Notices

smartcraft retrofit

Old 02-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default smartcraft retrofit

Anyone ever retrofitted smartcraft instrumentation to a non Mercury engine. Can you by the controller that accepts all the sender inputs? Can it even be done?
Old 02-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I have not done this, but can give you a few issues. Smartcraft integrates with Mercury's Powertrain Control Module, which adjusts fuel, spark, idle speed, and even throttle for the engine based on sensor and control inputs. It could be added to an existing engine, BUT you would have to add every Mercury wiring harnness, sensor, throttle control, fuel system, etc. to the engine. It would also have to have the same block, cam, heads, etc., because otherwise the calibrations will be off. Given the cost and time to do this, you would be better off getting a used Mercury engine with everything installed, and putting that in.

Michael
Old 02-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Registered

ok, so let me ask a different question. Does anyone make a system that will allow you to hook up all your sensors and probes from like your water temp, oil PSI, TACH signal, GPS signal to some sort of control module that will then allow that information to be displayed on an LCD screen. I am in the process of replacing my entire instrument cluster and in the older scarabs I am limited on real estate. Thought it would be real nice to mount a couple of 5" LCD's and display all the gauges in a digital display. Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

Not going to happen on an older engine. I did my best on my older Wellcraft cruiser, 4 in 1 plus tach for each engine. I was able to put the gps in the space I saved.
Attached Thumbnails smartcraft retrofit-dash.jpg  
Old 02-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently working on this for a 1075 project. It's gonna take some time, but I think we can crack the safe!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
Currently working on this for a 1075 project. It's gonna take some time, but I think we can crack the safe!
What is your goal? Are you doing it to save space, Wow factor, or functionality.

You may be interested in these guys. I am giving there SeagaugeG12 a real hard look. I wish the screen was color.
http://www.seagauge.com/SeaGaugeG12.htm

Along the same lines Garmin is making this unit which is color.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=162&pID=11625
It says it will accept NMEA 0183 signals which the Seagauge-RM will output. I think this is definetly doable even if not with smartcraft per say and the price actually comes out a lot cheaper then doing all analog gauges for twins.

I agree, I think we can figure this out, Let me know how far you have got with the smartcraft.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mbam
Not going to happen on an older engine. I did my best on my older Wellcraft cruiser, 4 in 1 plus tach for each engine. I was able to put the gps in the space I saved.
I think it is doable, see my links above!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a guy that came on the site a last year that said he had figured it out. Never heard from him again however.... You need to contact the company that writes the NEMA code and get that. Then you can make a D-A converter to do what ever you want it to do. Not super hard once you get the language that the units use (the hard part).
Old 02-22-2008, 04:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
There was a guy that came on the site a last year that said he had figured it out. Never heard from him again however.... You need to contact the company that writes the NEMA code and get that. Then you can make a D-A converter to do what ever you want it to do. Not super hard once you get the language that the units use (the hard part).
These are the NMEA Tags that the Seagauge will listen for. I would imagine with a little bit of searching on the internet you could easily find the sentence structures.
Attached Thumbnails smartcraft retrofit-nmea-tags.jpg  
Old 02-22-2008, 06:46 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All it takes is money

Quick Reply: smartcraft retrofit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.