Notices

Short block questions

Old 11-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short block questions

I have a 468 that needs to be refreshed and I see that World Products has 540 shortblocks at a good price. Is this a decent marine base, or would I have problems? Can the issues be easily corrected? My other thought is to go with a stroker crank and build a 496. Looks like it would cost 2,000 to 2,500 for the stroker crank rods and pistons, then there is the cost of machining my block and assembly. Seems like I am getting closer to the cost of the merlin short block and I don't have as many cubes. Thoughts?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default serious debate

should be just fine.

You've got guys that will tell you you have to have a "specialized marine build" or your engine will go up in smoke in 5 hours and they will tell you you'll need "proper clearances" and marine tolerances.

For the most part a lifetime of building boat engines tells me this is just a load of BS.

In my experience other than camming for torque vs high rpm HP, making sure oil drainback is healthy, and being carefull about the crank cast vs forged a good auto setup makes a good marine setup.

Youll hear tons of guys wailing about horror stories as soon as anyone makes a stand, but anyone thats built/bought big name auto engine will tell you they make real proven power and are anvil like in reliability standard auto guys like -

Reher Morrison (you can find an couple of excellent parts combos on this website) Scoggin Dickey, World Products, Lingenfelter, Steve Schmidt, These guys follows a proper machining procedure using good high quality components and using proven machinery = good engines.

World products makes a great base to start with as long as you put a good recip assembly in it.

Bolt on a proven top end combination (AFR/Brodix/Dart/Demons/bary grants) should provide as much run time as any other quality setup.

Get a forged crank and an upgraded rod package if you fly the boat a lot as the constant load unload prop grabbing the water is harder than an auto app.

I know whole groups of guys that constantly rotate the head/intake upper end combo to a fresh pair of lower ends that are constantly rebuilt with the same standard parts sets.

Its no secret really. Experience+ money+ time=quality & HP.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 Ilmor 710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Old 11-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. The World Producsts short block I am talking about is an assmembly with a forged crank and pistons. The price is $4,809 and has a $300 rebate if done by 12/31/08. Some general talk I have heard in the past is that Marine engines have different clearances than auto engines. I do not know about that for sure though. I think marine uses brass freeze plugs, but that should not be big deal to change and I am running in fresh water anyway. I am comparing going the short block route with upgrading my 468 to a 496. An Eagle rotating assembly is going to cost around $2,200 to 2,500 and then there is the machining and assembly costs. That is starting to get close to the cost of the World Products 540.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 4.25 stroker crank will go in m ost blocks and clear fine, mine did, but some oil pans won't clear...the milodon offshore pan works fine, I have new 489, 4.25 stroke short block, 4 bolt main, gen IV eagle crank and rods, KB forged pistions, 3000 if interested, 540-786-8111, Rob