Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Concept
Drove my first Concept ever!  Need some input... >

Drove my first Concept ever! Need some input...

Notices

Drove my first Concept ever! Need some input...

Old 03-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove my first Concept ever! Need some input...

Today, I drove my first Concept ever. It was a 1999 Concept 33 with 250 Johnson two strokes. FYI, it was windy as crap today (20mph), so made for for sloppy water--1-2 footers. On initial start up. I was pleasantly suprised to see some smoke for only a min or two. Idling thru the canals, there was no VISIBLE smoke. One in the river, the boat HOPPED on plane! Unbelievable how fast it got on plane. It accelerated well. But, we ran it as much as 5200 rpm and got (IIRC) 48 mph on GPS. There may have been more in it but we didn't go there (there's speed restrictions on this part of the river). Plus, being unfamiliar with this type of boat and THIS boat in particular, I wasn't comfortable in these conditions trying to set it up for a top end WFO run with the tabs (wind gusts, etc). We seemed to cruise at 4000-4200 rpm getting about 36-38 mph. Does this sound right? The owner said the boat has seen 60mph. On the way back to his house, the wind was at our backs, and you could smell (not see) the two stroke. I'm ok with that, but the wife might be so fond of that situation when it might arise.
I am considering buying this boat so any input would be great!
Old 03-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Is the 33 what is now the 36? Or the 32? If 36, I would think 250's is bordering on underpowered. I know a lot of 36's had 250's or 275's before the bigger motors came out, but all seem to have 300's or more now.

BTW, (I think) 2000 is when Concept started all composite construction, something else to think about.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI being a 99 it's before Concept switched to wood free construction so I'd be sure to check stringers and transom for rot.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 770 Likes on 307 Posts

18 year old Johnson 2 strokes wouldn't be my pick for power
Old 03-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blckkat
Just an FYI being a 99 it's before Concept switched to wood free construction so I'd be sure to check stringers and transom for rot.
Interesting point! Thanks for the heads up on that!
Originally Posted by tommymonza
18 year old Johnson 2 strokes wouldn't be my pick for power
I know. I passed by his ad several times because of that, but, I'm glad I got to try out the big center console without having to drive for several hours. He was right down the street. I expected more speed at cruise than 36-38mph at 4200rpm. He said it was because of the choppy and windy river. But, IIRC, choppy water should get you some more speed. We'll see. I haven't written it off yet, but he is a little on the high side price wise. Especially with the Johnsons and NON composite construction.

The boat was in great condition for the age. However, there was a couple "cracks" coming from the center console out in to the starboard side walk area and the front seat in front of the center console.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:45 PM
Registered

you have to but the boat for hull value only, motors are worth about 4-5K total, I have 2001 Yamaha 2S and they are fine (when gas is below $3 gal), expect annoying repairs every couple weeks too, BUT I don't have 50K to spend on new motors at the moment so they will have to do
Old 04-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Registered

Nice boat just wouldn't buy that wood ****ty thing buy a foam
Boat my friend
Old 04-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

FWIW, I run the Klotz 2-stroke oil in my Merc 175 on my little boat.
http://www.klotzlube.com/marine.html

It actually has a pleasant smell, designed as such. Just keep that in your pocket when considering 2-strokes.