Notices

Don Shead RIP

Old 02-09-2024, 03:32 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Don Shead RIP

For anybody not on Facebook, last Saturday saw the passing of the British Designer Don Shead at the age of 87. The man who raced his own 37' Enfield Marine hull Unowot/Uno Embassy very successfully in the 70's, was also the designer of the World Championship winning CUV/Picchiotti hulls. Further to this he is also credited as the designer behind the Sunseeker brand that has gone on to Worldwide recognition as a modern luxury brand.

In Europe he was rightly considered in powerboat circles as the equivalent of America's Don Aronow.

In 1971 his 37' narrow beamed Enfield Avenger (later known as Unowot/Embassy) saw action on the race circuit, years before others went the narrow beam route. The signature wrap around windscreen saw advances in crew safety and protection. Sadly that hull was eventually used for illegal purposes and subsequently destroyed by authorities in Gibraltar. Her sistership of identical basic design was purchased by Franco Castoldi who took that hull to victory in the class 1 event in Santa Margherita in 1974 - that very hull has recently arrived back in the UK after having been one of the test platforms for the Castoldi concern ever since. Offshore enthusiasts are eagerly awaiting her return afloat - perhaps as a replica of one of her more famous sistership liveries.

Some photographs attached of just a few of his creations.

Rest in Peace Don! Thanks for the beautiful boats you created.

The following 8 users liked this post by littlenige:
floatingphil (02-09-2024), f_inscreenname (02-09-2024), I'CE (02-16-2024), larslindroth (02-10-2024), SB (02-10-2024), sonicss42 (02-09-2024), sutphen 30 (02-13-2024), tommymonza (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 02:40 AM
Registered

Received 656 Likes on 302 Posts

Rest In Peace. What a remarkable nautical designer and racer. I like this first magazine article you posted way back.

Photo courtesy Marco Bertini.

Cigarette Racing Team 40 Limit Up after conversion to pleasure boat for Tim Powell by Don Shead(above). Don at the helm below.

The following 2 users liked this post by larslindroth:
beckmwi (02-12-2024), I'CE (02-16-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 40 Posts

Nigel, very nice tribute! What beautiful designs he gifted the offshore community. RIP Mr. Shead. Another "Don" gone!
The following 2 users liked this post by I'CE:
larslindroth (02-13-2024), sutphen 30 (02-13-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Wow, what a fantastic collection of boat photos for the August 2020 contest! Each one tells a unique story and showcases the beauty of the sea and the vessels that navigate it. I'm particularly drawn to the photo of the sailboat gliding gracefully across the water, its sails catching the sunlight. It's a reminder of the freedom and serenity that being on the water can bring. Great job to all the photographers who submitted their work!"