Buying a Formula 242 502 mag

Notices

Buying a Formula 242 502 mag

Old 01-04-2023, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying a Formula 242 502 mag

Hi every one

My name is Mads and I live north of Copenhagen in Denmark.

I have been stalking the forum here for some time but this is my first post.
I am considering buying a Formula 242 502 magum. I have found this one. http://www.blocket.se/annons/soderma...gnum/103598889

Do you have any thoughts, or anything specific I should look for

thanks in advance og best regards

Mads
Old 01-04-2023, 09:45 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

One of the biggest things to check for on older Formulas is moisture in the transom and stringers.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Looks clean. 242's are great boats, check for rot in transom under the exhaust pipes.
What is the cost in US dollars?
Old 01-05-2023, 02:04 PM
Registered

Hi Griff,

Nice with your answer. I have read several of your posts with great interest.

I have heard of that error. But sorry for the stupid question, how do I check it. The seller is probably not interested in me poking holes in his boat / gelcoat

Otherwise, anything you think about specifically this boat

Best regards

Mads
The following users liked this post:
Griff (01-06-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 02:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
Looks clean. 242's are great boats, check for rot in transom under the exhaust pipes.
What is the cost in US dollars?
around 17.665 US Dollars
Old 01-05-2023, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 98 Posts

Good deal easy to work on not going to get much for that price maybe a sunk boat?
MadsFromDenmark (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 656 Likes on 302 Posts

Not sure about this one Mads. He had to do quite a bit of stuff to it in 2021. He's had it a very short time. Has no documentation on the 502 motor. Why is he selling already is the question I ask myself. The looks of these late 80's and early 90's Formula models are great, but for the Scandinavian market, they have very limited practicality. I would be looking closer to home if I were You and a boat that is appreciating as a classic in both Norway and Sweden now is the Windy 8000. This one has a very new engine and looks to be in excellent shape. You want Riva Aquarama daycruiser practicality and quality, but for a fraction of the cost. This is the boat I recommend. Most of the ladies that tag along will also dig the amenities, trust me on that one.

https://www.dba.dk/windy-8000-mercru.../id-506582187/

MadsFromDenmark (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 12:22 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by MadsFromDenmark
Hi Griff,

Nice with your answer. I have read several of your posts with great interest.

I have heard of that error. But sorry for the stupid question, how do I check it. The seller is probably not interested in me poking holes in his boat / gelcoat

Otherwise, anything you think about specifically this boat

Best regards

Mads
A marine moisture meter is best, but I have seen people use the less expensive moisture meters that are used in the construction industry also.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

Lars is always a wealth of great information
Old 01-06-2023, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Mads, I am from Denmark too, and I have a Formula 292 Fastech, which I have had for 17 years.

Regarding the Formula 242 you are considering I am somewhat concerned, like Lars, regarding the condition of the engine. The engine is raw water cooled, and I am concerned how corroded the cylinderheads and engine block are. Based on the add it sounds like it stays in the water during the season, and the question is if the engine has been properly flushed after each boating trip. The question is also how the engine has been maintained by previous owners. So it is important to ask questions and try to get an idea of the condition of the engine.

It looks like a Stainless Marine exhaust system is fitted to the engine, and that is a positive.

It would also be good to see some pictures of the stern of the boat, including the outdrive.

Regarding the boat I agree it would be good to check the stringers and transom for moisture. A local mechanic here he simply knocks on the transom with his hand at different locations and listens to the sound, and he use that as a quick check to determine if the transom is soaked with water, but I guess it is not that scientific.

Lars is recommending the Windy, which I am sure is a nice boat, but it all depends what you are looking for. There is no problem to go boating in "offshore" style boats in Scandinavia, but I do agree with Lars that the Windy is more practical.

A friend of mine bought this https://www.dba.dk/formula-speedbaad...id-1092760356/ in 1995. It had been for sale by the Formula dealer in Rungsted since new, and when the price was lowered my friend bought it. I love the style of the old Formula boats, and the gelcoat and Imrom paint is top quality, so if you maintain it, it will look great for years to come.

Mads, what is your prior boating experiencing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.