Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Installing thru hull and sea cock? >

Installing thru hull and sea cock?

Notices

Installing thru hull and sea cock?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing thru hull and sea cock?

ok, im going to be installing a seacock for raw water onto my old mans new boat. just want to see what you guys think.
i was planning on just using 1 1/4" stainless screws that would give about 1" into the boat. i was going to do a very slight counter sink into it so it wont crack. is this good or should i use longer screws, or threw bolt it? i think thew bolting would be 3 more chance of leak, and longer screws would be 3 more chance of cracking.
whay do you guys think?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by noyzee
ok, im going to be installing a seacock for raw water onto my old mans new boat. just want to see what you guys think.
i was planning on just using 1 1/4" stainless screws that would give about 1" into the boat. i was going to do a very slight counter sink into it so it wont crack. is this good or should i use longer screws, or threw bolt it? i think thew bolting would be 3 more chance of leak, and longer screws would be 3 more chance of cracking.
whay do you guys think?
I think thru bolt it and also use 5200 !!!! On the thruhull and the bolts .
Never gona leak !!!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Registered

im just scared to put all those holes in one spot. hhmmmmm, i know thew bolt will hold it best
Old 03-31-2009, 01:38 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
Never gona leak !!!
What he said!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

same when installing new bilge drain? removed my old copper one & putting in a stainless one.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BDiggity
same when installing new bilge drain? removed my old copper one & putting in a stainless one.
YEP
Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Never gona leak !!!
that,s how i do it,i also make a round plate to put inside the boat.don,t try to seal it with rtv silicone,get the 5200.it takes 7 days to completly work,but it will not leak.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Registered

should i make a stainless plate arounf the thru hull with the outside larger then the seacock so when i thew bolt it i wont use washers i can go thew the stainless ring? on the 5200 i got the fast cure 5200, good? and how do i use it? drill the hole put 5200 in the hole and on the bolt slide it threw and dab it on again?

again, im new to this, just looking to save some $$ im plenty able to do the work, i just want to be sure i do it correct

thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by noyzee
should i make a stainless plate arounf the thru hull with the outside larger then the seacock so when i thew bolt it i wont use washers i can go thew the stainless ring? on the 5200 i got the fast cure 5200, good? and how do i use it? drill the hole put 5200 in the hole and on the bolt slide it threw and dab it on again?

again, im new to this, just looking to save some $$ im plenty able to do the work, i just want to be sure i do it correct

thanks
The fast cure is the best,,,,just drill all your holes ,,then aply 5200 on the thru hull and mount it ,,,put a little of 5200 on each bolt and in the hole and be done !!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Registered

The fast cure is the best,,,,just drill all your holes ,,then aply 5200 on the thru hull and mount it ,,,put a little of 5200 on each bolt and in the hole and be done !!
ok, sounds like what i was planning. cool. thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Installing thru hull and sea cock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.