Budget Boat Build 233 Eclipse >

Budget Boat Build 233 Eclipse

Notices

Budget Boat Build 233 Eclipse

Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk232
for the lifters, you need to make sure they are primed with oil before setting the 1/4 turn. typically soaking them in oil for a couple days is one way. another way is to set them to zero lash and crank the motor with the valve covers off, slowly tightnening the poly lock until no more "clatter" (this insures zero lash), then put 1/4 turn (because the engine is running, lifters will be primed). another thing to make sure of is that you were setting the lifters while at TDC for that cylinder...

tip: if you think you will have an oil mess with the valve covers off, pre cut some cardboard to stand up on the out sides of the head to keep the oil contained. in my experience, it is an un needed step, though i have heard stories of oil flying!!
I read on Crane's website that the lifters don't have to be primed. That aside when I was putting things together I did soak them. I also spun the oil pump with a drill. I also cranked it over about a million times thinking my timing was off before I did a compression check. I would think after all that they should be primed. When I took the valve covers off the first thing I did was check for adjustment they were all still at a quarter past zero. I set them at zero again and watched the quarter turn push the valve open about 1/32???
I don't get it.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Registered

hmm you are beyond me. i have never heard of a hydraulic lifter of any brand that didnt need to be primed. are you sure that you have the right length pushrods? the lifters should be able to "absorb" the 1/4 turn in their "hydraulic movement range"(dont know the technical terms) if they are true hydraulic and are primed correctly. also, are you positive that you dont have valves with longer stems ( i know they make them +.100 maybe others as well)

there are only three possibilites really, pushrods too long, valve stems too long, or incorrect lifters (maybe packaged wrong??)

someone else chime in and teach me something if I am overlooking anything!!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Registered

Cool project,
Sounds like you are either not on the cam base circle or setting 0 lash when the lifter is fully collapsed/fully pumped up.
I would;
-loosen both #1 rockers
-set to TDC #1
-slowly tighten #1 ex. rocker nut WHILE spinning the pushrod with your fingers. At the point you feel the pushrod give you slight resistance, you have 0 lash. Do not overpower the plunger in the lifter.
Then add your quarter turn.
-Do #1 in.

If you valve moves at all, your soaking may have caused the lifter to act soild, the reason companies do not want you to soak or pump up.
They do not bleed down easily, back off the quarter turn + so you can get it started. Once started the pressure will bleed off and the valve train will become noisy. shut it down and reset all of them.
This is less than ideal since break in of a hydraulic flat tappet is critical in keeping the cam lobes alive........

Don't forget your break in lube and instructions for break in (RPM to keep lifters rotating).
Hope it helps
Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would set them loose like zero or a little open. then adjust with the engine running. If you crank them down too fast you can feel the engine miss so you have to turn them in slow. I have a set of clips that snap over the rocker oil hole and deflect the oil down into the rocker arm. It's messy and makes a lot of smoke but you will only have to do it once.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

a little off the current topic but i was wondering if you had your block decked and did you degree the cam during installation? I know this not relevant to your current dilema but i was considering having it done to my build
Old 06-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
a little off the current topic but i was wondering if you had your block decked and did you degree the cam during installation? I know this not relevant to your current dilema but i was considering having it done to my build
I did have the block decked. I did not degree the cam. I didn't feel it necessary for what I was trying to get out of this engine.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Damn Yankee
Cool project,
Sounds like you are either not on the cam base circle or setting 0 lash when the lifter is fully collapsed/fully pumped up.
I would;
-loosen both #1 rockers
-set to TDC #1
-slowly tighten #1 ex. rocker nut WHILE spinning the pushrod with your fingers. At the point you feel the pushrod give you slight resistance, you have 0 lash. Do not overpower the plunger in the lifter.
Then add your quarter turn.
-Do #1 in.

If you valve moves at all, your soaking may have caused the lifter to act soild, the reason companies do not want you to soak or pump up.
They do not bleed down easily, back off the quarter turn + so you can get it started. Once started the pressure will bleed off and the valve train will become noisy. shut it down and reset all of them.
This is less than ideal since break in of a hydraulic flat tappet is critical in keeping the cam lobes alive........

Don't forget your break in lube and instructions for break in (RPM to keep lifters rotating).
Hope it helps
I feel like a real azz with this problem. I've built several engines and have never had this problem. I'm going to break in the cam @ zero lash. once I've run it for 20 min I'll recheck and adjust the valves again. I'll have trouble (or more work) setting them when running because of the exhaust work I've done. The exhaust manifolds need to come off in order to get the valve covers off. pita. I expect to have it worked out and tuned by Saturday.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Registered

Sounds like your lifters are fully pumped up. Can you move the plunger on your lifters by hand?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Registered

Broke in the cam and got it pretty well dialed in. currently set @ 39 degrees total advance. Idles real nice @ 720 rpm has that great lopy sound. Time to clean up the rigging and put some carpet in.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Registered

how did you finally set lash?

congrats on getting it all done, bet that feels good!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.