No wake Zones on the CT river >

No wake Zones on the CT river

Notices

No wake Zones on the CT river

Old 08-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No wake Zones on the CT river

So heres the No wake zones. Is it me or does it seem like there are more marked out on the river than are officially listed?
Heres where it originated:
http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a...epNav_GID=1620

No person shall operate a motorboat in excess of Slow-No-Wake:
(A) From the Bulkeley Bridge in Hartford to Saybrook outer light in Old Saybrook; when passing marinas, yacht clubs, anchorages and docks, boat launches and congested areas.
(B) Within the following specific areas:
The area between the Saybrook breakwaters bounded northerly by the Saybrook inner light and bounded southerly by the Saybrook outer light in Old Saybrook:
The area bounded northerly by navigation aid Connecticut River light #15 and bounded southerly by the southern most point of Saybrook Point in Old Saybrook;
The area bounded northerly by navigation aid Connecticut River RED NUN #20 and bounded southerly by the railroad bascule bridge in Old Saybrook;
The area bounded northerly by a point 800 feet upstream from the East Haddam Bridge and bounded southerly by a point 1,500 feet downstream from the East Haddam Bridge;
The area bounded northerly by a point five hundred feet downstream from the highway bridge in Middletown and bounded southerly by navigation aid Connecticut River light #87;
The area bounded northerly by the navigation aid Connecticut River light #113 and bounded southerly by the water tower on property now or formerly known as the Connecticut Foundry in Rocky Hill.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:49 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is at least one unofficial one just north of Midway, but as para one says you can't rock anybody's boat. Also you are responsible for any damage caused by your wake period
Old 08-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Registered

where have you read that info?

Unofficial or illegal?

I am all for keeping peoples possessions in good shape for them but at the same time the people on the river have a right to know what IS and IS NOT a real no wake zone.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:20 PM
rjr
Registered

This is the long way of saying that you are responsible for your wake unless you have a good lawyer. In the USPS Safe Boating Course we teach that you are responsible period.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov
/?pageName=navRulesFAQ#0.3_1010. What are the regulations concerning wake effects, wake damage, and responsibility? Regarding one's wake, vessels over 1600 Gross Tons are specifically required by Title 33 CFR 164.11 to set the vessel's speed with consideration for...the damage that might be caused by the vessel's wake. Further, there may be State or local laws which specifically address "wake" for the waters in question.

While vessels under 1600 GT are not specifically required to manage their speed in regards to wake, they are still required to operate in a prudent matter which does not endanger life, limb, or property (46 USC 2302). Nor do the Navigation Rules exonerate any vessel from the consequences of neglect (Rule 2), which, among other things, could be unsafe speeds (Rule 6), improper lookout (Rule 5), or completely ignoring your responsibilities as prescribed by the Navigation Rules.

As to whether or not a particular vessel is responsible for the damage it creates is a question of law and fact that is best left to the Courts. For more information, contact your local Marine Patrol or State Boating Law Administrator.

The booklet you mention also says no wake around marinas and yacht clubs.

Funny, when I had a slow boat the NWZ's up the river didn't bother me too much. They were short and pretty far apart. With my 382 they got a lot closer together, and much more annoying.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Registered

Good info RJR I like having this kind of info in the CPBA thread.

It will help to make this a better club to have good discussion of laws and rules that pertain to us all.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Registered

The river is someday going to be one big no wake zone.
It will useless to anyone for boatings except trawlers.
The small boat guys already have had to push thier way up past portland to enjoy the river.

at the same time I understand that there needs to be some sort of relief for people to have safe haven to launch their boats and moor etc.

Its a balancing act.

Its nice to keep an open dialog about these types of things.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:25 PM
rjr
Registered

Anyone have a contact at Connecticut DEP? I got stopped at that suspicious no wake zone North of Midway. The cops acted funny, wouldn't get close to my boat, their boat was kind of rinky dink, no fenders on the side of their boat I got the feeling they were rent a cops. The Connecticut Boaters guide also says that ALL buoys must have a permit issued by DEP. I am wondering if these do. They are between buoys 50 & 52.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I just spent 30 minutes searching online for a map that shows no wake zones....I saw a very specific one once, but if we're supposed to obey the law, the "law" sure makes it difficult to do...I think the CPBA should ask the simple question of the DEP..."Can you provide us with a map, please, so we do not violate any regulations?"
I'm sure that that Q with a kind thank you from our president (not Obama)...might get us what we need...
c

...or i could just do it...
Old 09-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Registered

If you want to C, GO FOR IT!

I am swamped with work right now. Id like to see the map myself. because there are a few I am not so sure about being legit.

WTF is it with private homes having NWZ anyway?
if you can afford a NWZ can't you afford a freakin boat lift??
Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Registered

Here is a map I believe is from 03.

http://www.essexislandmarina.com/speedzones.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.