Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Budget Boat Build 233 Eclipse >

Budget Boat Build 233 Eclipse

Notices

Budget Boat Build 233 Eclipse

Old 08-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for the engine guys. I got a bunch of parts. Going to build a 383 External balance (Detroit). Does just the flywheel need to match or does the flywheel and damper need to be amatched set?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
There's a bloke on here, TomZ who built a mean 383 for his Chris Craft Stinger 222 who could give you a few tips for the build. As long as you're gentle on the up and downs, the Alpha will hold well enough to get you going.

Make sure you start shopping for a good aftermarket exhaust straight up. Don't bother with stock, you'll just want to replace it later and unless it's free, it's not worth it!

If you know the package you want for the engine, great. If not, start looking for key parts; intake, carb and exhaust. I'd run a 750 DP on a decent 383. Intake? Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap. Good Cheap manifolds? harder to find for the SBC but you could get the GLMs faily easy and grab a good set of Stainless risers to fit.

I'd do the motor and wiring / plumbing first, then worry about the interior. Saves getting it dirty!

If you run an SB2 Block (roller), I have a surplus NASCAR cam sitting around you can have! I can't find the damn spec card though, it must have gone with my last boat's receipts.

Good Luck!!

Thanks Ghost. I got Tom Z to give me his specs and will do the best I can to match.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Registered

would love to see pics of the deck of your boat. I've got a 233 Eclipse also and was wondering what was under the deck.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by amanphoto
would love to see pics of the deck of your boat. I've got a 233 Eclipse also and was wondering what was under the deck.
Unfortunatly I've put it in storage for the winter. I'm working on the engine right now. Should have my block, rods and pistons back from the VT engine this week. I'll post pics of interior work in the spring.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sunshadow
Question for the engine guys. I got a bunch of parts. Going to build a 383 External balance (Detroit). Does just the flywheel need to match or does the flywheel and damper need to be amatched set?
yep..they need to match. 400 small block dampeer should do it
Old 09-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Registered

Your local welder could ad a 90 degree-turn on your exhaust for a bottle of Jack.....otherwise there are good aftermarket parts at www.cpperformance.com that will let you exit below the swimplatform...I had a Wellcraft 197 with exhausts above the platsform and:
1. It was loud
2. It got very dirty around the pipes and it was smearing down the platform....

= less girls wanna ride with a dirty and loud boat

Godd luck over the winter with the engine
Old 10-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Registered

Here's the block in primer and notched for the stroke. Notched it myself it only took about an hour.
Attached Thumbnails Budget Boat Build 233 Eclipse-dscn8172.jpg  
Old 10-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered

Rotating assembly in paint. Scat crank and rods SRP pistons should be around 10 to 1. Need to choose a cam before I can go on.
Attached Thumbnails Budget Boat Build 233 Eclipse-dscn8173.jpg  
Old 10-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waster99
Your local welder could ad a 90 degree-turn on your exhaust for a bottle of Jack.....otherwise there are good aftermarket parts at www.cpperformance.com that will let you exit below the swimplatform...I had a Wellcraft 197 with exhausts above the platsform and:
1. It was loud
2. It got very dirty around the pipes and it was smearing down the platform....

= less girls wanna ride with a dirty and loud boat

Godd luck over the winter with the engine
This is what I usually carry, I'm sure she dosn't want to clean the transom with her bikini bottom.
Attached Thumbnails Budget Boat Build 233 Eclipse-hotsher.jpg  
Old 10-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Registered

Nah.....that might be a stretch.....take care, and good luck..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.