Notices

Some modifications?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by Eclipse232
Well that kinda sucks about the cam. I have a 1990 wellcraft eclipse that I swapped out a 350 with a 454. I ran the exhaust out the sides because i didnt want an exhaust on top of my swim platform so I had to make custom exhaust tubes. The aluminum risers along with the exhaust tubes just make it past the inside of the swim platform. I may not even be able to use the long risers let alone the fact that I dont really feel like buying another set of risers.

Is there any cam that I can use that wont have any issues with the aluminum emi thunder risers? Another cam i was lookin at was this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K11-445-8/

This cam's exhaust duration is 224. Which fits under Alan454's suggestion. But honestly I dont quite understand it.
I apologize for my lack of knowledge about cams and the effects exhaust risers have on them.
I appreciate all the help guys. Thank you
Other than being a roller cam, the specs are nearly the same as a stock 454mag flat tappet cam. In other words, its not worth changing to because the gains with be miniscule.

The magnum intake is pretty good. You could keep it and add a high quality carb spacer.

With the limits of the exhaust on cam selection, I would just leave it stock. Any cam that will work and not revert water will not give hardly gain.

The other option is to supercharge it. Use a procharger with low boost if you have hatch clearance issues. You will at least see some decent gains.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Eclipse232
Thank you very much! Thats exactly what i wanted to hear! Yes my intake is aluminum, ive heard before that its not that bad of an intake, so i will probably just be replacing the cam and carb. Might just save the money from the intake. I dont want to get into the heads and mess with the comp, i like that the way it is. I was just lookin for a little extra. Thank You

i know what your going through and it sucks to hear all the things your hearing hear but much of it is true. griff is right in regards to the cam specs. i was thinking the same thing last night but didn't have the mag specs in front of me. the one you posted might be a little duration and lift but not enough for your engine to even notice the difference. it's always fun to work on engines though. i have been doing different things for years and just enjoy trying different combinations etc. the reversion is what sucks for you however i still think you have some options. there is a cam that i installed in a friends boat engine a while back and he loves it. it was a very similar combo with the exception of the heads. he had oval port with the same size valves yours has. we also used a holley 750 dp. and his comp. was 9 to 1.

the one thing that really bothers me with with hyd. flat tappet cams know is the lacking of ingrediants (zinc) in todays oils. the flat tappet cams have a tendancy of rather short life. you never know for certain though.

the cam we used was the comp xm278h. it has all around good performance and sounds pretty wicked also.

234/244 - 565/566
112 lobe sep.

i've always wanted to try this cam and finally had the chance. so far so good.

http://www.compcams.com/base/multime...ompcams278.mp3

you may consult with bob also and see what he has to say if you want expert advise. he may really help you in the long run and has helped many individuals here on the board.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i were to supercharge my boat, i wouldnt have to do anything extra such as motor work correct? I would assume i weould need to replace the carb. And also get a new prop with more pitch. But minus those two things would i need anyuthing else? Also whats the cheapest supercharger? Would you procharge it or get a roots style?