Buying a Formula 242 502 mag >

Buying a Formula 242 502 mag

Notices

Buying a Formula 242 502 mag

Old 01-06-2023, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by larslindroth
Not sure about this one Mads. He had to do quite a bit of stuff to it in 2021. He's had it a very short time. Has no documentation on the 502 motor. Why is he selling already is the question I ask myself. The looks of these late 80's and early 90's Formula models are great, but for the Scandinavian market, they have very limited practicality. I would be looking closer to home if I were You and a boat that is appreciating as a classic in both Norway and Sweden now is the Windy 8000. This one has a very new engine and looks to be in excellent shape. You want Riva Aquarama daycruiser practicality and quality, but for a fraction of the cost. This is the boat I recommend. Most of the ladies that tag along will also dig the amenities, trust me on that one.

Hi Lars,

Thank you very much for your answer. It is highly valued. and i might have to reconsider.
I have read many of your posts, as you are also Scandinavian and incredibly knowledgeable.

I've actually looked at that exact boat before. it was previously for sale privately for $7,000 less.
I'm just not really into that design / style. It's a little too much caravan and too little Miami Vice :-) But of course you're right about women and the toilet, and I like the large cockpit area.

But then the price is also almost 80% higher, so there is some margin in the Formula project.

Mads

Old 01-06-2023, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 689 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Smuggler Boats a Swedish cult classic.

Yeah, I can relate to how you're torn between great looks and practicality Mads. One boat in this size that gives you both in my opinion is a Smuggler Boats 24. It's got a 26-degree v-bottom and very sharp entry. It's considered the best handling of all the Smuggler Boats and I know the brand has a great following in Denmark, though the amount of boats there is pretty limited. That should guarantee a good resale value for you if your priorities change in the future. You're also close to Southern Sweden and Norway where Smuggler Boats have cult status. These 24's are practical as far as space goes and they can take on really rough seas. This one needs an outboard engine, but lots of upgrades lately and the owner seems motivated on price. It's all the way in Stockholm though, but that distance is nothing for the right boat.

https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockh...otor/105236830

Video of sister boat:

Old 01-06-2023, 06:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,161 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by MadsFromDenmark
Hi Griff,

Nice with your answer. I have read several of your posts with great interest.

I have heard of that error. But sorry for the stupid question, how do I check it. The seller is probably not interested in me poking holes in his boat / gelcoat

Otherwise, anything you think about specifically this boat

Best regards

Mads
A good quality moisture meter can help but the old fashioned way still works, IMO.

Medium size hammer, wrap a couple of layers of thin cloth over the head so you don’t damage the gel coat and tap the transom/stringers carefully, listen to the sound. A wet spot will make a dull thud sound and if it’s dry, it’ll make a sharp knock sound. You can hear the difference. Pay attention to any area there is a bolt, screw or thru-hull fitting. Around exhausts is a common spot for moisture, trim tab fittings, sterndrive etc. Same for bolts through the stringers, engine mounts and brackets.

Also look for signs of rust on fittings, you’ll often find a brown water stain trickled down from a screw or bolt. Possibly just a tiny bit of surface rust that leaves a stain but certainly worth checking.

Good luck with your purchasing, I’ve always liked the look of the 242’s.

RR
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (01-06-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 06:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag
Hi Mads, I am from Denmark too, and I have a Formula 292 Fastech, which I have had for 17 years.

Regarding the Formula 242 you are considering I am somewhat concerned, like Lars, regarding the condition of the engine. The engine is raw water cooled, and I am concerned how corroded the cylinderheads and engine block are. Based on the add it sounds like it stays in the water during the season, and the question is if the engine has been properly flushed after each boating trip. The question is also how the engine has been maintained by previous owners. So it is important to ask questions and try to get an idea of the condition of the engine.

It looks like a Stainless Marine exhaust system is fitted to the engine, and that is a positive.

It would also be good to see some pictures of the stern of the boat, including the outdrive.

Regarding the boat I agree it would be good to check the stringers and transom for moisture. A local mechanic here he simply knocks on the transom with his hand at different locations and listens to the sound, and he use that as a quick check to determine if the transom is soaked with water, but I guess it is not that scientific.

Lars is recommending the Windy, which I am sure is a nice boat, but it all depends what you are looking for. There is no problem to go boating in "offshore" style boats in Scandinavia, but I do agree with Lars that the Windy is more practical.

A friend of mine bought the in 1995. It had been for sale by the Formula dealer in Rungsted since new, and when the price was lowered my friend bought it. I love the style of the old Formula boats, and the gelcoat and Imrom paint is top quality, so if you maintain it, it will look great for years to come.

Mads, what is your prior boating experiencing?
Hi Phazar,

Cool you have a 292 fastech. Where is it, I would really like to see it one day.

I have actually looked quite a bit at the boat you link to, but think it will be just the smallest. Then I might as well keep the boat I have. It is a 1968 Marieholm Concorde V8 302 CUi 225 hp.
It's a really fun boat, but since it's only 16 feet, there shouldn't be to much chop before it's not so fun :-) http://www.baadgalleri.dk/galleri/36...lm_concorde_v8

I actually didn't sail a speedboat until two years ago. I have sailed a lot both LAser Radial and larger sailboats and always said that speed/motor boats were for people who couldn't sail.

I agree, there are many boats that are more practical and sail well, but I have totally fallen in love with the idea of ​​a "real" retro offshore poker run boat such as Formula, Donzi, Fountain etc.

Best regards

Mads

Last edited by MadsFromDenmark; 01-07-2023 at 07:01 AM.
larslindroth (01-07-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MadsFromDenmark
Hi Phazar,

Cool you have a 292 fastech. Where is it, I would really like to see it one day.

I have actually looked quite a bit at the boat you link to, but think it will be just the smallest. Then I might as well keep the boat I have. It is a 1968 Marieholm Concorde V8 302 CUi 225 hp.
It's a really fun boat, but since it's only 16 feet, there shouldn't be to much chop before it's not so fun :-) http://www.baadgalleri.dk/galleri/36...lm_concorde_v8

I actually didn't sail a speedboat until two years ago. I have sailed a lot both LAser Radial and larger sailboats and always said that speed/motor boats were for people who couldn't sail.

I agree, there are many boats that are more practical and sail well, but I have totally fallen in love with the idea of ​​a "real" retro offshore poker run boat such as Formula, Donzi, Fountain etc.

Best regards

Mads
I live and boat in Næstved, and the boat is currently in indoor winter storage here at a local boat dealer. You are welcome any time to come and see it, if you like. Just send me a PM, and we can arrange to meet up.

I was not aware that Marieholm has made a speedboat like that, I thought they made sailboats only. It looks like a cool boat

I would agree with you that moving up to a Formula 206 LS is not a big step from your current boat. But the Formulas from back then did not include the swim platform in the length of the boat, so they are relatively longer compared to newer boats where length is measured overall from the front to the rear. In practice the Formula 206 LS was pretty much the same length as a Sea Ray Pachanga 22, and the Doral Phazar 23 that I used to have. But going to a Formula 242 you will be better off when the wind picks up, compared to the 206.
But I would say you are lucky in the area where you go boating that we often have wind from the west in Denmark, so as long as you are close to the shore then you will be fine in a Formula 242.

If I were to downsize, a Formula 242 would definitely be a boat I would consider. Even though times are moving towards outboards, I do like the sound of V8 inboard engines and look of the boats.

Formula has been a relatively well known boat brand here, since there used to be a dealer, and there are some around. Before I bought the Formula 292 Fastech I was considering a Scarab 26, since there Scarab was quite popular here due to the dealer in Jutland. But then a Formula 292 Fastech came out for sale that used to be in Svanemøllen marina, and I bought that instead of a Scarab.

There was an attempt by another Formula dealer around 2007/2008, that imported and sold a Formula 271 Fastech and a Formula 382 Fastech, but that dealer stopped after the financial crisis.

Regards Brian
Old 01-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by larslindroth
Yeah, I can relate to how you're torn between great looks and practicality Mads. One boat in this size that gives you both in my opinion is a Smuggler Boats 24. It's got a 26-degree v-bottom and very sharp entry. It's considered the best handling of all the Smuggler Boats and I know the brand has a great following in Denmark, though the amount of boats there is pretty limited. That should guarantee a good resale value for you if your priorities change in the future. You're also close to Southern Sweden and Norway where Smuggler Boats have cult status. These 24's are practical as far as space goes and they can take on really rough seas. This one needs an outboard engine, but lots of upgrades lately and the owner seems motivated on price. It's all the way in Stockholm though, but that distance is nothing for the right boat.

Hi again Lars,

I have looked at some Smuggler boats and I know they sail well. That could be an option, but I'm not crazy about the targa hoop on that model.

If it is not going to be a "real" offshore style boat like formula, Donzi, Fountain, checkmate etc.. Then it will probably be a coronet that needs restoration. I'm also quite fond of them.

best regards

Mads
Old 01-08-2023, 12:00 AM
Registered

Hi Mads. That's so fantastic that you've got one of the first built Marieholm Concorde. They built a little bit over 600 of those and almost 400 hardtop versions as you probably know. They're great little boats, but yes, if it's little bit too choppy it doesn't have deep enough of a vee. There are plenty of Smuggler 24's without the targa. Another thing you might consider is that the Steve Wynne designed Coronet 21 DC has a newer sister. The original Coronet is difficult to find in good solid condition. The few really well-restored ones are very pricy and then here's my alternative: the Nimbus 21 DC and 22 DC have the same great 24-degree hull as the Coronet 21 DC. They're 20-25 years newer and say a lately re-powered nice V8 Nimbus 21 DC could be had for 125,000 D.Kr. Here's one that really surprised in the very rough 2022 Poker Run Vänern, in Sweden. The build quality on these is very good.

Last edited by larslindroth; 01-08-2023 at 11:57 PM.
rak rua (01-08-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 03:56 PM
Registered

Hi Lars
Cool You know the Marieholm Concorde! But of course You do ;-)

Unfortunately, I don't actually know that much about it, as there isn't much on the internet. However, I am very happy with it and I have no intention of selling it.
I know it exists in HT and open version and an outboard and an inboard version, where the original inboard version was with a volvo B20 130 hp.

Do you know if it was available with a bathing platform? I have seen a few on the web that have, but do not know if they are original.

there is some information on maringuiden.se, but if you can refer to more information, you would be very welcome.

Best regards

Mads

Old 01-09-2023, 12:10 AM
Registered

Yes Mads, the Concorde was manufactured between 1968 and 1977. The Hardtop has minor changes in the hull to create more space inside so 4 people can sleep in it. Apart from that the running surface is almost identical. Offshore racer Halvor Rosenbaum designed the Concorde, and as you mentioned came with the Volvo AQ100 B20 or an outboard motor. There was a 19' and a 23' race boat by Marieholm that some folks like to call the Concorde, but they were not. The hulls on those were derived from the Swedish Gilbert race boats. Glad You're keeping the Concorde.