Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block? >

How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?

Notices

How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 556 Posts

The red wires are the battery 12v+ supply for the switches to send through the blue and green wires to trigger the pumps up and down. The blue wires are wired on the "UP" solenoid but your gonna have to double check how the pumps are plumbed intot he system to see which wire will trigger UP/Down or IN/OUT. The purple wires are usually the trim limit senders on the drives to keep the pumps from pumping after the drives have hit their limits....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Yes they will jump wires. You can see on the old unit that they did that.

Maybe a little info to help. Green is trim down. Blue is trim up on the trim pumps.

For example you will have three wires from each trim pump. Those three wires are going to go to 5 or 6 locations. They will go to the trim up and down for the single switch (the one with only three wires) and they will go to the up and down for the switch that moves both drives together (the one with 6 wires hooked up to it). Now for the fun part. Were is the jumper happening. It apears that it happens at the switch best I can tell.

We need to know how many wires come down the harness from the switch. I am hoping 12 (three for each pump motor)
Yes 12 wires three from each pump, got the whole green blue thing and even understand the red wire to power the switches, but I don't know what to do with the purple wire at the switch term block.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
The red wires are the battery 12v+ supply for the switches to send through the blue and green wires to trigger the pumps up and down. The blue wires are wired on the "UP" solenoid but your gonna have to double check how the pumps are plumbed intot he system to see which wire will trigger UP/Down or IN/OUT. The purple wires are usually the trim limit senders on the drives to keep the pumps from pumping after the drives have hit their limits....
Yes the purple wires are back at the pump for the drive limit, but also at the end of the harness up by the switch terminal block, why and what do I do with the purple wire?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How good are you at trimming your boat? I did not hook mine up I hate them. I do know when to stop trimming however so..... Neither my Formula or Donzi have the trim limits hooked up.

Jon
Old 12-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

Change the plumbing if needed, but Blue should always be up for the drives & down for the tabs (it is the hi pressure side)

Not sure of the purple in your case, what you really need is the 3 wires from each pump - hot, up & down as shown on the attached. The hot will always go to the center terminal on the switches. The outer switches will have each terminal jumped to the closest 1 side off the double pole (6 terminal) switch in the middle.

How about making a drawing for us of the wiring on your switches to the terminal block?

At the end of the day all you need is 12 wires, might not hurt to unwrap that bundle and see where your 15 all go.

I have never seen the trim limit used on this type of panel, you would need a nother switch to bypass for trailer position.
Attached Thumbnails How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?-image002.jpg  
Old 12-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

Just took another look at your pump harness pictures, I am going to assume the purple is the hot wire on those. Why don't you power it up & jump the purple & blue and see what happens? Can't make too much of a fire if wrong
Old 12-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Mbam
Can't make too much of a fire if wrong
I thought you guys were good Multi meter and or test light are your friend!! LOL.

Magnum, Bam has it right you need the Blue to be up on drives and down on tabs so that you are working with the high preasure side of the pump on the hardest direction.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Registered

Another question; Looks like I need a fuse "a" I didn't figure on, is this usually a inline or at the fuse box? I try to stay away from inline fuses because you can never find them. I am out of room on my box at the dash.

Also I can use purple as red(hot) to switch? and I get the whole blue green up down thing, From what I read jumps are happening on the Pump side of the terminal block to put 15 wires on a 10 posts so everything works. I will find someone to help me use a multi meter to figure it all out I guess.

Last edited by 27 MAGNUM; 12-05-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
The blue wires are wired on the "UP" solenoid but your gonna have to double check how the pumps are plumbed intot he system to see which wire will trigger UP/Down or IN/OUT. The purple wires are usually the trim limit senders on the drives to keep the pumps from pumping after the drives have hit their limits....
Blue Sky

Green Grass

The easy way to remember what the solenoid wires on the drive trip pump!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Magnume: There is a fuse on the trim pump for the up and down. If you look close behind the bracket there is small black rubber case. That opens up for the fuse.

Magnum were you at?

Quick Reply: How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.