Notices

Stringer delamination?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
Its a nice boat,,,,,,just fix it.

1+1/2 weeks and 2500 bucks ,,,,,done.
then I'd have to keep it. I never planned on keeping this boat for more than a couple years. I hate putting a lot of work into somthing I'm not going to keep. I'd like to have a late 90s early 00s formula in a 35'. I have a set of strokers waiting for the right boat.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sunshadow
then I'd have to keep it. I never planned on keeping this boat for more than a couple years. I hate putting a lot of work into somthing I'm not going to keep. I'd like to have a late 90s early 00s formula in a 35'. I have a set of strokers waiting for the right boat.
Have you brought it to Ron at Fiberglass plus?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DRIPPINWETII
Have you brought it to Ron at Fiberglass plus?
not yet I'll stop by and talk to him before I bring it over. Thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a 1" speed bit and drill a cpl of holes ..... will tell you alot ...m
Old 11-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

People are not buying good running/structure boats for much right now as it is, parting it out is alot of work and will not make it easier to sell off really, I say if you are able to tyake it apart, have a glass guy do the work and put it together yourself, i did it, not that big of a deal. takes 2 days to pull engines, get the interior out, older Baja's or any other are known for these issues,
I am usually a fan of a part out when all else fails, but in this case I think you are better off fixing the boat, selling the bl;owers seperate,return engines back to stock then sell the boat fixed and solid, that way you will still get a decet dollar for it.
454's with blowers are not going to sell thate asy, most people figure tbhey will need redone, drives can be boght for 1500.00 each. like Is ay, prob better off fixing it..

Last edited by Full Force; 11-02-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
People are not buying good running/structure boats for much right now as it is, parting it out is alot of work and will not make it easier to sell off really, I say if you are able to tyake it apart, have a glass guy do the work and put it together yourself, i did it, not that big of a deal. takes 2 days to pull engines, get the interior out, older Baja's or any other are known for these issues,
I am usually a fan of a part out when all else fails, but in this case I think you are better off fixing the boat, selling the bl;owers seperate,return engines back to stock then sell the boat fixed and solid, that way you will still get a decet dollar for it.
454's with blowers are not going to sell thate asy, most people figure tbhey will need redone, drives can be boght for 1500.00 each. like Is ay, prob better off fixing it..
Thanks brother- I probably will I was pretty frustrated when I found it. No real action on ebay. She's put up for the winter now, I don't have anywhere indoors to work on it. I'll break her out early in the spring and tear it apart. I'll take a bunch of pics and post progress on this thread.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks brother- I probably will I was pretty frustrated when I found it. No real action on ebay. She's put up for the winter now, I don't have anywhere indoors to work on it. I'll break her out early in the spring and tear it apart. I'll take a bunch of pics and post progress on this thread.
Thats cool, I hate to see a good boat get taken apart, believe me... I was almost ready to give up at some point!

But now it was all worth it and i know the boat better then anyone, i did everythign BUT the fiberglass work, a long process but looks and runs good now!

Here is my mess...Amazing what you can do with some effort! Threads are from my buddys site.

http://www.islandpirates.net/forum/s...hlight=transom
Old 11-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wood go in there drill several 1/4 holes along the top, deep as you can go, look at the wood that comes out on the bit...wet dry ?? If wet drill holes all along till you get to dry wood, keep the area dry and let it dry for a week or 2, what you want is a swiss cheese look....then start filling with git-rot, take your time, fill slowly, when you get it all filled the stringer will be stronger than when new...this stuff works unreal...Rob
Old 11-03-2008, 02:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I wood go in there drill several 1/4 holes along the top, deep as you can go, look at the wood that comes out on the bit...wet dry ?? If wet drill holes all along till you get to dry wood, keep the area dry and let it dry for a week or 2, what you want is a swiss cheese look....then start filling with git-rot, take your time, fill slowly, when you get it all filled the stringer will be stronger than when new...this stuff works unreal...Rob
I was told that thatonly works if they are just wet, not rotted...if it is delaminated I would say it is rotted, and knowing how baja's were not sealed well I would say do it right.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When I has some issues I looked at product called "Seacast" ... cut the top of the stringer off and remove all wood material and then pour in the seacast and reglass in the cap ...I did not use it however .... went with Coosa High Density Foam ...m

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...project-2.html

http://www.coosacomposites.com/
Attached Thumbnails Stringer delamination?-dsc000687qo.jpg   Stringer delamination?-resize%2520of%2520dsc00001.jpg   Stringer delamination?-dsc00199.jpg  

Quick Reply: Stringer delamination?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.