Notices

Diesel catamaran

Old Today, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoodoo 2.0
Ok I see the cat your talking about has really tall sponson's which do well up there. I was thinking more like Calcutta’s. Are they configured for inboard power?
in the US, I doubt think it was ever attempted. In Australia, they did great. The problem with USA made kevlacats is 2 or 3 different people made them. Only one knew his stuff on how to make an excellent boat the others had QC problems. The motor they put in can be powered up to either 250 or 270 hp. If they can do it in a 24, it would surprise me if I can’t use the same blocks in a 30

I haven’t hit 10 post yet so I can’t post links. Look up diesel Kevlacat. First thing that shows up of google is a positive review
Old Today, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
I take it you live up by Tampa / St Pete area Hoo doo with Calcutta .

Problem with an under 30 cat is they can’t handle the extra weight of the diesels and outdrives. Cats have very little buoyancy and once their little reserve has been breached they sink and rollover in a flash .

Dont ask me how I know I sunk my 32 foot cat parasail boat twice.
the nanni 270 is only 250lbs heavier than a Suzuki 300. Including out drive. I figured a lower COG would actually help sea keeping. I think a few the 20 degree inboard boat makers including Albemarle went up on deadrise when they went to outboards. I figured that was compensating to a different distribution of weight.

Last edited by Masterful; Today at 07:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tommymonza (Today)