Notices

Need aluminum or plastic fuel tank

Old 05-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 502ss
Jon,

Whats up with your tank?

I have to get mine removed so I can find out why it's leaking. Someone on this board sent me a private message. He is out of manchester, CT. He said he can repair the origional or make a new one. Again maybe we can go together and get a better deal! I am going to try to get the tank out today, I will let you know

...Jim
Good luck getting that tank out without damageing it...Mine fought me every step of the way. We ended up running a chain from the filler neck to the sending unit hole and putting a 4x4 across the boat and using a chain fall. It looked like a coffin when it came out.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks man, I will give them a call!
Hey BIG Daddy did they help ya out ??? i needed 2 tanks and was gettin prices of 700.00 - 900.00 each ,and they were like 250.00 shipped
Old 05-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Hey BIG Daddy did they help ya out ??? i needed 2 tanks and was gettin prices of 700.00 - 900.00 each ,and they were like 250.00 shipped
No luck man, I called them and the biggest tank the can get is 55 Gallons, They said the company they used to get there larger tanks from went out of business! Thanks Anyway
Old 05-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Good luck getting that tank out without damageing it...Mine fought me every step of the way. We ended up running a chain from the filler neck to the sending unit hole and putting a 4x4 across the boat and using a chain fall. It looked like a coffin when it came out.
Did you have to remove the rear seat/firewall?

Is the tank actually bolted in anywhere or just foamed in?

I was kind of hoping you would chime in, considering you have been down this restoration road with the same boat!
Old 05-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Registered

Rear seat needs to come out...no bolts...just alot of foam. Use a big pry bar to scoop the foam down the sides of the tank. Then when you have the sides clear pour a bunch of acetone in there to break up the foam on the bottom of the tank. That is the hard part-trying to get the bottom foam to pop loose.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Registered

Is the tank rectangular? or does it have angles on the bottom?

If I have to replace the tank which is the direction I am leaning in I may just use brute force to rip it out, kind like you did, I have a chain fall that I will attempt to rip it out with!
Old 05-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Registered

It has about an 8" flat spot on the bottom then angles. When I pulled my old tank out it was a real mess. I ended up going with a little thicker material on the new tank. He was able to make my tank wit one sheet of alum. which helped out on the cost of the tank. Make sure you have the new tank built with baffels. Also I took the time to prime and paint the new tank before I foam it into place.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Registered

Boy does this look like a real bear to get out!

I took the rear seat out but it looks like I may have to cut the firewall(the fiberglass that sepeartes the engine compartment from the passenger compartment. This looks like a real suck pill!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Registered

Boy does this look like a real bear to get out!

I took the rear seat out but it looks like I may have to cut the firewall(the fiberglass that sepeartes the engine compartment from the passenger compartment. This looks like a real suck pill!
It will come out without cutting the firewall...You have to lift from the front of the tank. Of all the stuff I did on mine the fuel tank was the worst part.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Registered

ok, Thanks! I will let you know how I make out!

Quick Reply: Need aluminum or plastic fuel tank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.