Notices

I need help

Old 01-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boats unlimited
Next time place a 2 x 4 wood ( could wrap a towel around the 2 x 4) on top of your outdrive in between the drive itself and Gimbals then move outdrive up and down against the wood. This will seperate it. You will not mark the outdrive up either or you can place the wood under the horn and in between the outdrive and move outdrive up and down against the wood (hitting the wood). All boatshops do it that way with drives that are hard to get off. Prying with screw drivers should not be done. Most likely you could have rusted up drive shaft u-joint assembly and rusted up gimbal bearing if this is the case the outdrives are always harder to get off. If your alignment is way off then you will have to turn motor over slightly and then you have to find out why your alignment is off. Could mean a problem or re-adjust motor mounts.
Last time i did it your way ,,i broke a gimbalring on a Bravo.
NO THANKS.
But thats me.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not post knock the chit of it which most likely you did. You broke your ring placing the wood on the top of the outdrive and in between the gimbals. I'm sure you pounded the hiss out of it. If your drive is that hard to get off then their could be a problem with rust or the alingment is off inwhich if you are doing the maintenance to your boat this should be checked at least once a year or 100hrs which ever comes first so you can catch problems before they become bigger problems. Plus you are in salt water world everything breaks when trying to get anything off.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Registered

Next time place a 2 x 4 wood ( could wrap a towel around the 2 x 4) on top of your outdrive in between the drive itself and Gimbals then move outdrive up and down against the wood. This will seperate it. You will not mark the outdrive up either or you can place the wood under the horn and in between the outdrive and move outdrive up and down against the wood (hitting the wood). All boatshops do it that way with drives that are hard to get off. Prying with screw drivers should not be done. Most likely you could have rusted up drive shaft u-joint assembly and rusted up gimbal bearing if this is the case the outdrives are always harder to get off. If your alignment is way off then you will have to turn motor over slightly and then you have to find out why your alignment is off. Could mean a problem or re-adjust motor mounts.
Sounds like solid theory. After hearing from Daredevil, maybe slight increments up and down so as not to stress the gimball ring.
Maybe I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Banned

Just don't go to town with it, everything has its limits plus not to pat myself on the back here but honestly we have done in the thousands of fresh water outdrives that way because not to many just slide off unless they are brand new in which most are a cake walk. Like I said if you have a problem with alignment, a bellows that has leaked water in to that area so now its rusted up, or even a spun coupler can make it very very hard to pull an outdrive off. good luck

Last edited by Boats unlimited; 01-13-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Registered

Boats, if I had a spun bearing or alignment issue, would I have shaving on the drain plug magnet? There was very little metal (powder) on the magnet... I was happily surprised.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Banned

drive oil has nothing to do with the Gimbal bearing. Your driveshaft- u-joint assembly goes right thru it ( gimbal bearing) then splines into the engine coupler. has nothing to do with the internals of your outdrive itself. the gimbal bearing can get rusted up along with the driveshaft-u-joint assembly making it very hard sometimes to pull the outdrive, (how they get rusted is another story). A spun engine coupler kind of wraps itself and or melts itself around the the splines of the u-joint drive shaft remember this shaft splines itself into that engine coupler. to do an engine alignment you would need the alignment tool 1st of all. You stab the tool thru the gimbal bearing and into the engine coupler all the way and pull it out with very little resistance going in and pulling out. if this can not be done then you have to raise or lower your motor mounts to get the recommended alignment. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by Boats unlimited; 01-13-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Registered

It makes sense. Now I'm getting worried-lol. I'll check it out my next day off. Thanks I appreciate the info, I'll post with results.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Banned

I re posted after you to try to make some more sense. also no offense but i see this alot if you do not know what you doing sometimes its a lot less money to a have a recommended boat shop work on your boat. I see it all time, people screwing up their own stuff try to fix something or like something simple as to - I hope you know you fill your outdrive with gear oil from the bottom up leaving the vent plug out and the res.cap off when oil comes out the vent plug put drain plug and new o-ring gasket in then fill up res.. the reason I wonder how many people do not know the answer on this board. Air pockets will happen if you do not fill from the bottom up. This will bring an incorrect oil level if you do not fill from the bottom up and leave vent plug out until oil comes out of it. OMC Cobra's are done from the middle plug.

Last edited by Boats unlimited; 01-13-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

When this happened to me I had to sawzall the coupler and shaft it's a real ***** funny thing was after getting drve off pulled motor put on new coupler and pit motor back in had offshore mounts and aliggnment tool agent right in still don't know why would not come off
I had also taken to my merc shop and he could not get it off either

A suggestion from a guy later was to connect trim cylinders back up and put 4 x4 in drive and trim all the way down to try and pop off wish I had that advice before sawzall
Old 01-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Registered

I re posted after you to try to make some more sense. also no offense but i see this alot if you do not know what you doing sometimes its a lot less money to a have a recommended boat shop work on your boat. I see it all time, people screwing up their own stuff try to fix something or like something simple as to - I hope you know you fill your outdrive with gear oil from the bottom up leaving the vent plug out and the res.cap off when oil comes out the vent plug put drain plug and new o-ring gasket in then fill up res.. the reason I wonder how many people do not know the answer on this board. Air pockets will happen if you do not fill from the bottom up. This will bring an incorrect oil level if you do not fill from the bottom up and leave vent plug out until oil comes out of it. OMC Cobra's are done from the middle plug.

No offense taken, the thought crossed my mind that I should have just taken it to the shop. I have done this once before and had no problem... thought it was actually easy. I didn't forsee this type of prob. I know to fill from the bottom up. Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.