Notices

Stinger or kv?

Old 11-12-2020, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stinger or kv?

If you had to choose between the two vice boats which would it be.
ive decided this year im going ahead. The times come covid etc. so which is the answer
never thought I’d have to worry but here we are.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

If you want a vice boat to be nostalgic and recognizable at the dock while fueling it up wearing a white suit and sandals, then the KV, if you are a purist and want the original then stinger.
Me personally, I'd go with the kv, because I believe I'm dead sexy in a white suit and sandals. But that's just my own opinion
The following 5 users liked this post by resurrected:
87MirageIntruder (11-13-2020), bajaman (11-12-2020), Helmwurst (11-12-2020), larslindroth (12-16-2020), rak rua (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 09:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,161 Likes on 496 Posts

I’ve read reports of structural issues with the Stingers of that vintage but they’re both old boats now and will likely need plenty of work anyway. Notoriety, recognition, performance and resale would say buy the Scarab. Personally, I’d go against all that and buy a Stinger if I could find one. Bigger and slower but I just like the way they look. Both boats are super cool and you’ll lose a big bundle of money but if that doesn’t bother you, pick the one you think looks best.

RR
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (12-16-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

I love the look of the Stinger but the KV is way cool too. I'd have to have 1 of each
RSCHAP1 (09-14-2023)
Old 11-23-2020, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an 83/84 stinger, fantastic boat. Be a purist and go with the season 1 boat. Chris Craft all day.
mickusa (02-17-2021)
Old 11-23-2020, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 279 Posts

Were'nt the chriscraft 41 footer vs scarab were 38?
Old 11-23-2020, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 487 Likes on 252 Posts

The chris is a 39. Both are beautiful boats, either would make a nice ride done right.

funny story about a 390 stinger. My boss had a 30 foot wooden chris craft constellation, beautiful boat put it up for sale guy comes in and trades cash and a delorean for it, he drove the delorean a few months until another guy traded cash and a 390 stinger for the delorean

the stinger was tied up on columbus ave where the then cleveland prop fiberglass shop was, an ore freighter w/ tugs crushed a couple boats coming around the bend under the columbus rd bridge, the stinger got kissed and cracked it at where the sides meet the transom.

the deck and liner was pulled, repaired the damage and bonded the liner back in, from that point forward the boat didnt rattle anymore.

true story cleveland ohio 1985 or 1986

theres another story going around out there about a donzi doral etc subcetra subcetra, and I can tell you now it was me and steve whodunnit. It didnt happen out east "to or like" the liar who was spreading it around.

It happened about 2 minutes after coming out of the cayuhoga pointing the boat right at lorain powerplant on an awesome clear and gently rolling day taking it out to his house on the vermillion river. Same time frame 1984-1986 ish

2 of us like couple dummies all smiling and looking at the gauges that effin boat was so frickin cool and we hit a tree or a telephone pole i dont know which but it looked like it was a mile long and 100 feet in diameter, it tore the starboard drive, helmet and steering fork right out and snapped the tiebar (vovlo 270 speedmasters)
we idled back to columbus rd had it pulled and started over with it.

the boat, the donzi was originally named double trouble white w/ tan or light brown, twin chris craft 350 volvo speedmasters and fell off its trailer, steve bought it and rebuilt it, he had to buy 4 or 5 speedmasters and all the props from another boat shop in florida, that was the deal.

after it sold it came back to cleveland prop (long after i was gone) and it got re rigged w/ volvo duo props this is early 90s, my understanding was the boat ran and handled better with the duo prop drives.

but that boat w/ those speedies, the seats and that windshield, fxxxk !! Steve called it the gangster boat because how it looked, like capone was gonna step out and let loose w/ a chicago typewriter.
that kinda gangster, not a droopy drawered dumbass with a doorfull of 20 inch speakers gangster, just to be clear.

one of these days i'll fill you in how i got arrested the night of the house warming party by the vermillion police and how bill westley had to be my lawyer because the whole thing was mostly his fault lol.

after thinking about that night i wasnt arrested, me and the other employee at the time were just detained in a cell for about an hour until steve and bill showed up to explain everything, but i got the tickets and the copies are most likely still in a box of paperwork in my parents attic. We were never merandized or cuffed or searched, they were just a little upset.

Last edited by outonsafari; 11-23-2020 at 07:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by outonsafari:
larslindroth (12-16-2020), rak rua (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 279 Posts

Ahhh... boat stories...

fill us in ! Need more details and... pictures if possible!
Old 11-23-2020, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 396 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by outonsafari
The chris is a 39. Both are beautiful boats, either would make a nice ride done right.

funny story about a 390 stinger. My boss had a 30 foot wooden chris craft constellation, beautiful boat put it up for sale guy comes in and trades cash and a delorean for it, he drove the delorean a few months until another guy traded cash and a 390 stinger for the delorean

the stinger was tied up on columbus ave where the then cleveland prop fiberglass shop was, an ore freighter w/ tugs crushed a couple boats coming around the bend under the columbus rd bridge, the stinger got kissed and cracked it at where the sides meet the transom.

the deck and liner was pulled, repaired the damage and bonded the liner back in, from that point forward the boat didnt rattle anymore.

true story cleveland ohio 1985 or 1986

theres another story going around out there about a donzi doral etc subcetra subcetra, and I can tell you now it was me and steve whodunnit. It didnt happen out east "to or like" the liar who was spreading it around.

It happened about 2 minutes after coming out of the cayuhoga pointing the boat right at lorain powerplant on an awesome clear and gently rolling day taking it out to his house on the vermillion river. Same time frame 1984-1986 ish

2 of us like couple dummies all smiling and looking at the gauges that effin boat was so frickin cool and we hit a tree or a telephone pole i dont know which but it looked like it was a mile long and 100 feet in diameter, it tore the starboard drive, helmet and steering fork right out and snapped the tiebar (vovlo 270 speedmasters)
we idled back to columbus rd had it pulled and started over with it.

the boat, the donzi was originally named double trouble white w/ tan or light brown, twin chris craft 350 volvo speedmasters and fell off its trailer, steve bought it and rebuilt it, he had to buy 4 or 5 speedmasters and all the props from another boat shop in florida, that was the deal.

after it sold it came back to cleveland prop (long after i was gone) and it got re rigged w/ volvo duo props this is early 90s, my understanding was the boat ran and handled better with the duo prop drives.

but that boat w/ those speedies, the seats and that windshield, fxxxk !! Steve called it the gangster boat because how it looked, like capone was gonna step out and let loose w/ a chicago typewriter.
that kinda gangster, not a droopy drawered dumbass with a doorfull of 20 inch speakers gangster, just to be clear.

one of these days i'll fill you in how i got arrested the night of the house warming party by the vermillion police and how bill westley had to be my lawyer because the whole thing was mostly his fault lol.

after thinking about that night i wasnt arrested, me and the other employee at the time were just detained in a cell for about an hour until steve and bill showed up to explain everything, but i got the tickets and the copies are most likely still in a box of paperwork in my parents attic. We were never merandized or cuffed or searched, they were just a little upset.
Great stories! You definitely got some good Cleveland stories. A bus of mine in early mid 90s bought a stinger of some canton boys that upgraded to a fountain named No Fat Chicks, wonder if it’s the same stinger. I always remembered munjami running around along with Whities MV KV. Any other good stories on the cleveland scene?
Old 11-23-2020, 08:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,161 Likes on 496 Posts

Here’s my Stinger story.....

January 1990, offshore boat racing in Australia on a typically nasty Port Phillip Bay. The start boat was a 390 Stinger. Early morning, he had to drive from Patterson Lakes to St Kilda Marina, where the race start was. At the last minute he chickened out, saying weather conditions were too rough for the 20 mile trip to St Kilda.

Officials at St Kilda were in a flurry, a big event on the Aussie calendar and no start boat. My brother was there in his 3 week old 34’ Riviera Diavolo and he was asked to fill in. Yeah, why not? Had to run in very nasty seas at 35-40 mph, beating up his new Christmas present. Everything went well but lots of retirements and a couple of years later, I bought the Diavolo from my brother (Pic below). I’ve always loved the Stingers but every time I think of them, I question why I’d need a 39 footer when a good 34’ can do the same job. 🙂

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 11-23-2020 at 08:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rak rua:
larslindroth (12-16-2020), outonsafari (11-23-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.