Notices

Diesel catamaran

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Masterful
I was thinking bravo 1x or 2x diesel drives. They are rated for 370 diesel horses so 270 shouldn’t be bad. I also cruise, not offshore racing. Kevlacat put 170 diesels in their 7.2 meter hulls and got better than 3 mpg and greater than 40 mph top end speed. Those hulls also bow steered less with the motors shafted forward a bit.
Have you ridden in many low speed cat designs ? Almost all handle atrociously as far as I’m concerned.
I’ve spent years and thousands of miles in a 22 SeaCat and though you go where no other 22 footer would go as we did across the Gulf Stream regularly with 4 people and a half ton of supplies and dive gear you had to respect the handling. Big Following seas will find you floating upside down if you don’t dial things back.

The 29 Hydro cat I’ve spent some time on and is a 10 foot wide boat that handled the best of the cats I’ve been in.

My niece has a SeaHunter 41 cat and it handles like crap because it has asymmetrical planning hulls. Obviously they didn’t look back in history and ride on a Blue Thunder cat.
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 843 Likes on 312 Posts

Did you convert an outboard CC or were you upgrading an older inboard with a newer inboard?

We did it the hard way lol. Gutted an older performance boat and rebuilt as a CC.
Where are looking to fish?

The following users liked this post:
tommymonza (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hoodoo 2.0
I bought a pair of 370 Yanmars from Mastry to repower a CC fishing rig. They didn’t have any interest in doing the installs, but I knew that upfront. To me the diesels are more economical for long range trips.

To me the only benefit of diesel is when you can’t economically power a larger boat with gas. The value of diesel savings is hardly ever recovered by the original owner and can quickly become a liability once they need service or repair. Think Caterpillar or Volvo. .

I spent 20 thousand on parts the first 2 years with my Yanmar 300 back in 2000. I know it wasn’t a Yanmar design like the 370 but all those light weight motors are usually marinized land motors.

Last edited by tommymonza; Yesterday at 07:31 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve ridden in a twin vee 260, world cat 280, world cat 230ccx, and eastward 2400 seaward. The Seaward is a 3000 with 6 foot lopped off the stern. Twin Vee and world cat 230 require a bit more handling to stay upright. 280 and 2400 have significantly higher tunnels. I like how they ride but dealing with angry fish on the planer rod makes me jealous of my buddy’s 32 Albe.
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hoodoo 2.0
We did it the hard way lol. Gutted an older performance boat and rebuilt as a CC.
Where are looking to fish?

What was that originally ? Beautiful job .
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 843 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
To me the only benefit of diesel is when you can’t economically power a larger boat with gas. The value of diesel savings is hardly ever recovered by the original owner and can quickly become a liability once they need service or repair. Think Caterpillar or Volvo. .

I spent 20 thousand on parts in my first year with my Yanmar the first 2 years with my Yanmar 300 back in 2000. I know it wasn’t a Yanmar design like the 370 but all those light weight motors are usually marinized land motors.

Oh I agree, if I do another one I’ll do trip 300’s and call it good. But this one’s staying diesel.
tommymonza (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
Registered

Awesome boat hoodoo. I’m a nc fisherman. My offshore runs are 50-75 miles. I have a friend that occasionally trailers to the middle grounds out of FL. I’d be tempted to do that one day.
tommymonza (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM
Registered

I’ve ridden in a twin vee 260, world cat 280, world cat 230ccx, and eastward 2400 seaward. The Seaward is a 3000 with 6 foot lopped off the stern. Twin Vee and world cat 230 require a bit more handling to stay upright. 280 and 2400 have significantly higher tunnels. I like how they ride but dealing with angry fish on the planer rod makes me jealous of my buddy’s 32 Albe.
Yea the one advantage of the cat is no rolling in a sea at idle. How far you going offshore and what waters . If your familiar with Albamare why not go with one of those ?
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Registered

Awesome boat hoodoo. I’m a nc fisherman. My offshore runs are 50-75 miles. I have a friend that occasionally trailers to the middle grounds out of FL. I’d be tempted to do that one day.
I was going to say Outerbanks being you brought up Albamare . I used to parasail Kitty Hawk running out of the Sport fish docks back in the day and Corolla also. I use to work building boats for Paul Mann during the winter.

Last edited by tommymonza; Yesterday at 07:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
Registered

The albemarle weighs 14000lb or more ready for battle. I would need a wet slip. They dont power it with diesel anymore for a new build. Most new 31s are twin or triple high hp outboards. They also don’t come in a center console configuration. The old 31 trolled like a champ though.
tommymonza (Yesterday)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.