Notices

smartcraft retrofit

Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a intersting project I have talked to my electrical electronic group abpoout and depenf=ding on what you actually want to do with it would not be that difficult for prob between a $100 and $1000 you can he=get the necessaryu stand alone hardware and a 6-10" c0ommercial color touch screen. If you want this just to monitir and take teh place of all of you analog guaged it the just a matter of writting the code which a can get prtty costly if you cant do your self

The question is is there a maket for this and what could you sell it for?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Better hurry, I know of one source working on it!!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Registered

Smartcraft utilizes the CAN protocol; controller area network. This is a multiplex wiring system widely used in the automotive industry. www.tern.com sell an inexspensive ($100) OEM module that can be programmed in C language. Better yet, I think this wheel has already been invented. The aftermarket automotive industry has this available for gauges, etc. The benefit is ease of wiring, since CAN sends message packets over the network.

Regards,

Mark S.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 502ss
What is your goal? Are you doing it to save space, Wow factor, or functionality.

You may be interested in these guys. I am giving there SeagaugeG12 a real hard look. I wish the screen was color.
http://www.seagauge.com/SeaGaugeG12.htm

Along the same lines Garmin is making this unit which is color.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=162&pID=11625
It says it will accept NMEA 0183 signals which the Seagauge-RM will output. I think this is definetly doable even if not with smartcraft per say and the price actually comes out a lot cheaper then doing all analog gauges for twins.

I agree, I think we can figure this out, Let me know how far you have got with the smartcraft.
The goal is to be able to re-power a 1075 boat with a Gellner power plant without re-rigging. Plug and play. We have the technology!
Old 02-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Gellner from your post it sounds like you are going with a backwards compatible approach? In other words putting a new motor with new tech. into a boat that has older analog guages?

What I and it sounds like others are interested in is that they would like to use their older motors with the new tech guages and have the features of MPG and depth and so on all died into the GPS and what not.

Jon
Old 02-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Gellner from your post it sounds like you are going with a backwards compatible approach? In other words putting a new motor with new tech. into a boat that has older analog guages?

What I and it sounds like others are interested in is that they would like to use their older motors with the new tech guages and have the features of MPG and depth and so on all died into the GPS and what not.

Jon
Let's just say we have an interested party that would like to take Merc 1075's out and plug in my 1350's SC EFI without changing anything.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
These are the NMEA Tags that the Seagauge will listen for. I would imagine with a little bit of searching on the internet you could easily find the sentence structures.
As you mentioned, Seaguage doesn't need NMEA tags, since it has its own analog to digital converters. Looks like a nifty product.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 02-24-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

There is some stuff in the works involving CAN. There is a system being tested right now that will integrate everything and display whatever you want. It has a ton of really cool features which I'm not supposed to discuss...
Old 03-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Any update?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The racepack and : http://www.racepak.com/

Aim dashes/dataloggers will integrate with the Mefi4.

http://www.aimsports.com/

Jeff

Quick Reply: smartcraft retrofit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.