Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Synthic Oil Or Non Synthic For Mercruisrer 7.4 ? >

Synthic Oil Or Non Synthic For Mercruisrer 7.4 ?

Notices

Synthic Oil Or Non Synthic For Mercruisrer 7.4 ?

Old 01-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
That sounds pretty normal for a stock motor. I think the manual states that as low as 6 psi at warm idle is OK.
That pressure is fine. Oil pressure is a funny thing. What causes pressure? Resistance. Therefore if you have too much pressure, you actually probably don't have the best protection you can have. Obviously you need some pressure, however, you're main concern is Volume! Higher oil volume, which synthetics can produce due to their lower initial viscosities, will give you much better protection and longevity of critical engine components. Your AMSOIL 10w-40 is good choice.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

??? Then why does Mercury Racing ship the HP 500 with Mobil 1?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 AM
Registered

Here in Italy I find without problems the Royal Purple. I have 525sc, do you suggest the 20W50 RP or XRP (Racing oil) ?

Thanks all !!!!!!!!!!!

SIMON
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 134 Likes on 48 Posts

I ran dino oil for 1st 10 hrs. Ran M-1 15-50 for next 245 hrs with 25 hr changes. Engines use no oil, are spotless inside, switched to M-1 V twin 20-50 before LI race and saw an increase in oil pressure across the board, after 6 hr beating oil pressure is the same, and engines still run like new. I'm sticking with it. It's not easy to find. I had to go to the wholesaler to get cases.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
Mercury Racing does not recommend Synthetic motor oil.

This is true, they claim the synthetic oil run off internal parts over time causing dry starts. Conventional oil will bond to internal parts.

I have pulled a motor apart that was sitting for several month with synthetic oil and those internals were dry as could be.

But if you are starting ur motors on a weekly basis there in nothing to worry about. That is why it is great in automotives.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kragar
What is acceptable Oil pressure on a stock motor at High RPM and what should it drop to at idle? I can run 40PSI at high rpm and when it drops to idle on after a longer run it can drop to 10 psi at idle. Running 10W40 Amsoil? I been told to run anything from SAE 30 to 20W50. 502 Motor.
10PSI for every 1K RPM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by dewayne6243
This is true, they claim the synthetic oil run off internal parts over time causing dry starts. Conventional oil will bond to internal parts.

I have pulled a motor apart that was sitting for several month with synthetic oil and those internals were dry as could be.

But if you are starting ur motors on a weekly basis there in nothing to worry about. That is why it is great in automotives.

I just pulled the valve covers off my motor and it's been sitting since early October and the top end had oil on everything. After 100hrs the motor looked brand new, the inside of the valve covers were still bright aluminum color, no varnish. I run Amsoil 2 seasons and I can't tell the difference between the old and new. Maybe it's the Amsoil EAO76 filter I use (almost 2 quart synthetic). When people make claims, ask for the data. Amsoil has done more testing then anyone.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I just pulled the valve covers off my motor and it's been sitting since early October and the top end had oil on everything. After 100hrs the motor looked brand new, the inside of the valve covers were still bright aluminum color, no varnish. I run Amsoil 2 seasons and I can't tell the difference between the old and new. Maybe it's the Amsoil EAO76 filter I use (almost 2 quart synthetic). When people make claims, ask for the data. Amsoil has done more testing then anyone.

I would believe Mercury has done more testing on there motors that Amsoil has.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dewayne6243
I would believe Mercury has done more testing on there motors that Amsoil has.
Mercury doesn't make oil. They may test oils, but they don't make it. AMSOIL makes oil, and makes it to the best of their ability to perform in certain conditions.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Mercury doesn't make oil. They may test oils, but they don't make it. AMSOIL makes oil, and makes it to the best of their ability to perform in certain conditions.
I ordered a case of hd marine amsoil 15w-40, $31/gallon. Is that price in line 07dominator?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.