Notices

starter problem

Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter

Make sure you are using a starter that is made for the number of teeth on your flywheel. They make two different flywheels.The same starter will work on both but not for long. Check the tooth number and make sure you have the starter to match.I have been down this road. Just my 2 cents JOHN
Old 10-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

hey ant...
are you using a starting battery with enough cca? merc does not recommend deep cycles for the task. i'd even steer clear of dual purpose...try something in the 800 cca range (it will carry an even higher mca rating. it could be like any other electric device...too little juice screws things up...
just a thought...
c
Old 10-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When you say the starter is going bad ? Is it destroying the teeth in The bendix or is the starter motor going bad? If its tearing up the gear it could be an alignment problem or a Voltage problem .... you need to check the Voltage AT the starter when you crank it over .... I think it needs to be 9.7 volts ... I can check tomorrow ....

Its either alignment ....Voltage at the starter ( a bad Connection or cable) .... also I have seen the starter grind when the bolts get loose... you sure they are the right length bolts? ........ Check the Flywheel teeth also as FenderJack stated .... m
Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 PM
T-Mone
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by searaycer
was advised by my engine builder to run another ground to the block off of the starter bolt, dont know if it will save this starter but he swears it is a ground problem.
Thats what my friend Rich Zul thinks its a grounding problem, im gonna try to add another ground to the starter mount bolt.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:56 PM
T-Mone
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by offthefront
When you say the starter is going bad ? Is it destroying the teeth in The bendix or is the starter motor going bad? If its tearing up the gear it could be an alignment problem or a Voltage problem .... you need to check the Voltage AT the starter when you crank it over .... I think it needs to be 9.7 volts ... I can check tomorrow ....

Its either alignment ....Voltage at the starter ( a bad Connection or cable) .... also I have seen the starter grind when the bolts get loose... you sure they are the right length bolts? ........ Check the Flywheel teeth also as FenderJack stated .... m
the teeth on the starter look fine, its just strange how a new starter works fine for a little then starts to grind,if i am loosing ground will the bendix kick back and make it grind under a load?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:02 PM
T-Mone
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Make sure you are using a starter that is made for the number of teeth on your flywheel. They make two different flywheels.The same starter will work on both but not for long. Check the tooth number and make sure you have the starter to match.I have been down this road. Just my 2 cents JOHN
Thanks John,I guess its gonna be a pain in the ass to check the # of teeth on the flywheel in the boat, do you know the diff. between the two starters?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to monitor voltage and ground at the starter when its cranking the engine. If the engine is advanced a little it will fire against the starter, pulling more current and dropping voltage, as voltage drops the solenoid backs off and the drive gear disengages, spins up, re-engages, repeat, all in seconds.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Registered

I was eating starters in my 540's and I solved it by going with Hitachi's, there almost double the torge and dont use the nylon gears inside, also their not that much more than merc's. The only problem is that their a straight bolt pattern, not offset like the merc's, my block is drilled for both,Powermaster makes a offset pattern that is close to the hitachis in torque..http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002&langId=-1
Old 10-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I did not see any marine starters under that link?

Or should I say Coast Guard Approved.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Registered

their not ! grap a can of paint and some stainless nuts and their marinized.. but what would you rather do, keep replacing or be done with it..the starboard motor on my cat you have too pull the motor to change it,so I got sick of it real fast.. on the stocker's all you have to do is hang a start one time or a backfire and their toast..
heres a link to the discussion on this before. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=189243

Last edited by copiercat; 10-07-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: starter problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.