Notices

Stereo Pops When Triming

Old 08-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo Pops When Triming

Got a question. If I have the Stereo Playing and I hit the trim switch either for the drives or the tabs, I get a Pop though the system as soon at the solenoid engauges. Anyone else had this problem and if so, what did they do about it?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a bad ground some place. The other thing that can cause this is voltage drop if you have small wires.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Run your grounds from your stereo and amps if applicable straight to the battery.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Registered
Gold Member

The 2 Trim pumps on the Starboard Side are grounded straight to the Starboard Battery. The 2 on the Port Side are grounded straight to the Port Battery. The amps and deck are Powered and grounded to the Port battery with 4 Gauge. I dont see how i could have a bad ground unless the deck isnt grounded to that 4 gauge and is somehow grounded somewhere else. Hmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could it be possible that the arc created by the contacts in the solenoid is like a miniture lightning strike? Your pops could just be the system picking up this discharge. I have heard similar with mine when I have forgotten to turn it off when starting the engines. I don't use the stereo with the engines running, no point can't hear it.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would fallow all your grounds and see were they go. If they are grounded together to the battery directly (amps and head unit) then you may have a bad component. What kind of equipment do you have?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Its got to be a ground issue. I'm thinking the deck isnt grounded with the amps through the 4 gauge and since neither motor is in the boat now, I'm sure its that. I'm going to rewire the deck ground and go from there.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Registered

Had the same problem. It is a ground issue. Run a GOOD ground to the deck. Sounds like your amps are grounded good.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it comes from the amps picking up contacts in the other electronics, note sure you can cure it..like to know if you do though...Rob
Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a few steps you can take to eliminate it or at least minimize it.
* Try lowering the amplifier input gain.
* Try an RCA ground loop isolator between the head unit and amplifier.
* Remove the source unit positive and negative from the factory harness and hook those up to the amplifier pos. and neg. at the amplifier and not at the battery. If you want to maintain the keyed function then add a relay.
* Ground the pump and pump relay to the engine block with a larger cable and quality lugs.
* Try a polarized 16 volt 10,000 MFD capacitor across the pos. & neg. of the pump supply or pump relay.
* Make certain that the batteries have good ground connections to the engine blocks.

Sorry I don't have better news. It's alot of effort. One or multiples of the above procedures usually work. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.