Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block? >

How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?

Notices

How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Magnume: There is a fuse on the trim pump for the up and down. If you look close behind the bracket there is small black rubber case. That opens up for the fuse.

Magnum were you at?
Thats what I thought, the fuses on the pumps protect the whole circuit and I don't need to protect the switches to the fuse box. They are protected by the fuses at the pumps right?

My question is still the same, how do I end up with 15 wires on 10 posts with a total of 12 wires on the pump side of the terminal block???
Please look at my post 1 pic 1 and you can see the old terminal block has 15 wires on the pump side. I have never gotten the answer on how to wire the pump side of the terminal block and I would like to do it this Saturday. I know somebody knows, don't hold back guys.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the fuse at the pump is all you need.

Do you want to wire it exactly as it was? Are you going to put the trim limit switch back in?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 27 MAGNUM
My question is still the same, how do I end up with 15 wires on 10 posts with a total of 12 wires on the pump side of the terminal block???
Please look at my post 1 pic 1 and you can see the old terminal block has 15 wires on the pump side. I have never gotten the answer on how to wire the pump side of the terminal block and I would like to do it this Saturday. I know somebody knows, don't hold back guys.
I could help you better in person probably....
The extra wires on the pump side do a few possible things....

1) If you have a trailer button, these wires most likely bypass your trim limit switch (if you have one).
2) The wires on the block control both drives at the same time. Three switches on the dash... Port, Stbd. and Both.
3. A lot of trim switch systems have a one way diode between the two switches and the one that controls both of them.

Is that what you're asking?
Old 12-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Registered

Yes the fuse at the pump is all you need.

Do you want to wire it exactly as it was? Are you going to put the trim limit switch back in?
I have a think I would have a limit, my drives are Bravo sounds like I need that.
Yes, I want to wire it exactly as it was, I have no trailer bypass button just the switch panel in the pic and no diodes either.
Just need to figure out how to wire the pump side of the terminal block like they had, but I have 12 wires coming up from the 4 pumps and they had 15 wires on 10 posts.

Last edited by 27 MAGNUM; 12-07-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Best I can tell you do not want to hook up the trim limit switch because if you do you will not be able to trim up your drive for trailering. Then you have 10 wires coming from yout switch panel to the terminal block. Then you have 12 wires going out to the trim pumps the powers according to your notaion gets put together. I am not a big fan of that putting the power together because you are effectivly giving your trim pumps 40 amps of protection instead of 20. I would get another terminal strip with 12 connectors on it and that way you have them all fused properly. Plus if the fuse blows you do not loose two pumps.

Jon
Old 12-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Registered

Lets try to keep it simple, can we figure out only Green.

I have 4 green wires from the pumps;
2 Green Down for Port+Starbord Tabs.
2 Green Down for Port+Starbord Drives.

The right side of Terminal Strip has 6 green wires vs. my 4.

Can anyone tell me how to take 4 wires from the pumps and get 6 conected to the terminal strip.

Terminal 10 AT TOP with 2 wires is starbord and both Tabs.
Terminal 8 with 2 wires is starbord and both Drives.

Terminnal 2 with 1 wire is Port Drive
Terminal 3 with 1 wire is Port Tab

All that is 6 wires I only have 4 even a jump wire dosn't seem to add up to 4 terminals with 2 greens each and 2 terminals with 1 green each?
Attached Thumbnails How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?-picture-016.jpg  
Old 12-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

the extra green and blue wires should be connected to the switch that's marked "Both", when that switch is fired up it activates both the drives at the same time. You can jump the wires at the buss, where it looks like it was done, or you can jump them behind the switches.

same for the tabs.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Panther
the extra green and blue wires should be connected to the switch that's marked "Both", when that switch is fired up it activates both the drives at the same time. You can jump the wires at the buss, where it looks like it was done, or you can jump them behind the switches.

same for the tabs.
They apeared to be jumped at the switch as I am looking at it that is what it looks like to me.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Magnum you have to read my post above. Do you want this STOCK or CORRECT?
Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

They apeared to be jumped at the switch as I am looking at it that is what it looks like to me.
The wires appear to be cut so maybe it was wired from the bus at one point and now it's jumped at the switch.

Quick Reply: How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.