.

History of the Sea Bird V-22, then North American, Trojan and Larson by Harry Schoell.

thanks for taking the time to get the info here buddy. I looked online to see if I can find more of the similar boat by using that model but no luck they must have not produced a lot of them bc the one my client has and the one in picture are the only two I have seen to date.
Old 09-25-2024, 02:41 PM
Registered

Default 1973 S-26 Diplomat

Originally Posted by VidaMarBoats
I have a client that is wanting us to restore a boat for him. He brought it by along with paperwork but I don’t recall the make at all. It looks like the old school powerboats “cigarette” but I don’t recall maker. The paper work states 26’ North American but I have never seen one before. So maybe you guys can chime in with your experience.
I own a 1973 S-26 Diplomat cabin cruiser with twin mercruiser 140’s in it. I got this boat for free when I lived in NH. I’m currently back in central Texas with it. She has made her way from Florida, to NH, all the way to Texas where she is not getting a complete restoration. Good luck finding anything on these boats. I have searched until I was blue in the face. From my understanding they were well built boats. This big ones like mine seem to be even harder to find.
Old 09-25-2024, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 1,022 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by VidaMarBoats

Griff

i didn’t look at the hin# but it’s not a sleek craft. I just posted a pic of the only boat I was able to find on web that is like it.
Thats a 26 Monza hull not designed by Harry Schoel. I asked Brownie who designed it and he wasn’t sure either .

This is my dads 73 Monza 26 . Not many were built and are pretty rare. My brother pulled a mold off it in 1980 and it became a Mirage 26 that the molds than were sold to Century boats and they built quite a few of them.

When I first moved down to Naples there was a little company named Confederate boats that built a center console outboard version for a few years.

Steve the plug and mold builder that used to be on here said the 28 Apache started as a 26 Monza .

The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (09-27-2024)
Old 09-27-2024, 04:23 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

steve koss, the mold maker, passed away a while back, as did one of his twin brothers, that sanded plugs along side of him for years. they all lived together in a warehouse for forever. steve had absolutely nothing to do with the 28 apache tooling/mold making. but yes, a 26 monza(which actually turned out to be only 25 feet long) center console sterndrive boat was what bob used to start with, to tool the 28 apache hull. the 25/26 monza hull was an aronow derivitive hull, like everything else. i was part of the team at the beginning of that project.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ed:
larslindroth (09-28-2024), Padraig (09-27-2024), tommymonza (09-27-2024)
Old 09-27-2024, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 1,022 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed
steve koss, the mold maker, passed away a while back, as did one of his twin brothers, that sanded plugs along side of him for years. they all lived together in a warehouse for forever. steve had absolutely nothing to do with the 28 apache tooling/mold making. but yes, a 26 monza(which actually turned out to be only 25 feet long) center console sterndrive boat was what bob used to start with, to tool the 28 apache hull. the 25/26 monza hull was an aronow derivitive hull, like everything else. i was part of the team at the beginning of that project.
Sorry to hear about Steve. I had a brief discussion on here years ago with Steve when he mentioned that the 28 Apache originated from the 26 Monza and I called BS because the hull of the Apache is convex with that knuckle and the Monza is concave.

He said they highly modified the hull sides to arrive at the Apache. At no time did he state that it was his project.

The hull looks similar to the 24 Cigarette but it isn’t a splash . Brownie said he didn’t know where it came from but not Harry Schoel.

I guess a guy by the name of Keith Eckland started Monza. Don’t know who designed the 19’ Monza also
Old 09-28-2024, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 345 Posts

Every time I look at your father's Monza 26 I fall in love, Tommy. It's definitely the lines of the hull and the windshield is very cool too. The Monza 19

is nice, but can't hold a candle to the 26. Ken Elkind who started Monza Marine has stated that Buddy Smith designed and built his Monza Marine

18, 19, and 26 models. Ken sold Monza Marine in 1971 to Steve Weinsier, Jim Weinsier, George Johnnides, and Don Soffer was the money guy.

They named the company Monza Boat Company. It didn't pen out and Soffer ended up $200,000 in the hole. The Rautboard brothers then bought

the company and put it on the backburner. Did you ever get a chance to see the Monza 26 Plum Crazy, Tommy. I sure wish more 26s would have

been manufactured. Ken Elkind got into manufacturing waterskiing boats in the mid-70s and did so very successfully for more than 15 years.

Last edited by larslindroth; 09-28-2024 at 03:24 PM.