Notices

Gimble/Transom assembly?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Codered
Sleek 1 Thanks my gimbal is a older 1, Can you drill and tap the newer ones to take a grease fitting. It seems to me a grease fitting in this location is a worth while addition. Wouldnt a grease fitting here help keep corrosion down thus lessening the problems in this area. Just a thought
I couldn't give you an educated answer on that. My mechanic seems to think the problem is with the seals that keep water from the swivel pin. I think greasing it would just prolong your problem. I would be afraid to drill the housing because you will most likely get shavings in your gear case. I had my engines pulled because my transom gasket was leaking ($9.00 gasket). So I went ahead and replaced the swivel pins, bellows, water hoses, etc. I'm just of the thought the swivel pins will need to be replaced every ten years or so unless you're lucky.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Ron Bender's kit works great and looks good. Search in the Active Thunder section for a thread called "Inactive Thunder" . I have pics there that detail the steps to fixing the gimbal ring and swivel pin.

Ron Bender sends you a kit with some tools to disassemble the transom. You send the gimbal rings to Ron Bender. He welds them up and CNC's them and sends them back.

Great guy and is a big help if you need to call him.
How do you set the tolerance for the swivel pin with the transom assembly still intact? I understand you cut out the top part of the assembly, but is there room to get gauges in there and work?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by sleek1
How do you set the tolerance for the swivel pin with the transom assembly still intact? I understand you cut out the top part of the assembly, but is there room to get gauges in there and work?
The tolerances that need to be checked are done with feeler gauges that can be performed with the transom assembly still on the boat.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Registered

Gotcha, thanks.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
The odds are pretty good that the degredation of the pin and the ring are what is also causing your "play". Ron Bender at www.JRmarine.com is a respected member on here who can fix your ring and you can replace the swivel pin and seal.

Check out his website and it will clarify what I am talking about. I fixed my swivel seals this spring because one was leaking. I recommend replacing EVERYTHING while you have it all off - Bushings, pins, Bearings, Gimbal Bearing, seals, Hoses, bellows, etc..... Pricey but fantastic peace of mind...

I looked at this kit but it only shows a blank stainless plate covering the finished job. Did you put any Merc decals or anything over the plate? I like the kit but not sure I like the looks of the plate.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 830 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by splashandburn
I looked at this kit but it only shows a blank stainless plate covering the finished job. Did you put any Merc decals or anything over the plate? I like the kit but not sure I like the looks of the plate.
Me - I personally just pulled the engines and fixed it that way.

BUT in this thread it looks as if someone has painted it black or something.....can't really tell....

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...ng-repair.html