Notices

Diesel catamaran

Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Masterful
Awesome boat hoodoo. I’m a nc fisherman. My offshore runs are 50-75 miles. I have a friend that occasionally trailers to the middle grounds out of FL. I’d be tempted to do that one day.
Spearfished middle grounds a few times. Looking forward to running my newly acquired rig to spend a week out there this Spring slaughtering fish.

Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM
Registered

Gotta take the dog out BRB.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 843 Likes on 312 Posts

I’m not familiar with that cat. NC is super snotty water I thought. Wouldn’t you be better off with a 40+ old school V?
The following users liked this post:
tommymonza (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Gotta take the dog out BRB.
Let’s do a slow run out to Pulley Ridge deep dropping.
tommymonza (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoodoo 2.0
I’m not familiar with that cat. NC is super snotty water I thought. Wouldn’t you be better off with a 40+ old school V?
unlimited budget, yes. Problem with sport boats is all the systems that have to be maintained. Buying used, all that crap comes with the boat. CCs have way fewer things to break. Then a 40 foot old school cc would have to be new with a 400-700k price tag. Since I’m interested in new construction, size is definitely a consideration. I also have no desire to deal with a wet slip. That’s the biggest problem. Trailering a 40 would take a 3500 truck, a goose neck, multiple permits and guts I don’t have.
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Masterful
unlimited budget, yes. Problem with sport boats is all the systems that have to be maintained. Buying used, all that crap comes with the boat. CCs have way fewer things to break. Then a 40 foot old school cc would have to be new with a 400-700k price tag. Since I’m interested in new construction, size is definitely a consideration. I also have no desire to deal with a wet slip. That’s the biggest problem. Trailering a 40 would take a 3500 truck, a goose neck, multiple permits and guts I don’t have.

My dad used to own a 48 foot sailboat that we cruised all over the Great Lakes back in the 70s and he used to repeatedly tell me to never own a boat you need to depend on someone else for dockage and storage and repairs.

50 years later I bought this trawler and a 37 foot sailboat after hurricane Ian The dockage and yard problems are never ending.

I hear you on older boats. I looked at enough 15-20 + year old boats that if you gave me them and 30 thousand I wouldn’t take them.

I would have never have bought my trawler out of auction if my buddy hadn’t just got done replacing almost every system on the boat and still it’s always something.

A nice custom Carolina boat 30 feet long and 10 foot wide with a shallow 10 degree bottom with a lot of rocker to carry a deep sharp forefoot is the ticket. A nice flared bow would be a plus .

where in NC ? You running out of Oregon Inlet ?

You need a boat that can carry the bow like this for those waters off Hatteras.

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM
Registered

Ok I see the cat your talking about has really tall sponson's which do well up there. I was thinking more like Calcutta’s. Are they configured for inboard power?
tommymonza (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
Registered

Ok I see the cat your talking about has really tall sponson's which do well up there. I was thinking more like Calcutta’s. Are they configured for inboard power?
I take it you live up by Tampa / St Pete area Hoo doo with Calcutta .

Problem with an under 30 cat is they can’t handle the extra weight of the diesels and outdrives. Cats have very little buoyancy and once their little reserve has been breached they sink and rollover in a flash .

Dont ask me how I know I sunk my 32 foot cat parasail boat twice.
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
Registered

That’s what I was wondering. I have a 246 world cat on the lift at home and only keep it because I have crappy water at low tide and it runs shallow. But it sucks with a quartering following sea. Anything less than perfect trim and it hooks pretty hard. We use it to run around the bay and sandbar stuff but rarely go way offshore with it anymore. I’ve been on an older 33 WC that was awesome though.
tommymonza (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
Registered

That’s what I was wondering. I have a 246 world cat on the lift at home and only keep it because I have crappy water at low tide and it runs shallow. But it sucks with a quartering following sea. Anything less than perfect trim and it hooks pretty hard. We use it to run around the bay and sandbar stuff but rarely go way offshore with it anymore. I’ve been on an older 33 WC that was awesome though.
My original parasail boat back in 1987 was a 32 foot aluminum outboard cat built locally here in Naples by BellCraft . It was a glorified square hulled pontoon boat 🚤 converted into a parasail winch boat.

The 22 SeaCat I ran around in for years was a World Cat design originally. Great boat for the size but 32mph was top speed withv130s .
Running in following seas with those skinny cats will raise the hair on your neck , if they hook hard you’re phucked as you know.

I have been caught running across the Gulf Stream a couple times in that 22 and even though running slow we got surfing down steep waves and surfing and hooking . Scary Chit

I was just looking for the Benchmark 38 that I was on in Miami boat show in 95 but few were made and they went out of business.

My choice would be a custom Carolina boat around 35 and trailerable with outboards.

If a cat a Hydro cat 29 with outboards.

Last edited by tommymonza; Yesterday at 09:46 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.